UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Jan 2020, 1:38 am   #1
ALABAMA ANDY
Diode

Default Civic GR-4900 Radiogram

Hi everyone.
The names Andy & ive just bought my first Radiogram / Stereogram.
I was born in the early 70's & grew up on a mish mash of music tech.
From my earliest memory's of a reel to reel recorder, to a Sharp music centre, to my first Panasonic radio cassette in primary school.
Once a teenager my first Ghetto Blaster, Walkman, then by time I was 15 or 16 I was lucky enough to get a Kenwood separates stacking hifi system (I still use the graphic eq to this day).
These days I've just got used to streaming music the lazy way through Spotify into my current TEAC amp or in the car via a jack plug or Bluetooth.
Anyway....... I visited HMV in Bluewater a couple of weeks ago & was astounded at how much vinyl has come back in & how you can literally pick pretty much any album on vinyl that last year you would on CD.
Kids & people my age seem to be getting into vinyl for the first time or for the second time round in the form of those terrible little modern suitcase record players.
Crossly at first but now there seems to be loads out there, all rather nasty from what I've seen & heard.
So this got me thinking of a time when playing a record in the correct track order was an event, whilst sitting down next to the equipment that was playing it.
The Radiogram / Stereogram is the earliest form of an attractive, well built, rich sounding form of playing music that I can remember.
Although I never grew up with one (I think my parents upgraded their one to a Music Centre when I was about 3 or 4) I did get to use one when I was in the Cub Scouts.
We had one in our Scout HQ on a stage & it sounded like a big booming beast.
I'm a sucker for 60's & 70's furniture & have a fair amount in my house.
So I did a quick Ebay search & wow......I couldn't believe how many are actually out there. I did think there might be the odd one or two on there & probably far to expensive to bother with, but no.
So fast forward to a couple of days ago & im the proud owner of my first Radiogram.
A 1967 Civic GR 4900 with a Garrard turntable.
So I thought id better join the relevant Forum.
I'll get some pics up once I work out how to.
See ya.
Old 6th Jan 2020, 6:24 pm   #2
Electronpusher0
Nonode

Default Re: Hi from London

Hello Andy, and welcome to the forum.
Congratulations on your purchase, however can I suggest you resist the temptation to switch it on yet, unless the previous owner has had it serviced.
If it has not been used recently it is probable that the deck will need a clean and regrease and the electronics may need attention also the stylus should be checked before using it on your new vinyl.
Have a look at this forum about powering up vintage equipment for the first time.
You have not said what your technical knowledge is but most forum members would power up equipment like this using a lamp limiter in the first instance (search the forum).

Do not be afraid to ask questions (even if they may seem silly), we are a friendly lot and do not bite.

Regards
Peter
Old 6th Jan 2020, 9:32 pm   #3
AC/HL
Dekatron

The only silly question is the one not asked. None of us were born with the knowledge we now have!
Old 17th Jan 2020, 2:47 am   #4
ALABAMA ANDY
Diode

Hi & thanks for the reply.
Well I did fire it up as the previous original owner did the day before I bought it.
So the tuner worked.
Now it doesn't.
The amplifier works fine.
The turntable motor was seized but now works ok but needs a new stylus.
I'm currently streaming music through it via Bluetooth by using a Logitech Bluetooth adapter connection to the tape socket by using a 5din to RCA adapter.
Seems to work fine.
I intend to replace the stylus & find out why the radio stopped working.
Well it does work but won't pick up any stations on VHF.
I did pick up a little but stopped a couple of days ago.
Old 17th Jan 2020, 2:41 pm   #5
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

I suspect your CIVIC will have been made in Hungary. However, the Garrard deck (maybe a model 1000?) is British made and it will be possible to buy a new stylus for the type of cartridge that's liable to be fitted.
Old 17th Jan 2020, 3:08 pm   #6
paulsherwin

Default Re: Civic GR-4900 Radiogram

What aerial are you using for VHF/FM?
Old 17th Jan 2020, 3:13 pm   #7
AC/HL
Dekatron

Default Re: Civic GR-4900 Radiogram

To complete post 5, what cartridge is fitted. If you don't know, a picture will help.
Do the pictures in this thread look like your radiogram: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=33103
Closed Thread