UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Feb 2017, 3:28 pm   #1
els1967
Pentode

Default Question about the 3.3k resistor in vintage phones

I was wondering about what sort of wattage was required for the 3.3k resistor installed on vintage phones to allow them to work on modern telco lines. I did find a thread here...

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=83570

...that answered my question but it did get me wondering about it. Sorry if I'm missing something blindingly obvious but when I plug in the numbers to find the required wattage for the resistor on the ringing current I get...(using a 75vac ringing current)

75vac x 75vac / 3300 ohm = 1.7 watts

so shouldn't the minimum spec be for a 2 watt resistor?

Old 22nd Feb 2017, 4:16 pm   #2
Station X

Default Re: Question about the 3.3k resistor in vintage phones

I haven't done the calculations, but you've missed out the impedance of the bell coils and the capacitor in the master jack. Also the resistor isn't passing continuous current.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 22nd Feb 2017, 4:42 pm   #3
Hartley118
Nonode

It's easier to start off with the typical ringing current of 20mA AC.

Watts = IsquaredR= 0.02x0.02x 3300, which I reckon is 1.3 watts.

I guess that a conservative approach would suggest a 2W resistor, but as ringing current doesn't last long, the rating is strictly intermittent, and a 1W resistor should do the job.

Martin
Old 22nd Feb 2017, 5:17 pm   #4

Never had a problem with 1/4 W jobbies.

Old 22nd Feb 2017, 6:43 pm   #5
TonyDuell
Dekatron

FWIW I normally fit 2W resistors here. It's not as though there's limited space for them. And the extra cost for the few I've fitted is 'lost in the noise'
Old 22nd Feb 2017, 7:11 pm   #6
space charge
Tetrode

as I recall the bell coils are resonant at 17.6 Hz How does that affect the mathematics? EI7KA.
Old 23rd Feb 2017, 9:06 am   #7
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinmaxwell View Post
Never had a problem with 1/4 W jobbies.
Nor have I. I wouldn't worry too much about wattage.
Old 23rd Feb 2017, 10:53 am   #8
Hartley118
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by space charge View Post
as I recall the bell coils are resonant at 17.6 Hz How does that affect the mathematics? EI7KA.
That would be very surprising because the bell coils would need to have a very high inductance around 40H to resonate at 17Hz with the 1.8uF series capacitor .

In any case, the typical 20mA ringing current figure would still apply.

Martin
Old 23rd Feb 2017, 2:03 pm   #9
russell_w_b
Dekatron

A telephone bell movement (59A) is typically 2740 Ohms Z at 25Hz, or around 1776 + j2085. When the 1u8 capacitor is in circuit, the impedance becomes 1776 - j1451 (around 2294 Ohms Z) and for, say a 90V ringing supply, a current of about 42mA will flow.

The cap in the master LJU will have about 140V dropped across it.

A 3k3 resistor added will result in a series circuit with bell and capacitor (for one telephone ringer) equating to -j3536 (capacitor) +j 2085 (typical bell-bobbins) + 1776 Ohms (a.c. resistance of bell-bobbins including eddy current and hysteresis loss, being in-phase) + 3300 Ohms. This is an impedance of about 5279 Ohms Z.

Assume a 75V ringing voltage and you'll draw a current of about 14mA. Even with a higher ringing voltage pushing 16mA through the 3k3 resistor, you'll only be dropping 53V across it, and it will dissipate a power of just over 800mW. And that would be continuous use!

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 23rd Feb 2017, 2:16 pm   #10
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by space charge View Post
as I recall the bell coils are resonant at 17.6 Hz
The bell-bobbins approach resonance (but are still a way off it) when two are in series through one capacitor. You then have an impedance of 3552 + j634, so not all inductance has been cancelled out by the 1u8 capacitor.

Earlier bells were wound to be optimised at 16 2/3Hz, being one-third mains frequency but I haven't done any investigation of those. 2uF caps were used back then too.

A 59A bell-motor has an inductance, fully loaded with magnetic ironwork, of about 8.6 Henries at 16 2/3 Hz, diminishing to 8.1 Henries at 25 Hz, and dropping to 2.68 Henries at 1kHz. The impedance, respectively varies from 1100 + j900 at 16 2/3 Hz to 12350 + j 16850 at 1kHz. The impedance, therefore at 1kHz (speech) will be 20891 Ohms Z and will not affect speech circuits.

These figures, incidentally, were acquired over a frequency range driving a constant 42.5uA through the bell motor. At a higher current of 3mA, the inductance ranges from 14.4 Henries at 25Hz to 3.7 Henries at 1kHz. I couldn't do 16 2/3 Hz as the PA 100V line-output amp I was using started to wobble a bit!

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 23rd Feb 2017, 2:25 pm   #11
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Maybe worth pointing out that I believe this bell-design to be no accident. Most power will be developed in the bell-motor when the resistance is the same as the inductive reactance. As is seen from my earlier post, the resistance of the bobbins is similar to the reactance.

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Closed Thread