UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 15th Aug 2011, 6:14 am   #21
Wage Slave
Hexode

Default Re: Philips B3G75U

Right, and thank you folks. The transformer is definitely an auto transformer as predicted so I will bear that in mind being careful to keep the chassis on neutral.

Capacitors have all been identified and have been ordered. It will take 10 days or so for them to arrive. Once they have I can look to seeing what it does with power applied.
Old 15th Aug 2011, 7:07 am   #22
Wage Slave
Hexode

Resistance across the mains with all valves in and power switch on is 623 ohms. HT smoothing capacitor seems OK on both the ESR meter and resistance. One side shoots up to open circuit, the other starts at about .7 MegOhms and then steadily increases to about 1.4 after a minute or so. It was still climbing steadily when the probe slipped off.
Old 15th Aug 2011, 7:20 am   #23
Wage Slave
Hexode

Default Re: Phiilips B3G75U

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herald1360 View Post
Check whether there is a (much) lower resistance between neutral in / neutral out and line in / line out. For safest operation there should be, other wise the output "neutral" could end up at 100V from ground with the set effectively on the same 100-0-100 as if it were on the aircon supply!
There is only a couple of ohms difference between the two with neutral effectively zero. So, I think it it must be an auto transformer as predicted.

Am I correct in thinking that in that case the key thing is to ensure that active is connected to the circuit and neutral to the chassis? A quick check with a test screwdriver will confirm this before doing anything with the set.

If I use this transformer will the mains RCD protection still work? I got the impression earlier that it would with an autotransformer but not an isolation type. Not that I intend to need it of course.
Old 15th Aug 2011, 10:12 am   #24
Wage Slave
Hexode

Just a quick check. THAT capacitor is C57 in the extract from the circuit diagram attached. Or have I misunderstood?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Phillips B3G75U circ0001.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	55156  
Old 15th Aug 2011, 10:37 am   #25
Alistair D
Nonode

Hi

You are correct C57 is THAT cap. All of your assumptions regarding the transformer and RCD are also correct.

One interesting point regarding the RCD. The transformer doubles the voltage and halves the current to keep the power transfer the same. 110volts@30mA = 220volts@15mA so your RCD will trip at half the current due to leakage on the 220 V side. No bad thing.

Al
Old 15th Aug 2011, 3:26 pm   #26
Sideband
Dekatron

Does Japan still use 70 - 90MHz for FM broadcasts? If so, there will be a problem using the Philips (or any other European set) there. Just a thought. Hopefully they have adopted International standards by now.

SB
Old 15th Aug 2011, 3:48 pm   #27
Wage Slave
Hexode

You are right of course they do still use 70-90 MHz and it is an issue. However, I plan to use this set tuned to a mini car transmitter fed by an ipod or PC output to get Radio 5 which is all anybody (ie me) listens to in this house. I suppose I could also feed the output from a local radio to the car transmitter if there was anything worth listening to.

I could even look at finding a way to feed the audio signal in so I can use it as an amplifier/speaker once I have a working radio.

The MW band will work OK but LW doesn't exist here so that won't be of any use at all. Eventually I may well bring the set back to the UK with me but I believe there is some doubt that there will be FM broadcasts there before too long.

In the meantime I'm just enjoying the challenge of getting it working and restored.
Old 15th Aug 2011, 6:00 pm   #28
Sideband
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wage Slave View Post
I believe there is some doubt that there will be FM broadcasts there before too long.
We don't want to go there in this thread or it will get closed!! Save to say that this is unlikely to happen in the foreseable future. Nuff said!!

SB
Old 17th Aug 2011, 7:03 am   #29
Wage Slave
Hexode

Whoops! Anyway, just waiting on parts now.

May as well think about rigging up my lamp limiter. The set is rated at about 60 watts according to the service sheet and 73 watts on the backplate.

So, I should use a 60watt bulb. Or am I missing something?

The bulb should glow dimly when the set is idling and then brighten as the volume goes up. How dim should it be at idle? Is it like a transistor unit and be very dim or will the heaters etc pull enough power to get a decent glow even idling over?
Old 17th Aug 2011, 7:53 am   #30
Wage Slave
Hexode

Just bought the manufacturer's sheet from the link at the top of the page. It has a bit more info on the paper capacitors and I see C61 (in the excerpt in my post above) on the output transformer is rated at 1,300 volts.

Is this really necessary or just what it happened to be? the replacement I ordered is 400V. A few of the others are 630V - would 400V be sufficient for these?
Old 17th Aug 2011, 8:04 am   #31
Sideband
Dekatron

This is presumably the tone corrector capacitor across the primary of the transformer? It is possible to get high transient voltages so you have the DC component plus whatever AC voltage in the form of audio that's riding on the top. Most of these capacitors have a rating 500v and upwards and it's not unusual to see 1000v or possibly 1500V used. Personally I would say that a modern 630V polyester would probably be the minimum to use and would be quite satisfactory. You are only likely to get excessive voltage here if the speaker is disconnected and the volume is up towards full.

SB
Old 17th Aug 2011, 10:00 am   #32
Wage Slave
Hexode

I see. Thanks, I will have to see about getting a 630V one in that case. Annoying as shipping cost is the same for one capacitor as it is for a bunch. Maybe I can find something suitable at my local shop, but I doubt it - there are almost no people restoring valve equipment around here.

Either that or avoid running it at high volume with the speaker disconnected ......
Old 17th Aug 2011, 10:59 am   #33
jjl
Octode

Please try never to run your set with the speaker disconnected. Damage to the output transformer and other components is likely when valve amplifiers are run without a load on the output transformer.

John
Old 17th Aug 2011, 12:04 pm   #34
Herald1360
Dekatron

Lamp limiter- a 100W bulb is fine for typical radios. The function is pretty vague anyway, the real benefit is that a short or low resistance unit under test will have the possible fault current limited to the normal running current of the lamp. The strongly positive tempco of the filament means that most OK sets will run after a fashion since the volt drop across the lamp decreases faster than the current through it for currents less than the nominal rating of the lamp.

Maybe if your set really does take 60W in normal running a parallel pair of 60W bulbs might be better than a single 100W, but it probably won't matter.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 17th Aug 2011, 12:45 pm   #35
Wage Slave
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herald1360 View Post
Maybe if your set really does take 60W in normal running a parallel pair of 60W bulbs might be better than a single 100W, but it probably won't matter.
I don't have a 100W bulb so I'll rig up two 60s. Thanks. Should I expect to see them fairly dim if all is well?
Old 17th Aug 2011, 3:44 pm   #36
Sideband
Dekatron

Yes. Dim light is good, bright light is bad (probably). Like most bits of test gear, you need to get the hang of interpreting the results. Remember that when a tungsten bulb is cold, the resistance is low (= maximum voltage to radio), when it's hot, the resistance is high (= minimum voltage to radio). That's why they work so well as limiters as (for instance) a dead short or very low resistance across the mains or HT rail will cause maximum current = bright lamp and minimum voltage to radio but it does mean that you have to use a sensible rating for the lamp depending on what you are connecting to it. Many people have several lamps that can be switched in parallel as required depending on their requirements. Try several good radio's with different lamps to get an idea of what brightness levels to expect.

SB
Old 17th Aug 2011, 7:05 pm   #37
Sideband
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wage Slave View Post
I see. Thanks, I will have to see about getting a 630V one in that case.
Well needs must and I always think that any hobby should be as cheap as possible.... don't forget that you can connect two higher value capacitors in series to lower the value and increase the voltage. Two 400V capacitors in series will make up 800v....ample for what you want. You can always put some shrink-wrap over the two capacitors to disguise them. A couple of .0022uF 400V in series will give you .0011uF 800V which will do nicely.

SB
Old 17th Aug 2011, 9:06 pm   #38
TrevorG3VLF
Rest in Peace

I do not like the series capacitor solution to increase voltage capability. If one capacitor has a slightly higher leakage than the other then the voltage will not be equally distributed.
Old 17th Aug 2011, 9:10 pm   #39
Herald1360
Dekatron

Connect a megohm across each to balance it up if you're worried. Any modern dielectric should have a leakage resistance way above 1 megohm. Two megs across the TX primary won't upset anything either.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 18th Aug 2011, 3:01 am   #40
Wage Slave
Hexode

I don't have 2 .0022s to hand so I think I'll just bite the bullet and order a 1,600V polypropylene. It's only really galling because I could have included it with the earlier order and saved £7.50 in delivery charges. No big deal really but I could easily have avoided it.
Closed Thread