UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 15th Jan 2020, 8:36 pm   #1
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Question What exactly is meant by a 'Transcription' Turntable?

I ask the question because I have a Dynatron Record Player on the bench, which is fitted with a Goldring Lenco Turntable, described in the service notes as a 'Transcription' type, yet it is simply a standard rim drive deck no different in principle to a BSR or Garrard, other than the fact that it is a single player not an auto-changer. To me the word 'Transcription' means something like 'Transferring writing', which, in principle is what all record players do - i.e. - transfer (sound)writing from the record groove to the human ear via a cartridge, amplifier, and speaker(s).
Old 15th Jan 2020, 8:46 pm   #2
John10b
Nonode

Default Re: What exactly is meant by a 'Transcription' Turntable?

Good question, I always took it to mean a “posh” or hi-fi record deck.
John
Old 15th Jan 2020, 8:53 pm   #3
paulsherwin

It literally means a professional deck suitable for transcribing the contents of records with the highest fidelity possible, but you're right, it's come to refer to any good hifi deck. Many professional terms have been similarly devalued, such as 'studio monitor' (referring to speakers).
Old 15th Jan 2020, 8:54 pm   #4
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

The term originates from the days when radip programmes were recorded and distributed on disc, frequently 16" discs turning at 33.3 rpm. These recordings were referred to as "transcriptions", hence the BBC Transcription Service, which exported radio prpgrammes around the world. The major requirements were excellent long- and short-term speed stability, low noise (rumble and drone) and reliability. Manufacturers' best products were therefore advertised as transcription devices, with the implication that they possessed these virtues. Some did, some didn't. Once programme distribution moved to microgroove, the necessity of playing 16" discs diminished, so this wasn't generally regarded as a defining characteristic.
Old 15th Jan 2020, 8:55 pm   #5
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

I'd always assumed that it meant 'better' in the sense you would use it to "Transcribe" at the highest quality-either direct to the ears or [more likely] transferring to another audio source, probably in a professional rather domestic environment. The difference would be clear in the fifties and sixties when more cumbersome or complex Auto Changers were the most common type of record deck. Of course saying 'Transcription' might make it seem like a quality product

Dave
Old 15th Jan 2020, 9:00 pm   #6
Hartley118
Nonode

Transcription disc recordings, normally 16-inch diameter had been used for broadcast programme distribution back to WW2, perhaps earlier. However, in the consumer market, as far as I remember, the term ‘transcription’ arose in the early 1950s to refer to turntables of higher performance than the older gear driven units. With the aim of lower wow & flutter and rumble, they featured a heavy turntable with a high quality long centre bearing.

The Garrard 301 is of course famous and desirable even today. Less well known but of similar high performance were the Collaro 4TR200 and its companion 4T200 which came complete with a decent quality pickup and was still capable of handling a 16- inch disc.

It’s arguable that the first consumer market transcription turntable was made by BSR around 1950 for the first Deccalian 2-speed (78 & 33) record player. With its heavy turntable and long centre bearing, it was designed to minimise wow & flutter from the newly challenging slow LP speed.

Martin
Old 15th Jan 2020, 9:25 pm   #7
alanworland
Heptode

I thought a 'transcription' player had to conform to certain specifications of wow & flutter, rumble, speed stability and general noise.

Alan
Old 15th Jan 2020, 9:37 pm   #8
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

I've always assumed it meant 'used for making copies' - i.e. duplication. For which I'd expect it to provide a frequency-sync signal to the downstream recording-devices and - preferably - some kind of 'high speed' dubbing facility [remembering that provided all the motors run at the same speed that speed doesn't really matter] in the same way as in the 70s and 80s we had dual-drive cassette-players for copying tapes.
Old 16th Jan 2020, 1:15 am   #9
Synchrodyne
Nonode

“Transcription” means something that has been transcribed or the process involved therein. I think it was originally used for spoken words that were recorded in written firm. It also was/is used for music, where pieces originally written for one or one set of instruments were rewritten (transcribed) for another group. I imagine that amongst the best-known would be the Liszt piano transcriptions of the Beethoven symphonies, and also Beethoven’s own piano concerto transcription of his violin concerto.

It would appear that the term was purloined, initially as “electrical transcription”, when the broadcasting industry adopted electrical disc recording as a means of time-shifting programmes and moving then across geographies. An early history was provided in this article from “Radio News” 1932 January.

Electrical Transcription Radio News 193201.pdf

In that context, a transcription turntable would have been one that was suitable for, and had the performance and operational facilities required for broadcasting transcription. Probably both individual broadcasting organization and trade/industry associations developed their own specifications for these devices, and these specifications evolved over time. No doubt they differed from one organization to the next, and that it would be difficult to derive a single specification that could be used as universal definition.

Cheers,
Old 16th Jan 2020, 10:17 am   #10
rontech
Heptode

My first decent turntable was a Collaro "transcription" turntable the type without pickup arm. The platter was very heavy. I used it with a Garrard TP10 ( ? ) arm and Tannoy variluctance stereo cartridge for many years.
Old 16th Jan 2020, 12:30 pm   #11
John10b
Nonode

If I may ask the following question, did the first Transcription Turntables use Rim, Belt or Direct Drive ? Which is considered the “best” method?
John
Old 16th Jan 2020, 12:34 pm   #12
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

Rim, or idler as it was also known. The Garrard 301 has already been mentioned, but the 401 was also in the transcription category.

The 301 and 401 were supplied without arm, and usually without a plinth - a dimensioned cutting template was included with the deck.

The 401 was used by the BBC, and was usually just left running all day during broadcasts.

Craig
Old 16th Jan 2020, 1:58 pm   #13
Beobloke
Heptode

The Garrard 201 was a transcription motor unit in extensive use by the BBC before either the 301 or 401. As it was a mechanically governed with the platter mounted directly on the motor spindle, it was effectively direct drive.
Old 16th Jan 2020, 3:39 pm   #14
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

Even so, the BBC found it necessary to insert a compliant coupling between the 201 and the turntable in the most common application, the TD/7.
Old 16th Jan 2020, 4:06 pm   #15
gramofiend
Pentode

Don't forget the brand new, at the time, 1932 Garrard 201 supplied in large numbers to the newly built Broadcasting House London. I wonder where they all ended up?

I have both a domestic 201 and a BTH arm that tracks at what I think must be at least one ton! I also have, on the to do pile a BBC OB version with flexible coupling and an EMI arm from I think, the late 1940's or early 50's.

I want to get these going but I understand that the 201 was very heavy on lubricating oil.

Incidentally I understand, from Garrard liturature that the 201 was made under licence from Thorens who had the patent!

Mike
Old 16th Jan 2020, 4:18 pm   #16
Radio Wrangler

I always thought "Transcription" meant an extra hundred quid.

David
Old 16th Jan 2020, 5:23 pm   #17
AC/HL
Dekatron

Feast your eyes: https://www.google.com/search?q=tran...w=1280&bih=870
Old 16th Jan 2020, 5:38 pm   #18
stevehertz
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post
It literally means a professional deck suitable for transcribing the contents of records with the highest fidelity possible, but you're right, it's come to refer to any good hifi deck. Many professional terms have been similarly devalued, such as 'studio monitor' (referring to speakers).
Ironically a lot of so called studio monitors are not as accurate as many hifi speakers. For example, 70s JBL studio monitors were loud, crisp, punchy and very 'impressive'. But in proper tests performed by experienced ears they rarely came up to the standard of very good hifi speakers in terms of 'fidelity' or accuracy. And after all, the whole point of a studio monitor is to faithfully reproduce the music or tracks being recorded so that when finally mixed and played back on 'not so good' speakers the sound will at least be somewhere in the middle of an acceptable tonal balance. JBLs tended to be efficient, lacking in bass extension and had a sparkling top end. That would result in a mix that gave the exact opposite, so a final recording would have a tendency to be bass heavy and lacking in high end sparkle.
Old 16th Jan 2020, 6:17 pm   #19
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC/HL View Post
I lusted after the Transcriptors Hydraulic Reference turntable so badly when I was a lad in the early 70's it almost hurt.

But then there is the Thorens Reference. I though that Thorens only made belt drive turntables (I have two TD150's like that). But at one stage they clearly let their design team off the leash and they came up with this 90kg wonder machine https://www.lencoheaven.net/forum/in...?topic=6280.15

When a super rare Thorens Reference occasionally comes up for sale, the price is stratrospheric.

Craig
Old 16th Jan 2020, 6:25 pm   #20
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Great selection there Bill, AC/HL!

Hartley [p6*] referred to the BSR turnable [made for the Deccalian circa 1950] as arguably the first domestic Transcription deck.

At post 15* Mike [Gramofiend] says that the Garrard 201 [1932] was supplied to the BBC and wonders where they all ended up?

In his 2016 thread "1935 Murphy A28 "Radiogram Restoration" Clive [Murphy Mad] shows us the beautiful outcome. Can someone link it? The modernistic deck immediately caught my eye.[Well it is the thirties!] Greenstar said he hadn't even thought it was original at first. I asked Clive and he didn't know but he had others. I'm wondering if there's a connection here

At least one of the illustrations for the 201 has a silvery similarity to the deck in the A28. Others look to be markedly different.

Dave W
Closed Thread