UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Jul 2022, 2:06 pm   #1
AnalogueMan
Hexode

Default Side Panels on GEC 5445

I've just finished restoring a GEC 5445 which has gone very well, photos attached. However I'm uncertain on how to finish the side panels. As the pictures show, one is in reasonable condition but the other is not. From what I can see I suspect the "wood" effect on the side panels might be some sort of paint-on coating, it doesn't seem like a veneer and scrubbing with Brasso in a small area seems to want to take it off and what I assume is the underlying bakelite/plastic starts to show through. Am I correct about what kind of surface this 'wood' is? If it is a paint-on effect, is it possible to obtain it and re-apply? What would be the best approach to finishing this project given the current condition? Any and all advice is most welcome, and thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GEC-1.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	111.3 KB
ID:	260648   Click image for larger version

Name:	GEC-2.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	260649   Click image for larger version

Name:	GEC-3.jpg
Views:	50