UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Jan 2017, 1:26 pm   #1
awc
Retired Dormant Member

Default Goldring Lenco L70 Headshell wiring issue

Having brought the deck out of retirement (the loft) where it had languished for many years and procured a replacement "tire" from Portugal, I realised I would need to change the plug on the output lead from a DIN 5 pin to phono plugs. Simple eh?

I did the job and confidently plugged it in, only to be greeted with a loud hum which seemed to emanate from only one channel.. Perplexed, I checked my re-wiring but could find no fault.

After much head scratching and frustration I concluded the fault must be in the headshell and having used the buzzing test to confirm the location of the live connections, found that the green and white wires were transposed!

Given that the leads looked as if they had been like that from new, presumably the previous owner had put up with the resultant noise!

Moral: Never assume it's you and not the manufacturer who've got it wrong!
Old 25th Jan 2017, 11:31 pm   #2
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Default Re: Goldring Lenco L70 Headshell wiring issue

I've lost count of the number of times I've found faults that must have been there from new. It's easy to doubt your own judgement, but in time you learn to trust it. There's a popular phrase "it must have worked once" but that's not infallible!

Well done on sorting the problem. Hum problems in low level audio circuits can be a right pain.

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Closed Thread