UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Jun 2007, 9:57 pm   #21
GJR 11L
Heptode

Default Re: Valves Out, FETs In

Just found this thread while searching for a 1L6 equivalent!

Does anyone have a circuit for such a device please? Or a number for a valve that will sub the rare, expensive one in question?

Well a bloke has to try!
Old 22nd Jun 2007, 10:39 pm   #22
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

There are circuits around as mentioned already-I've seen some of them e and there is an HRO conversion where some valves were replaced by FET's. I'll see if I can root anything out but don't hold your breath. Dave
Old 22nd Jun 2007, 10:40 pm   #23
joe
Rest in Peace

John,

I believe that the nearest equivalent for a 1L6 is a DK92. It is (from memory) a pin for pin replacement, but re-alignment will be necessary and even then the HF performance will fall far short of the original.

I do have a circuit, indeed an article on an FET replacement which I'll try and fish out tomorrow and post. I also have an article that was written by Jim Duckworth on the subject which I'll also try & find tomorrow.

Joe
Old 22nd Jun 2007, 11:03 pm   #24
OldBoffin
Retired Dormant Member

Hi All,
I've replaced all the valves in a car radio with FETs,Transistors and an audio amp very sucessfully - it reduces the 12volt load substantially from that taken by the Vib pack! (but I've left the valve holders if anyone wants to restore to original - Its an ECKO CR152 which I want to sell for my Cancer charities. Also used FETs in a SPY Radio instead of the loctal frequency changer OK. so have a go!
OldBoffin.
Old 22nd Jun 2007, 11:14 pm   #25
XTC
Retired Dormant Member

Googling found this page on making a 1L6 solid state subsitute.

http://antiqueradios.com/marc/1l6.html

complete with circuit diagram.

There are also 1L6 valves and solid state substitutes available on the US version of a certain internet auction site.

Pete.
Old 23rd Jun 2007, 12:01 am   #26
GJR 11L
Heptode

Thanks Pete, very useful, I would rather keep my T.O. original if I can as I've heard a good one with all the correct valves and it was lovely, but that info looks most interesting.
Old 23rd Jun 2007, 5:10 am   #27
adrian
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJR 11L View Post
Just found this thread while searching for a 1L6 equivalent!

Does anyone have a circuit for such a device please? Or a number for a valve that will sub the rare, expensive one in question?

Well a bloke has to try!
There's a chap on Ebay selling a newer version of the solid-state 1L6 at around US$35. See my page http://www.zenithtrans-oceanic.porta....co.uk/1l6.htm for details.

Adrian
Old 23rd Jun 2007, 5:11 am   #28
adrian
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe View Post
John,

I believe that the nearest equivalent for a 1L6 is a DK92. It is (from memory) a pin for pin replacement, but re-alignment will be necessary and even then the HF performance will fall far short of the original.

I do have a circuit, indeed an article on an FET replacement which I'll try and fish out tomorrow and post. I also have an article that was written by Jim Duckworth on the subject which I'll also try & find tomorrow.

Joe
See my page at http://www.zenithtrans-oceanic.porta....co.uk/1l6.htm for more details (including the Duckworth Experiments) on 1L6/DK92 interchangeability.

Adrian
Old 23rd Jun 2007, 9:04 am   #29
GJR 11L
Heptode

Good site there. Adrian, although the pictures page is telling me that it doesn't want to cooperate. (404)

I found that solid state alternative on eBay U.S. last night and it looks like a good plan. Tried the set with a DK92 earlier and that seemed ok, if, as expected, a little weak at Higher frequencies, but I have several good DK92s and at least one of those gets my set working well enough to listen to the broadcast band and better that use than have it sitting idle while I seek out parts!

Thanks for your link.
Old 24th Jun 2007, 8:17 am   #30
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Referring to one of the (very) early posts on the PL802 replacements, the one we used in the 70s when supplies of the valve dried up was from Wizard Electronics in Manchester. It used a BF458 and, I think, a BC107 as an emitter follower to 'look like' a valve grid input.
Naturally, we only bought one of them - the rest you can guess ...

Sorry, cannot find the circuit, but it was fairly simple.
Old 24th Jun 2007, 5:06 pm   #31
Steve_P
Dekatron

I've got some of these somewhere in this mess! Wasn't there a problem with them not physically fitting some sets?

Cheers,

Steve P
Old 25th Jun 2007, 4:25 pm   #32
joe
Rest in Peace

Hi GJR11L

Pete(XTC) has beaten me to it by several days but I've attached the article by Jim Duckworth which originally appeared in the BVWS Bulletin.

If its too small or not clear enough to read then PM me & I'll arrange a copy by snail-mail.

Joe
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1L6.jpg
Views:	404
Size:	176.9 KB
ID:	10452   Click image for larger version

Name:	1L62.jpg
Views:	374
Size:	189.9 KB
ID:	10453  
Old 25th Jun 2007, 6:08 pm   #33
igranic
Rest in Peace

Joe,

In which issue of The Bulletin was this published? Armed with this information, interested BVWS members should be able to find it on their BVWS CD of backnumbers - if they can find the CD!

Edward
Old 25th Jun 2007, 6:49 pm   #34
murphyv310
Dekatron

Hi.
I had one of these Zenith sets with the usual 1L6 fault, the DK92 works ok on lower frequencies but if you look at the set the valve holder is larger than the rest as the set was designed for an octal valve. I eventually fitted a DK32 and octal base this restored full shortwave performance.
Trevor
Old 25th Jun 2007, 7:42 pm   #35
MALC SCOTT
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_P View Post
I've got some of these somewhere in this mess! Wasn't there a problem with them not physically fitting some sets?
Hi, Yes you are correct. If these solid state devices were fitted to the early Pye/Ekco sets, the heatsink could short out to the metal frame of the i/f deck! They did improve picture quality on sets with a low crt. Cheers, Malc.
Old 25th Jun 2007, 10:48 pm   #36
joe
Rest in Peace

Edward (Igranic)

Unfortunately I don't know! The article I scanned was a photocopy sent to me by the author following a conversation at a swapmeet. If I come across the answer via any other route then I'll post it.

I doubt if its old enough to be on the CD Rom of backnumbers of The Bulletin.

Joe
Old 26th Jun 2007, 11:45 am   #37
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by igranic View Post
Joe,

In which issue of The Bulletin was this published?

Edward
Volume 22 number 4 Winter 1997 (pp 26-27).
Old 26th Jun 2007, 1:44 pm   #38
igranic
Rest in Peace

Dave,
Thanks for supplying the issue number.

Joe
You were abolutely correct in doubting if it would be on the CD, which only goes as far as Volume 20.

Does any forum member have a copy of The Bulletin, Volume 22 number 4 Winter 1997 (pp 26-27) they can scan and post here? It would save joe the copying and postage.
Old 26th Jun 2007, 5:44 pm   #39
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Hopefully, at the expense of the pictures on the first page, this is a more readable copy of the text (scanned as "line art"). I had to reduce the resolution, however, to upload it to the forum

Incidentally, I hope it is acceptable to the BVWS committee for this to be reproduced here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1L6-lores-1.gif
Views:	257
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	10479   Click image for larger version

Name:	1L6-lores-2.gif
Views:	249
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	10480  
Old 28th Jun 2007, 5:44 pm   #40
GJR 11L
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe View Post
Hi GJR11L

Pete(XTC) has beaten me to it by several days but I've attached the article by Jim Duckworth which originally appeared in the BVWS Bulletin.

If its too small or not clear enough to read then PM me & I'll arrange a copy by snail-mail.

Joe
That works fine for me, thanks Joe and others, though as I may have mentioned in another thread the 1L6 is actually fine after all, typically, this was only discovered after (ab)using a DK92 which must have taken some muck out of the socket so that, when replaced, the 1L6 was, and remains, able to do its job properly.

I've had it [1L6] tested today (thanks Greg, please sell your tester to me!) and the result was very encouraging, so have cleaned all valveholders properly now.

However, I intend to explore the solid state alternative simply as an experiment, the T600 is far too good to have sitting in storage but I don't really want to wear out the 1L6 I have or the new old stock one I just bought from the good old U.S of A for very sensible money.