UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Apr 2007, 12:11 pm   #21
Bill
Pentode

Default Re: Old dry cells and batteries.

Re Oldham Batteries.
I live near the site of the former Oldham Batteries factory. The place was opened over 100 years ago to manufacture mostly lead acid batteries for industrial use. Much of the output went to supply the coal mining industry with miner's lamps and battery clipped to a waist belt and later , large traction batteries for underground electric haulage locomotives. Both applications required a very safe & rugged battery.
Automotive batteries were also made , Oldham employees had the "perk" of one free battery per year, so if you knew someone there you could often get your duff car battery replaced.
In recent years , Oldham's were taken over by the (American?) Hawker company and the factory closed, I believe production is now in Eastern Europe . The local factory is now a wasteland but there is still a sales office nearby.
I don't ever recall seeing an Oldham dry cell or battery.Sorry, nostalgia sent me a bit OT.

Bill
Old 26th Apr 2007, 4:55 pm   #22
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_I View Post
Bill, others may be able to elaborate more, but as far as I know, it's a stretch of the M60 orbital motorway round Manchester, in NW England.

(To keep things vaguely on topic.) Could this have been the Clifton Junction works mentioned in the attached ad? I think that's in the right place for "Death Valley".

Tom
Right on both counts, Tom. Sorry for delay in replying - missed it somehow, and BTs ADSL fell over yesterday.
Old 26th Apr 2007, 10:41 pm   #23
plumbweiss
Retired Dormant Member

Those Siemens brown cells are sometimes still found in the old AVO 40 and 7, wire ended, thats why more modern 7's etc have their thumbscrew connections with an adapter for a D cell. I have one in the workshop as a keepsake.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hobday1.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	9416  

Last edited by plumbweiss; 26th Apr 2007 at 11:06 pm.
Old 27th Apr 2007, 12:18 pm   #24
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

I like the way they proudly prolcaim "guaranteed 3 months"
Old 28th Apr 2007, 1:43 am   #25
plumbweiss
Retired Dormant Member

Mm, this is a page from Hobday's 1936 radio catalogue, a big affair that has lots of goodies inside, pages of HT/LT batteries as well which I might scan in later...TV's /radios etc. Any special requests for brands/products/ let me know, useful source of trade prices in those days!
Closed Thread