UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Feb 2020, 6:20 pm   #1
Trevor Leese
Pentode

Default Panasonic RQ2102 mono cassette player

Hi everyone, i need help with an issue, ive just aquired for free a brand new boxed Panasonic RQ2102 mono cassette and recorder. It was built some years ago but i suspect it has not worked since the day it was originally sold, upon testing the unit there appears to be no sound at all, the higher the volume is turned up the hum from the motor starts to appear, how can i restore the sound please, all suggestions gratefully received.
Thanks Trev.
Old 29th Feb 2020, 12:22 pm   #2
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Default Re: Panasonic RQ2102 mono cassette player

Trev,

There is no easy or magic answer to this.

First start with the basics (which you may well have done already).

1. Ensure the cassette (s) you are trying, do actually have music on, prove on another machine.

2. Ensure (may be difficult to see without dismantling the unit) that the tape is making good contact with the combined Play/Record head, also ensure head is really clean.

3. Try low impedance headphones in the J1 Monitor socket to see if any sound.

4. Try spray of switch cleaner to the Playback/Record switch, I do not know its physical location, but it will be the only electrical switch that is actuated by the Play & Record buttons.

All the active electronics are contained in one IC, so there is not a lot to go wrong, other than a bunch of passive components. If you can see the IC then ensure that the battery volts or the DC supply derived from the mains (around 6 volts) is being switched through OK by the motor switch to pin 14 of the IC, pin 11 is the 0V/battery -ve.

David
Old 29th Feb 2020, 1:26 pm   #3
Rubberfingers
Pentode

Also check that the wires are still attached to the record/replay head. As this moves every time the play key is pressed, it used to be quite common for one or more to break off. Likely to be quite a bit of dismantling to get to this though.
Old 29th Feb 2020, 4:06 pm   #4
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Another 'first check' :

Check that the tape is actually moving. Are the cassette spools turning? If not you'll get no sound (of course). Check for a broken drive belt or other mechanical problems.
Old 1st Mar 2020, 12:42 pm   #5
camtechman
Nonode

Trevor,

You can get a full free PDF service manual from www.hifiengine.com. (but you'll have to register.)

Tony
Old 1st Mar 2020, 12:44 pm   #6
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

David's advice re. cleaning the record/play switching is very valid on machines that have been dormant for a long time.
Old 11th Mar 2020, 8:04 pm   #7
Trevor Leese
Pentode

Thanks everyone for your help and advice on this one, it turns out tobe a soldered joint on the rec/playback head. Happy now. Thanks. Trevor
Old 11th Mar 2020, 9:53 pm   #8
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Well done, thank you for the feedback.
Closed Thread