UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Feb 2017, 12:04 am   #21
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: CR2032 Lithium Coin Cell Cautionary Tale

If I understand correctly, application of too much heat (either externally, or due to a short) can trigger an exothermic reaction, so even when the heat source is removed, the cell remains a 'ticking bomb'.
Old 25th Feb 2017, 12:16 am   #22
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

Default Re: CR2032 Lithium Coin Cell Cautionary Tale

Must say I never mess with brands and sources of lithium cells. Just bought two Renata CR2032 from Farnell for £1:58 each including VAT. 225mAh.

But relatively recently I have been involved with a product that used two 20Ah 8-cell packs. Enclosed them in a custom diecast hermetically sealed enclosure with expansion room (during charging they swell). Each cell in each pack had a thermal monitor, and voltage feedback to the charging unit.

That teaches respect for any lithium technology - the energy storage density is impressive - and that is why I pay rather more for a first rate brand from a supplier with a reputation. Even for CR2032 coin cells.
Closed Thread