UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Offered and Wanted Messages > Sets, Parts and Service Information Wanted (private buyers only, no swaps)

Notices

Sets, Parts and Service Information Wanted (private buyers only, no swaps) If you need help obtaining components, sets or equipment, post a message here. Private buyers only - no traders. No swaps.

Closed Thread

Old 21st May 2013, 9:33 am   #41
'LIVEWIRE?'
Dekatron

Default Re: Early OMEX MC006 music centre wanted by private buyer.

I built the 'PW Wimborne' back in the day (No longer have it, though!) The only problem I had was getting the tuning to agree with the dial calibrations. The Wimborne's FM Radio was varicap tuned, using a potentiometer, and, with the pulley, etc., supplied I couldn't get the VHF stations to 'appear' at the correct frequencies. From memory, the AM calibration was correct.
Old 21st May 2013, 9:34 am   #42
Radio Wrangler
Dekatron

The first in a series doesn't usually have a long production run, and this wasn't a manufacturer that sold large numbers. So the number once out there was small to start with. They haven't left a legend behind them, so they weren't much appreciated at the time, consequently people didn't see them as anything to be kept. Your question comes down to whether any didn't wind up in landfill. I think your chance of finding one is very slim, but it's not impossible. Your search so far bears this out. Don't plan your life around it, keep word out, and if you do come across one it will be a treat, but don't set yourself up so that not finding one is a prolonged disaster.

My grandad gave me a few nice radios and I took them apart for the bits to build shortwave sets. On a less gentlemanly forum I'd get lynched!

So, while you're waiting for chance to smile on you, you need something to keep you entertained.

In 1973 I'cd built myself a pair of speakers with KEF drivers, designed and built my own amplifier and tuner from absolute scratch, and a year later as a 21st present I got an Acos Rega turntable (the really odd looking one) for my 21st.

Things you've made yourself always sound a zillion times better than anything in the shops (especially the things in the shops you can't afford )

David
Old 21st May 2013, 3:21 pm   #43
Bittyboy
Tetrode

Hi David,

Yes, I think that the first few Omex MC006's off the production line were short lived...Maybe it was costing them too much to make and they wern't making much profit? or the manufactuers of certain components or circuit boards went bust/discontinued making certain stuff so Omex were forced to find components elsewhere? which also resulted in a change of the internal components and also some external changes too when their screen printing machine broke and the new one could only print small letters and numbers on the front panels Ha Ha!

Ben, Here are a couple more pictures of the Practical Wireles magazine that Livewire is talking about (I got September 1978 off eBay a few weeks ago) but I'm still waiting for someone to sell October78.
Old 21st May 2013, 10:11 pm   #44
Bittyboy
Tetrode

Hey guys,

Well with some spare time and nothing else to do this evening I decided to take one of the pics of the Omex set which Stuart posted and Photoshop one of them (not the world's best photoshoper but you get the idea about the bigger writing and bigger logo) to show the difference between the earlist OMEX MC006 and the later ones which I always seem to be getting

There is definitely a huge difference and the one with the bigger bolder writing is definately more eye catching and better made.

Looking at most old audio equipment, this seems to be an 1960's/early 1970's style which I think changed as things became more modern (and more cheaply made too)

Last edited by Bittyboy; 21st May 2013 at 10:36 pm.
Old 3rd Jun 2013, 10:35 pm   #45
Bittyboy
Tetrode

Wink Re: Early OMEX MC006 music centre wanted by private buyer.

...Still looking for an OMEX MC006 with that nice early 1970's era big writing on the front, please keep an eye out for us THANKS!
Old 27th May 2014, 10:59 am   #46
ben
Dekatron

There's an omex 006 on ebay now, but it has the small letters. It's actually listed by the seller as 'apex'!
Old 27th May 2014, 11:51 am   #47
ianj
Heptode

I've just been looking at that as well!
Old 27th May 2014, 12:04 pm   #48
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

But the OP hasn't been here since April and isn't contactable by e-mail, sadly. Hope he stumbles across it anyway.

Nick.
Old 23rd Jun 2014, 8:34 pm   #49
Bittyboy
Tetrode

Hi Guys,

Sorry for my long absence, Hope you are all keeping well

Yes I did see that Omex MC006 on eBay a couple of weeks ago, but it was no good to me as it's the same as all the other 9 ones I have.

I also have seen a couple of Omex Mc006's for sale in Austria and one also for sale in Italy lol!

I am still looking for the very early model which can be identified by the bigger white writing "OMEX" bull's eye logo "MC006" on the from panel which is in one straight line same as the previous picture I posted a while ago.

I always do a google search every now and then to see if someone one there has answered my prayer

I guess whoever has the right OMEX out there don't know I want it

Last edited by Bittyboy; 23rd Jun 2014 at 8:41 pm.
Old 24th Jun 2014, 9:26 am   #50
Station X

One post moved to a new thread here:-

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=107160

Keep the soldering iron hot.
Old 24th Jun 2014, 10:28 pm   #51
Bittyboy
Tetrode

Guys, I just found a link to an Omex MC006 music centre that was/is for sale in Italy.

Again as usual it is the later one with the smaller writing.

I do get the feeling that one day soon some one somewhere is going to list the right one with that big writing on eBay out of the blue and I will buy it! and post all the detailed photos here on this thread for you guys to see

Last edited by AC/HL; 25th Jun 2014 at 1:43 am. Reason: eBay rules
Old 25th Jun 2014, 9:19 am   #52
Bittyboy
Tetrode

This item was not for sale on eBay but obviously I have done something wrong here by posting the link to the item - ok - fair enough.

I have added some pictures of the Omex MC006 that was for sale in Italy just to update this thread

Just call me the Omex spotter LOL!

If anyone spots any more OMEX'S - Please post your pics here on this cool thread
Old 26th Jun 2014, 9:47 am   #53
Bittyboy
Tetrode

After much Googling I have managed to track down the Same Omex you guys spotted back in May/June 2014, It was saved in my eBay watch list but I must have deleted it to make room for other items and then I couldn't find it again as I was searching under "Omex" not "Apex"!

LOL OMG! It sold on eBay 01st June for only 2.50 !!!!!!

Pictures of this Omex posted below
Old 26th Jun 2014, 8:44 pm   #54
Radio Wrangler
Dekatron

You may have almost cornered the market in them

David
Old 27th Jun 2014, 8:39 am   #55
Bittyboy
Tetrode

Maybe...But I think there are still more of them out there, most probably sitting in Attics/Lofts gathering dust and some may also be amongst house clearance stuff.

I have faith that there must still be a few early production Omex MC006 music centres out there in good nick which are yet to come up for sale on eBay / Gumtree - It's just a matter of waiting it out until someone somewhere puts the very thing up for sale somewhere!

There are old radios that date back to the 1930's/1940's and although most have been thrown out or broken up by less appreciative people over the years, but as you guys know there are still a large number of those old radios which have still survived and come up for sale all the time on eBay, so I think the chances that some serious hoarders! out there may still have an 1973 Omex MC006 with that bigger writing and larger bull's eye logo on the black front perspex panel sitting somewhere, even if it is faulty / not working.

There are some people who cannot be bothered going to the tip! or don't live near one, or think that the item is too good to throw out, so they think "I will just put this in the loft out of the way for now and buy another one" and 30/40 years later - it's still there!

One can stay hopeful! Eh?
Closed Thread