UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Sep 2016, 8:02 pm   #1
reeltoreelrob
Pentode

Default Philips N2205

Hi all
Some time ago I changed the belts on this machine and all was well. The only problem was no lead, I have now changed the connector block so I can use a figure of 8 lead, since changing the belts to now changing the connector has been a year or so. When i tried it the sound is so low and distorted I also noticed the battery meter is hard to the right off the scale. I have started to change the capacitors but no luck as yet. Has anyone got any ideas before I go any further. The cap changed are the 47uf the 680up and the 10uf on the main board. I have got got any 1.6uf as yet.
Any pointers would be great.
All the best Rob.
Old 27th Sep 2016, 10:05 pm   #2
camtechman
Nonode

Default Re: Philips N2205

After you changed the connector did it work OK or did the problem arise immediately after the change?
Old 27th Sep 2016, 10:51 pm   #3
reeltoreelrob
Pentode

Hi,
The last time I had it on was probably 12 months ago maybe even longer so when I dug it out to swap the connector I didn't have it running, I have checked over what I have done but can't see anything wrong. I didn't have to disturb the amplifier PCB, I only lifted the power side slightly to swap the connector I have to say though that was the first thing I thought,what have I done.
Old 28th Sep 2016, 12:18 am   #4
camtechman
Nonode

Quote:
Some time ago I changed the belts on this machine and all was well
After you changed the belts you say: "all was well" does that mean it didn't have distortion then ?
Old 28th Sep 2016, 7:21 am   #5
reeltoreelrob
Pentode

Yes after changing the belts it was working as it should with good volume and no distribution, I just didn't have the correct power lead. It has sat around for 12 months or so since then..
Old 28th Sep 2016, 11:07 am   #6
camtechman
Nonode

When you changed the "connector block ", was it with a switched Fig 8 type.?
Old 28th Sep 2016, 12:50 pm   #7
reeltoreelrob
Pentode

Hi
It wasn't the switched type as I was struggling to find one. So I have disconnected the two wires going from the battery pack and pcb as I will never want to use it on batteries.
Old 28th Sep 2016, 5:49 pm   #8
reeltoreelrob
Pentode

I have just tried a separate power adapter rather than using the internal transformer and it is the same.
Old 28th Sep 2016, 7:34 pm   #9
ben
Dekatron

First things first: clean the heads. Check also pinch roller condition. Use a known good prerecorded cassette from a major manufacturer.
Old 29th Sep 2016, 1:38 pm   #10
camtechman
Nonode

I'm going through my notes, I have four different models of this series: 2x Philips (the original 2205 (before end of tape sounder), Philips N2205 (sounder & serious updates) & 2x Pye Cambridge (both TR 9115 One original version the other with updates).

The later Philips has 3 wires coming from the battery switch, one wire (an update) goes to an added circuit for power detection and also supply to the meter sub assembly circuit board. This is why I've asked about how you wired the Fig socket as this may have an affect.

As soon as I've got round to understanding the 4x circuits & 4x Service Manuals I'll update this thread.

Also, the meter can fully deflect if the grounding screw is loose or missing on the meter sub assembly PCB (later model).
Old 29th Sep 2016, 8:49 pm   #11
reeltoreelrob
Pentode

Hi,
This model has got the sounder (for end of tape) that is working, and just the 2 wires from the switched connector. I must admit I wished I had tested it before swapping the connector.
Closed Thread