UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Jul 2014, 7:21 pm   #21
jonnybear
Octode

Default Re: Achieving a brass-like Finish?

If you are referring to the Liberon Gilt Cream, this is one I did earlier.
John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02861.JPG
Views:	152
Size:	136.5 KB
ID:	95567  
Old 28th Jul 2014, 1:50 pm   #22
brenellic2000
Octode

Gilt creams or 'gesso' usually require several layers and a final laquer coat to protect them whereas gold leaf (as opposed to mock/imitation 'gold' leaf) needs no further protection and nevers dulls.

'Orses for 'courses guvn'r!
Old 28th Jul 2014, 6:53 pm   #23
jonnybear
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnybear View Post
If you are referring to the Liberon Gilt Cream, this is one I did earlier.
This mirror surround was coated over 18 months ago and has not been lacquered, and it is in a bathroom.
John
Old 2nd Aug 2014, 1:14 am   #24
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

I've tried Humbrol's brass paint and it looks like the rough (cast) brass plumbing fittings currently being sold, but not the sort of sort of lustrous 'real' brass you'd expect with vintage radio. I wonder how they put down the wonderful gold-coloured finish on the cases of alkaline batteries?

B
Old 2nd Aug 2014, 9:10 am   #25
Framer Dave
Rest in Peace

Items like those batteries rely on their surfaces having a reflective silver coloured finish. This is then printed with a transparent yellow ink, producing a bright gold, the colour of which can easily be adjusted in the printing process.

Something similar might be achieved at home by tinting clear varnish and applying it over silver paint, but I've never tried.

Regards,
Old 3rd Aug 2014, 9:02 pm   #26
valveaudio
Hexode

Try Hannants www.hannants.co.uk in Lowestoft they sell a vast range of paints for models.
Or Hobbies www.alwayshobbies.com in Beccles.
I bet you can't guess i live in Norfolk!

Trevor
Old 3rd Aug 2014, 10:58 pm   #27
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

I'm doubtful that paint is the way to go for brass, and I'm now beginning to wonder whether brass is the right finish for what I want to achieve My component is currently covered in acid-etch primer which has a flat, pale olive-green colour, and looks curiously right; functional rather than decorative, which I like. But thanks for those websites, which are well-worth having on file.

B
Old 4th Aug 2014, 11:33 am   #28
brenellic2000
Octode

What exactly are you trying to 'brass' and need it be mirror-glossy? If it is not going to be handled, kept cool and not be subject to weathering - might spray-on adhesive and brass effect sweet wrapper foil (as earlier mentioned, these are coloured inks on foil) suffice?

If you want a weathered metallic brass effect foil, the (still expensive) Dutch gilt (being copper based) does eventually tarnish if not lacquered.

TTFN
Old 4th Aug 2014, 1:48 pm   #29
valveaudio
Hexode

Decoart (USA) make a very good range of metallic paint.

It is available at Hobbycraft.co.uk who have stores all over the UK. They also sell small packs of gold leaf.
Trevor
Old 4th Aug 2014, 5:03 pm   #30

Polish to a shine and an orange varnish, just like the cells mentioned earlier?

Old 4th Aug 2014, 6:49 pm   #31
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

The part is die-casting with a very irregular shape and with very fine raised lettering. Many thanks for the suggestions, I'll see how it progresses, though as mentioned above, I may change my mind about the brass finish idea. But just for the sake of anyone who checks this thread out for their own use, this company http://www.indestructible.co.uk/ has a "brass dye" product which looks interesting, but as is often the case, a little expensive for a one off application.

B
Closed Thread