UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Sep 2016, 5:27 pm   #1
sp10mk11
Octode

Default Unusual Mono Tape head

Hello I have a Silver Radio/Cassette from the early 1970s, the transport is an ITT type except with latching keys built on to it and an auto stop bar

The head has 3 pins, there seems to be a central pin that measures 77 ohms to one pin and 112 ohms to the other, so am I right in assuming that one side is for play back and the other for record, this does have a separate erase head just incase you are thinking that it does not.
the switching is done by the Record/Play switch, I would like to replace this head but I have nothing like it, plenty of stereo heads and mono heads with only two connections.

Anyone any ideas or advice.

Thanks
Gary
Old 4th Sep 2016, 7:17 pm   #2
sp10mk11
Octode

Default Re: Unusual Mono Tape head

I have been looking at some ITT cassette recorder schemetics and the Model SL-75 seems to have the same type of head, in as far as it has 3 connections and similar circuitry ( I am presuming that Silver copied it).

Gary
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ITT2.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	129640  
Old 5th Sep 2016, 2:47 pm   #3
ricard
Octode

I've seen this on Philips recorders as well. I could be completely wrong, but my guess is that you want as many turns as possible in playback to get as high a voltage as possible from the head, but in record mode you want fewer turns to so you that the bias voltage can be lower - especially important in battery-operated equipment.
Old 5th Sep 2016, 3:21 pm   #4
Refugee
Dekatron

I read this thread last night and it got me thinking.
Without looking at what all the wires connect to I will have to just guess that the 77 ohm coil has the bias on it and the 112 ohm winding carries the audio in record mode.
The 112 ohm winding obviously connects to the preamp in playback mode.
Old 5th Sep 2016, 4:39 pm   #5

A self oscillating bias used with a PM (permanant magnet) erase?

Old 5th Sep 2016, 5:21 pm   #6
sp10mk11
Octode

Hello Chaps thanks for your comments I was thinking a long the same lines, I might try and use a standard head and alter the switching on the record/replay switch, and fiddle about to get it to play and record well

The whole system runs on 7.5 volts DC but i can get upto about 12.7 from the bias oscillator what that will drop to with another head do not know......yet
The main problem is the Record/replay head is worn, no amount of cleaning demagnetising polishing will bring the top end up much beyond about 6K

merlinmaxwell
This tape deck has an AC powered erase head

Again Thanks
Gary
Old 6th Sep 2016, 2:21 am   #7
Maarten
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp10mk11 View Post
I have been looking at some ITT cassette recorder schemetics and the Model SL-75 seems to have the same type of head, in as far as it has 3 connections and similar circuitry ( I am presuming that Silver copied it).
Probably the other way around given the Japanese transistor in the schematic, or there was no copying involved at all (Silver might have been the OEM, or ITT and Silver used the same OEM).
Old 6th Sep 2016, 11:58 am   #8
sp10mk11
Octode

Hello Maarten
Yes they are both very similar, the one shown is the ITT head circuit, could possibly find the same sort of circuit on other makes of the time on reflection.
Gary
Old 6th Sep 2016, 1:05 pm   #9
wd40addict
Octode

My Grundig C410 had the same style of head, and back in the day it had to be changed due to wear...

For playback the whole winding is used: one end is grounded, other end connects to the base of the PB amp, with the centre connected to a 15k resistor to gnd. On record bias goes to one end, record signal to the centre and the other end is grounded.

Presumably the point of all this is to maximise head output on playback, whilst not needing a large voltage swing for recording. Effectively combining a high and low Z head in one unit.
Old 7th Sep 2016, 3:07 pm   #10
sp10mk11
Octode

Problem Solved !
Hmm shall I blame one small AG13 battery that runs a TDK Head Demag unit or shall I blame my self for being a silly old sod that doesn't always pay attention to what he is doing and failing to see the demag was not working properly
I wanted to try out a tape head that sort of similar resistance, so had it in my hand and put the demag on it and pushed the head forward, just a feint red glow came from the LED..........no don't tell me the battery after about 10 years is dying......................argh, so of course I thought of the original that had lost response and sensitivity, so out with trusty old Ross tape recorder head de-mag wand, gave the ITT head a good going over put it back in and hey ho a top end (of sorts) and recording sensitivity returned, bias back from 9.5 AC volts to 4.9 AC volts for TDK AD tape.
I am getting doddery I know and these sort of mistakes occur in other jobs some times, I have about 2 hours a day when I am in what I call "up Time" anything more and I am slowly getting tired and weary, but I am a sod for pushing on regardless but occasionally it has cost me dear in terms of errors.
So chaps thanks very much for your time and input on this one, pilot error I am afraid

Gary
Old 7th Sep 2016, 6:38 pm   #11
ricard
Octode

I think we've all made mistakes of that type from time to time, we take something for granted and feel ashamed when we realize that we'd completely overlooked something.

Great that you've got it going. I'm a bit confused about the bias voltage, would the bias voltage acreoss the head really be dependent on any residual DC magnetization? Indeed, the application of AC bias would in itself tend to demagnetize the head to start with.
Old 7th Sep 2016, 8:05 pm   #12
sp10mk11
Octode

Ricard
sorry I didn't explain that well, when the head was not working properly I had to turn the bias up to 9v to get a reasonable signal on the tape, but at the same time this was over biasing the head so the sound was compressed and flat.
Gary
Old 9th Sep 2016, 2:17 pm   #13
ricard
Octode

Ok, thanks for the explanation, that makes sense then.
Closed Thread