UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Sep 2006, 9:20 pm   #1
yestertech
Nonode

Default Roberts R707 - any good ?

Just been handed one of these as a non-worker. Incredibly heavy set and having opened it I see why - 2 996 batteries !! BLIMEY
Does anyone have a view as to repairability, given that I spyed a couple of modules within ?
Cosmetically, the set seems excellent, underneath the grime.
Off to buy a couple of batteries tomorrow ...... Andy

OOPS - wrong section I suspect, perphas MODs could redirect.... ?
Old 6th Sep 2006, 9:43 pm   #2
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.
Default Re: Roberts R707 - any good ?

You may find the batteries expensive! If you need 18v total, have you seen the thread in the general section? Dave
Old 6th Sep 2006, 9:56 pm   #3
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave walsh View Post
If you need 18v total...
Better make that 12 volts The R707's a very fine set when working, perhaps Roberts' best transistor portable ever: and a few brave souls have ventured inside the modules and sorted out AF11x problems. I'll give it a try myself one day.

Paul
Old 6th Sep 2006, 11:48 pm   #4
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

As has been said, the R707 is among the better performing Roberts of its period when in good order. It does, however, suffer the AF problem, as has also been stated, as well as the other usual Roberts problems of dodgy earphone jack, poor soldering etc. Cracked pcb tracks are also not unknown.

Don't let this deter you though, they're not too awkward to work on ( if necessary ) and this is especially so when compared to that damn R700 model

If you need to open up a module to deal with any AF problem, it may be wise to trot off to Maplins for some silicon BF450/RA replacements and be rid of the AF problem once and for all.

Don't be put off by the 707 using two 996 batteries; a new pair of these will last for yonks and Wilkinsons do them for either £2.99 or £3.99. Can't recall which of those prices it is but whatever, they're reasonable value.
Old 7th Sep 2006, 12:33 am   #5
Tim
Dekatron

Hello sets appeal.
I have three R707s under this roof at the moment, all of which work.
Two simply required a good dose of switch cleaner to the switch bank and off they went, a disadvantage brought about by having push buttons on the top. All the dirt and crud falls in..........
The other was obtained working.
I had trouble with the earphone jack on one of them( my fault, I foolishly plugged some headphones in) but this was soon cured by bending a tag on
the rear of the jack.
If yours is a later model(with the rectangular badge) it probably has a DC power jack. Centre is +ve. As has been previously stated these monsters require two 996 lantern batteries, but battery life is good. VHF only runs to 104 though. Bearing in mind this was a top of the range Roberts set it comes as no surprise sound quality is excellent, (perhaps not quite as good as say a Hacker Sovereign,)and there is plenty of volume if required.
IMHO a worthwile set and certainly worth giving houseroom.
These sets seem to come with the plain black or silver trimmed buttons.
Whatever the fault turns out to be, good luck.I am sure you won't regret any time spent on it.
Tim
Old 7th Sep 2006, 12:36 am   #6
paulsherwin

I've seen 996 batteries on market stalls for as little as £1.50. I don't know what they'd be like in an R707 but they're fine in my big torch

Paul
Old 7th Sep 2006, 7:55 am   #7
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

I have an R707 in regular use. The batteries have lasted about 15 months up to now, and still work despite voltage being about 7. Wilko sell them.

Fortunately, mine is now in almost mint condition after repairing the end of the largest aerial tube, and the AF transwhiskers are still there, waiting to jump out at me when least expected.

They are a nice looking set and perform nearly as well as a Hacker RP25
Old 7th Sep 2006, 8:15 pm   #8
telstar
Octode

Hi. My father bought one of these sets in the 1970's. We still have the radio today, but I found that the main fault was the resistor from the positive supply line to the i.f module had gone o/c - it is unusual for a resistor of this value to go like this, unless Roberts had purchased some "cheap" components !Also the volume control can be a problem - noisy, and does not respond very well to cleaning. There is also a loud noise when the set is switched off (probably a capacitor fault ?).
They are a good sounding set.
Mike
Old 7th Sep 2006, 8:57 pm   #9
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by telstar View Post
Also the volume control can be a problem - noisy, and does not respond very well to cleaning. There is also a loud noise when the set is switched off (probably a capacitor fault ?).
Mike
Funny this, because when my R707 was in my kitchen I had similar problems with the volume control. For the last few months the radio has resided in a bedroom and the pot problems have vanished. Obviously, in my case at least, the radio was effected by ambient conditions.

What exactly does 'loud noise' mean ? The only noise from mine is an errrr .... 'electronic clunk' at the speaker when the on/off contacts operate. It is not, however, any worse than on other Roberts sets I have/have had.
Old 8th Sep 2006, 12:44 am   #10
stevekendal
Heptode

I have a tatty R707, picked up at a flea market for £6, works great as found. OTOH I once fitted new trannies to an RF module from a Dynatron rally. Biggest problem was getting it out from under the wave switch wires, but you need a good pair of glasses. Nice sounding radio, the Roberts Steve.
Old 8th Sep 2006, 9:10 pm   #11
yestertech
Nonode

Thanks everyone for your thoughts - I managed to get two Panasonic 996 batteries at my local trade counter for the princely sum of 2.94 ( for two ! )
Tomorrow, I can find out if there's any signs of life ! ANDY
Old 9th Sep 2006, 10:30 am   #12
telstar
Octode

Hi. The sound that eminates from my Roberts R707 set, when switching off, is not the mechanical sound that you would expect, but a kind of electrical noise which occurs just after switch off, and then fades itself("scratch"), after the set has been on for a while. Obviously, I can not ask for assistance on this section, but I just stated the symptom on describing the Roberts R707 set in general.
Regards
Mike
Old 9th Sep 2006, 2:06 pm   #13
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

I've taken the liberty of continuing this thread in the ' Repair Help - Electrical' department if anyone wishes to add anything about the scratchy fading thingybob.
Old 9th Sep 2006, 5:12 pm   #14
yestertech
Nonode

Yeehaaaa ! just bunged the batteries in and it works a treat on all bands !
What a corker of a set. Andy
Old 11th Sep 2006, 1:42 am   #15
Tim
Dekatron

For a good test try "Masters of Rock" on a Thursday night. Radio 2. I can rattle my windows.
Old 12th Sep 2006, 10:51 am   #16
GJR 11L
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
For a good test try "Masters of Rock" on a Thursday night. Radio 2. I can rattle my windows.
Know what you're saying, I've had 707s before, but this one: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=130022592126
I just received from an eBay vendor (it's a completed listing posted purely to illustrate a specific point, so please don't anyone comment further on the eBay aspect of my words) is the best ever and has caused two effects:

1) Made me reconsider whether my Hacker Sovereign and VHF Herald are actually superior! (OK, subjective and dependant upon the source material I know)

2) Given me cause to come back and post on here after my recent depressing experience, 'cos this set not only rattles the windows, it's rattled my brain. Which was necessary.
Old 12th Sep 2006, 10:17 pm   #17
howard
Nonode

Hello,

I have two excellent Roberts R707s and they are amongst my favorite radios to listen to. I have in the last 30 minutes acquired a third one, an early one with the plain push buttons and with the old style badge which completes my collection of R707s. I get the 996 batteries (Pifcos) for £1.13 each from a local electrical wholesaler (or just 99p each for 5). And yes, these are amongst the best built and sounding transistor radios built by Roberts and well worth buying.

Howard
Old 13th Sep 2006, 11:21 am   #18
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Having read the above posts, I feel I really ought to get my R707 working. The trouble is that it would be my first attempt at resurrecting a transistor set, so I keep putting it off!
Old 13th Sep 2006, 11:36 am   #19
GJR 11L
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Moll View Post
Having read the above posts, I feel I really ought to get my R707 working. The trouble is that it would be my first attempt at resurrecting a transistor set, so I keep putting it off!

I was so ashamed at myself for simply buying a good one when there are two part-working examples that have been awaiting some attention for ages that I have been doing a little module-swapping with the other pair and now have a second that works well but still doesn't quite have the audio quality of the latest acquisition, I'm examining resistor values on the a/f side of things so am close to having two good ones and a pair of modules to open up and examine in depth.

The point is that, although they have these wretched modules, the only fiddly bit was swapping them from set to set. Not as convenient as a valve set with room to work granted, but oh, that bass.....
Old 13th Sep 2006, 12:08 pm   #20
Brian R Pateman
Nonode

The wretched modules aren't too bad to work with. I do have a few spare units (almost certainly they won't be the ones that anybody wants!).

Once I get the new workshop built I might be in a position to offer a repair service.

Not before next year though.

Regards,