UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Mar 2024, 1:31 pm   #1
dazzlevision
Dekatron

Default Ferranti A1016 radio - (ECC85) VHF unit advice wanted

I'm currently restoring a Ferranti A1016 L/M/VHF valve radio that was kindly offered FOC by a member of this forum. It dates from 1958-9 and is similar to the Ekco A355. The VHF unit appears identical to the one used in the Ekco A320, which was made a year or two earlier.

The (ECC85 valve) VHF unit is tuned by two ganged variable inductances, whose position adjustable ferrite cores are mounted on an SRBP panel, which is in turn fixed to a metal plate. The whole assembly can move along two fixed metal rods.

There is a yellow residue on the upper rod, which I assume was a lubricant at some point, but which has now dried out and is causing the movement of the assembly to be a bit "sticky".

After cleaning off the yellow residue, I was wondering what sort of modern and available lubricant I should apply.

I have in stock: silicone grease, a petroleum based light grease and some white Molykote grease.

I am hesitant over what to use as the SRBP material will likely be somewhat absorbent.

Any recommendations?

Removing the VHF unit from the combined AM tuning gang and VHF unit assembly was not a task to be undertaken lightly, so I want to be sure that whatever I use will be a durable solution.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3990.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	107.9 KB
ID:	295426   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4001.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	295427   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4016.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	295428  
Old 29th Mar 2024, 1:59 pm   #2
dazzlevision
Dekatron

Default Re: Ferranti A1016 radio - (ECC85) VHF unit advice wanted

In the absence of any responses to this thread, I compared the relative properties of the lubricants I have to hand and applied some Molykote DX (after cleaning off the original compound).

Whilst the VHF unit was out, I replaced the Hunts Moldseal 10nF 400V metallised paper dielectric capacitor that forms part of the heater supply filter to the ECC85.

The two Erie carbon composition resistors in the unit were a little outside (high) of their 10% tolerance markings, but not enough to cause any issues (they would be almost impossible to replace without some serious dismantling!).

Mods, please close this thread.
Closed Thread