UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Apr 2022, 9:33 pm   #1
Rowbank
Triode

Default Boy Scout Training Licence (1953)

Looking through some old magazines, I found that the November 1953 issue of the RSGB Bulletin carried a report that "during the year the GPO introduced a Boy Scout Training Licence which permits 5 watt operation on a spot frequency on the 144 - 146Mc/s band."

Was this a forerunner of the Class B licence introduced decade later for 70cm and above?

Can anyone shed light on this licence?

Bruce

GM4BDJ
Old 7th Apr 2022, 10:09 am   #2
G3VKM_Roger
Heptode

Default Re: Boy Scout Training Licence (1953)

Hi Bruce,

I have asked a amateur radio friend who was in the Scouts in the 60s and he doesn't recall there being such a facility at that time.

I found the original article in the Bulletin but it didn't give any real details. I would think that commercial gear would be needed to ensure no QRM to other services and there wasn't a lot about in 1953. Home-brewing a station might also be problematic?

Perhaps there is something in the Boy Scouts magazines, I would imagine they will have an archive?

Roger/G3VKM
Old 7th Apr 2022, 12:08 pm   #3
G3PIJpeter
Hexode

I was in the Scouts in the late 1950s and also joined the fledging local amateur radio club at that time. From neither did I hear a whisper of this 1953 initiative - not that I asked.

The main route into 2 metres during the 1950s was almost invariably via ex-WD equipment in one hacked-about form or another. The first amateur signal I heard was on my MW crystal set - G3MHD "Mad Hound Dog" who, unbeknown to me, lived over the back of our house with his SCR522. The rest, as they say, is history . . .

Peter
Old 7th Apr 2022, 2:37 pm   #4
G3VKM_Roger
Heptode

Hi Peter,

I think that the "PCA Hamobile" transceiver was the only commercially-made 2m radio around the time in question, I have a June 1955 RSGB Bulletin with the advert taking the front cover.

Roger/G3VKM
Old 7th Apr 2022, 4:26 pm   #5
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Given the complexity of generating decent amounts of RF on 144MHz, back then, and similarly with receiving those frequencies, I find the idea of a 'boy-scout' licence for 2M deeply strange; plenty of fully-qualified and relatively-prosperous/well-testgear-equipped hams struggled to get radios to work on those frequencies !

I wonder what gear they were proposing to use? I guess it would have been super-regenerative 'rush-box' receivers and self-excited-oscillator transmitters?

E1148/CV6/DET20/VR145 valves, anybody?