UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Computers

Notices

Vintage Computers Any vintage computer systems, calculators, video games etc., but with an emphasis on 1980s and earlier equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Sep 2018, 3:23 pm   #1
Chris55000
Nonode

Default BBC Microcomputer/Commodore schematic or PCB design software?

Hi!

Just a quickie one!

My friend's now restoring his BBC Model B and Commodore 64 Microcomputers, and I was wondering if there was any schematic or PCB design programs released for these machines that are now "abandon-ware" or on sale for a few pounds to buy I can try?

The "World Of Spectrum" has one for Sinclair's machines!

Any BBC or Commodore experts who can suggest please?

If anybody's got one (for a reasonable price!) I'm open to offers!

Chris Williams
Old 8th Sep 2018, 5:20 pm   #2
gingpeakin
Hexode

Default Re: BBC Microcomputer/Commodore schematic or PCB design software?

I used to have 'Diagram' from Pineapple software - I might still have the discs but I really don't know where they might be lurking. I think I also had an early version of Easy-PCB for the Acorn Archimedes which may be compatible but the same applies....

Ging
Old 8th Sep 2018, 6:27 pm   #3
GrahamN
Hexode

I have copies of Diagram v1 and PCB v1.05 as ROM images (both by Pineapple and for the BBC Micro) if they are any help.

I've never used them, though, so can't tell you if they are any good.
Old 9th Sep 2018, 7:12 pm   #4
Chris55000
Nonode

Hi!

Are they supplied as Binary Image Files that can be burnt onto a chip or as a cartridge/physical device?

(Please excuse my ignorance as BBC B's and Commodores 64's were way beyond my pocket-money at the time they were new so I've not seen a BBC Software ROM yet!)

I'm happy to offer something for these, please free to PM me with details, how much, etc., as I'd love to try them out on my Friend's machine as they'll give it a good test!

Chris Williams
Old 9th Sep 2018, 8:09 pm   #5
GrahamN
Hexode

You have a pm Chris
Old 9th Sep 2018, 11:17 pm   #6
joebog1
Banned

http://www.zimmers.net/anonftp/pub/c...computers/c64/
http://wiki.itmuseum.in.ua/images/8/...Oct85_Sec1.pdf

Both those found on first search!!

Joe
Old 10th Sep 2018, 12:06 am   #7
julie_m
Dekatron

Well, it would be an interesting challenge to pack a PCB design program into a 32KB Beeb, but I reckon it's just about do-able -- especially if you limited yourself to 24 apertures on the wheel, used MODE 5 graphics and kept as much as possible of the data and program on disk, only loading the bits you were actually working on and the code for the current operation into RAM.
Old 10th Sep 2018, 2:24 pm   #8
mhennessy
Dekatron

ROM images for Pineapple's PCB (3 versions), plus the auto-router can be downloaded from here:

ftp://ftp.nvg.org/pub/bbc/rom/Various/app/

Burning those onto a ROM obviously requires the appropriate hardware, plus suitable ROMs need to be sourced. Shame it's not a Master, as you could load ROM images into RAM on those machines (would just need a serial cable made to transfer the image from a PC to the BBC).

It runs in Mode 1, and is pretty tortuous to drive. And I say that as someone who still uses the original EasyPC for DOS
Old 10th Sep 2018, 8:39 pm   #9
Philips210
Nonode

Hi

Back in the distant past, I remember the fun I had using the Pineapple software PCB design package on my BBC B. It was pretty basic but quick and easy to use for most projects. I think it was on 5 1/4" floppy disk. I'll have to check. I still have all of my BBC setup in the loft and have been meaning to revisit it. Trouble is there are so many other projects on the go. Time is the problem these days.

Interesting to note Mark's mention of a ROM image. I guess this would involve burning to EPROM and using one of the sideways RAM sockets.

Regards,
Symon
Old 10th Sep 2018, 8:49 pm   #10
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philips210 View Post
I guess this would involve burning to EPROM and using one of the sideways RAM sockets.
If you have sideways RAM fitted, you can simply upload the software to it. Otherwise, you are correct that you need an EPROM programmer to copy it into a blank EPROM (or one that has been erased using UV light) and inserting it into one of the sideways ROM sockets.
Old 10th Sep 2018, 9:21 pm   #11
Philips210
Nonode

Thanks for clarifying that Dave. I seem to remember sideways RAM is fitted. There was a toggle switch that was operated and remember typing *PCB to load the Pineapple software. It's all a long time ago so I am looking forward to setting up my old system again which was last used in the mid 1990s. I'll first check out the PSU and look to see if there is a Rifa X type cap fitted to prevent any unnecessary drama.

Regards
Symon
Closed Thread