UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Sep 2022, 11:20 am   #1
Jockmacrea
Diode

Default Vintage Clock Bobbin rewind

Where can I get my bobbins rewound for my old clock. Mains powered synchronous 240vac. What approx cost ?
Can anyone Identify the clock please. It is devoid of all markings and numbers, has a cat aluminum enclosure and a 7" face all encased in solid brass . Thanks for looking.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	oldclock1.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	264787   Click image for larger version

Name:	oldclock2.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	23.9 KB
ID:	264788   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oldclock3.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	22.1 KB
ID:	264789  
Old 16th Sep 2022, 12:24 pm   #2
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: Vintage Clock Bobbin rewind

Hello and welcome.

What an unusual clock. I would have guessed that it was a slave clock at first glance. I don't recognise the movement. It certainly looks very early.

Any chance of some better pics (perhaps taken outside and uploaded in higher resolution)?

Send a Private Message to forum members Ed Dinning and Murphymad, as they're the experts in coil re-winding.

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...do=newpm&u=215

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...do=newpm&u=511

Nick.
Old 16th Sep 2022, 12:37 pm   #3
Jockmacrea
Diode

Thank you, Nick, I'll try getting some higher res pics and upload them.

George
Old 16th Sep 2022, 5:20 pm   #4
Tantanometer
Triode

Hello George,

Have a read of this excellent article https://sound-au.com/clocks/ocm.html.

Basically, what he suggests is rewinding the bobbin for a lower voltage using much thicker wire. I used this method to repair a 1930s Hammond electric clock movement and it's still going 8 years later. I made a new bobbin from cardboard, used epoxy resin to strengthen it and then filled it with 0.315mm (30SWG) enamelled copper wire which is substantial enough to wind by hand. As predicted in the article the motor ran at about 15V AC and is now fed from an old "wall wart" transformer making it considerably safer than the original design.

Have a go there's nothing to lose.

Len
Old 20th Sep 2022, 8:36 pm   #5
Robsradio
Heptode

That is almost certainly a slave clock, please don’t connect it to the mains. That is maybe why it needs a rewind as somebody may have put the mains on it in the past by mistake. It’s an unusual movement that I’ve not seen before.
You will need a master clock to drive it or a slave impulse device. It would be good if you could fit the minute hand and toggle the mechanism and see what time interval it advances by it will be either 1/2 min or 1 min, it looks like 1 min from the photo, with a rocking ‘lever’ advancing 1 min in each direction of the ‘lever’.
Enjoy
Old 21st Nov 2022, 5:18 pm   #6
Jockmacrea
Diode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robsradio View Post
That is almost certainly a slave clock, please don’t connect it to the mains. That is maybe why it needs a rewind as somebody may have put the mains on it in the past by mistake. It’s an unusual movement that I’ve not seen before.
You will need a master clock to drive it or a slave impulse device. It would be good if you could fit the minute hand and toggle the mechanism and see what time interval it advances by it will be either 1/2 min or 1 min, it looks like 1 min from the photo, with a rocking ‘lever’ advancing 1 min in each direction of the ‘lever’.
Enjoy
Thanks very much for the feedback, it is a 1 minute pulse that's needed.
Old 21st Nov 2022, 5:22 pm   #7
Jockmacrea
Diode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickthedentist View Post
Hello and welcome.

What an unusual clock. I would have guessed that it was a slave clock at first glance. I don't recognise the movement. It certainly looks very early.

Any chance of some better pics (perhaps taken outside and uploaded in higher resolution)?

Send a Private Message to forum members Ed Dinning and Murphymad, as they're the experts in coil re-winding.

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...do=newpm&u=215

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...do=newpm&u=511

Nick.
Thanks Nick, were the pictures any better? I know nothing about clocks at all, Ed was great he helped me a lot. As a matter of interest , are these worth anything?
Old 21st Nov 2022, 6:15 pm   #8
Jockmacrea
Diode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robsradio View Post
Enjoy
Thanks Rob, wasn't me that fried it, no matter now works fine.
Old 21st Nov 2022, 10:31 pm   #9
Robsradio
Heptode

Good stuff, glad you got it running, it looked like 1 minute impulses were required, but not easy to determine via photos without being able to ‘play’.
Closed Thread