UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 30th Jul 2017, 7:36 pm   #441
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Default Re: Bygone radio traders

Hi Craig, they were latterly in High Bridge, just off the Big Market
Ed
Old 31st Jul 2017, 9:14 am   #442
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

Thanks Ed
Old 31st Jul 2017, 10:38 am   #443
Station X

Two posts moved to a new thread here:-

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=138606

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 3rd Aug 2017, 4:33 pm   #444
Brigham
Octode

Here's a tall order:
In the (excellent) film drama 'Hell Drivers' (1957), the hero, played by Stanley Baker, visits a shop in Brentford High Street. As he crosses the road, a next-door radio shop can be made out, with a pile of BBC-only TV sets outside, presumably 'to clear'.
Does anyone recognise the shop?
Old 15th Aug 2017, 8:27 am   #445
Reelman
Octode

Hope it has not been mentioned before but can anyone remember the name of the electronics shop at the end of Hoe St, Walthamstow? It was just a few yards from the "Bell" pub which has survived unlike the shop.
Bought all the components for my earliest projects there around 1967.
Peter
Old 14th Nov 2017, 1:01 pm   #446
richpark
Retired Dormant Member

Default Bill's Vintage Radio

Does anyone remember Bill's Vintage Radio in Wimbledon? He operated from home and my last contact was nearly 20 years ago. Does anyone know
Bill's surname and whether he is still around?
Old 14th Nov 2017, 2:24 pm   #447
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: Bill's Vintage Radio

Hello, I lived in Wimbledon from 1986 to about 1996 and had not heard of him.

Forum member John Wakeley ("Heater Cathode Short") had a shop in Collier's Wood or thereabouts, so may know the answer: http://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/s...2&postcount=38

Can you recall where in Wimbledon he was?

Nick.
Old 14th Nov 2017, 6:03 pm   #448
richpark
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks. I believe he lived in Gladstone Road.
Old 15th Dec 2017, 8:17 pm   #449
defender
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
Does anyone else remember Miss Taylor in King Street, Huddersfield, and before that with her father in Macaulay Street?
I remember that place with the Baird tv on top of the cabinet inside, I was thinking about that when i was looking at all the old tv restoration posts.
I remember Jim Fish on Cross Church Street too, I bought a b/w tv and carried it home from my mates house (my first tv) when I got it home there was no sound.
Looked inside and there was a board behind the speaker with a valve on it.
Went down to Jim Fish with the old valve, got a new one and got the sound back
(yea I know it was an old post)

Last edited by defender; 15th Dec 2017 at 8:22 pm.
Old 16th Dec 2017, 4:19 pm   #450
stevehertz
Dekatron

Around 1978 there was guy operating under the name of 'The British Vintage Radio Components' in the London area. I bought a Cossor Pre-war TV from him (long gone to a US collector). Does anyone recognise the trading name or who this might have been? In all fairness I doubt if the gentleman is still alive some 40 years later as I'm guessing he was aged late 60s then.
Old 1st Jan 2018, 9:48 pm   #451
Sparks
Heptode

Bought lots of headsets, plugs, switches etc from M&B in Leeds over the years. I visited Clafton Electronics in Wakefield a few times years ago but I don't remember buying anything. We also had Rediffusion in Leeds (Commercial Street), RSC and Regam, which dealt mainly in domestic appliance spares. And Teleservicenter - odd but useful. The owner was most put out when I went in there with a Maplin carrier!

At Durrant's in Shrewsbury I bought piles of BT 1000 lever key switches and the 713 pendant phones from an obsolete WB1400 comms panel. In Wakefield there was also Crossley Spare Parts - a bit like Regam but they also sold telephones, GEC as I recall.
Old 1st Jan 2018, 11:31 pm   #452
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Anyone remember Wally Everingham ? he had an electrical sales & repair shop in Hedon nr Hull. He was quite a character. Still running his shop single handed into old age. The shop closed 30 or more years ago.

John.
Old 2nd Jan 2018, 8:53 pm   #453
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi John, yes I met Wally many years ago after he had retired and was still living at Hedon. He had a superb library of various magazines and periodicals going back to the 20's.

Ed
Old 4th Jan 2018, 7:59 pm   #454
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Hi Ed, On occasions I would pop into his shop for a 3v bulb or a valve, I learnt to allow a couple of hours or so for the visit.

John.
Old 4th Jan 2018, 9:51 pm   #455
Horris
Hexode

Reelman, I think the shop you refer to was Unique Radio in Hoe Street. Do you also remember Jobstocks in St Mary's Road in Walthamstow?
Old 9th Mar 2018, 9:09 pm   #456
Grubhead
Heptode

As I know many people on here used Bardwells of Sheffield. I have just found out that one of the staff who worked there called Peter Blake was accused of stealing stock. Which was completely untrue.
However it so troubled Peter, that he took his own life.

I don't know when Peter died, as I have got this information from the Sheffield History website. Link below. Peter can be seen on the Star Photo I have uploaded.

sheffield history.co.uk
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bardwells 1988.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	158953  
Old 9th Mar 2018, 10:30 pm   #457
Jon_G4MDC
Nonode

I can add - who was Hatfield Sid? Shop name is unknown.

His shop was on the East side of the A1 in Hatfield, Herts, as it passed opposite the Hawker Siddeley site to the West side. The Aero Cafe was a few doors before - good fry-ups to be had in there. Water's garage was close by.

Sid sold radio bits on his side of the shop while his wife sold knitting stuff on her side. That was a pretty sneaky move actually since it made a Saturday morning visit to "Sid's" a joint affair if you were married or just courting.

I believe he had another outpost running in the town market, from a blue caravan with a very high serving shelf.

Once I had grown tall enough to see I bought some ferrite rods with MW/LW coils fitted and some PolyVaricons, out of my pocket money. It was OK for OA81s and piezo earpieces too.

I seem to recall only the shop had the OC45s, OC71s and such - but I might have defective memory. Maybe that was in 1972 or 3?

It is all redeveloped now as "The Galleria". The A1 runs under it in the Hatfield Tunnel. I think the site of his shop is now part of the car park.
They did that in 198x I suppose?
Old 10th Mar 2018, 12:28 am   #458
Reelman
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horris View Post
Reelman, I think the shop you refer to was Unique Radio in Hoe Street. Do you also remember Jobstocks in St Mary's Road in Walthamstow?
Many thanks for this Horris, I’m sure you are right, “Unique” rings a bell. I still have bits I bought from Jobstocks in the 60s, fabulous shop!

Peter
Old 10th Mar 2018, 11:45 am   #459
stevehertz
Dekatron

Not a specific store, but I used to love going in Tandy stores back in the days when they concentrated on hifi (Realistic brand) and components. Later they went very much into radio controlled cars and computers. It just wasn't the same any more, although I can see how it is difficult for high street stores to make money out of tuppeny h'appeny resistors, as we witness now with Maplin to some extent.
Old 10th Mar 2018, 9:44 pm   #460
Paul Hart
Retired Dormant Member

Yes, I remember Radiomatics, and the charismatic and very helpful chap who operated it. I lived in Norwich from 1959 to 1975, and had many a happy visit to Radiomatics.
Closed Thread