UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Sep 2016, 7:26 pm   #1
reeltoreelrob
Pentode

Default Philips N2205

Hi all,
I have got the tape recorder (bought it off ebay ages ago) all it needed was new belts and it now works fine. Just wondered does anyone have any ideas about this main lead connector, I have not had any luck in finding one.
Thanks in advance
Rob.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160906_165912.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	129718   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160906_165926.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	129719  
Old 6th Sep 2016, 8:19 pm   #2
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Default Re: Philips N2205

That was the standard mains lead used on Philips tape recorders in the 1970s. AFAIK it was custom to Philips. It's the same lead used on the N1500 video recorder, not that that helps much..

The cable connector was moulded (not re-wireable) and of course it only fits one way round as the 2 pins are at 90 degrees to each other.

I have one (but only one) and at least 3 machines that use it, so I am not offering it for sale. Unfortunately attempting to make your own mains leads is frowned upon here.
Old 6th Sep 2016, 8:59 pm   #3
reeltoreelrob
Pentode

Thanks for the reply I was wondering if I could remove the block and replace it with a figure of 8 block or one from a computer power supply and not conect the earth that's if these would fit in the unit.
Old 6th Sep 2016, 9:10 pm   #4
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Is this a battery/mains machine? If so, there's a switch contact operated by inserting the cable (it disconnects the internal batteries) that will not be present on the replacement connectors.

Apart from that it is just a normal 2 wire mains connection to the primary of the mains transformer.
Old 6th Sep 2016, 9:29 pm   #5
reeltoreelrob
Pentode

Ha, I hadn't thought of that you are right it does have a little switch on the connector, that said I very much doubt I will ever want to use it on batteries but it's nice to keep it how it should be.
Old 7th Sep 2016, 6:17 am   #6
camtechman
Nonode

If I were you, remove the present chassis 'socket' and keep it somewhere safe. Replace it with a Switched Figure 8 type and make a suitable mounting plate. That way it will be fully usable and, one day one of the original Philips lead may turn up and you'll be able to revert to that.

I have two of these machines, one the Philips N2205 and the other the Pye TR9115 version, both use the same mains connector.

I got my lead by buying a "For Parts" machine which had the lead with it. The whole kit and caboodle cost me £12.00. I have seen a lead on Ebay that cost £25 + P&P !!

Good luck.
Old 7th Sep 2016, 6:48 pm   #7
reeltoreelrob
Pentode

Hi, thanks for the replies, it looks like a switchable figure of 8 is the way forward.
All the best
Rob.
Old 13th Sep 2016, 9:02 am   #8
Chindit
Tetrode

The N2205 was my first tape recorder! Bought for me as a birthday or Christmas present in around 1973 by my parents. It came from the Philips staff shop at the Mullard Plant in Blackburn where my dad worked. I think it was around £32; which was a lot of money then! Great little machine; my mate down the road had one too and we used to spend our time copying cassettes for each other. He was a member of a music club - you could hire records or pre-recorded tapes for a couple of weeks and, of course, copy them! All done by post too!
I seem to remember, inserting the mains lead cut out the batteries - on mains the meter was permanently illuminated; on battery you had to depress a button to light it up. Had mine until probably around 1990 when unfortunately I threw it out in favour of a fancy double speaker, double deck Sony boom box!
Colin.
Closed Thread