UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Aug 2017, 7:52 pm   #1
M0FYA Andy
Nonode

Default Samwell & Hutton Wobbulator type 43B

I've just bought on of these. I've Googled for any information about it, but drawn a blank. Does anyone have any information on this interesting-looking item of test equipment, please?

Many thanks,

Andy
Old 18th Aug 2017, 8:06 am   #2
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: Samwell & Hutton Wobbulator type 43B

You could try looking for data under CT501

The Marconi TF2008 is a lab-grade signal generator covering 10kHz to 510MHz, though it tunes a bit fast at the low end. It does sweeps and it does FM which is useful for narrow sweeps. One of these lives on the shelf in my shack and with a scope it works quite well. Witha 100MHz scope, I don't need to use a detector, I can just look at the RF anywhere down an IF. There is a crystal calibrator and headphone socket if you want to get it accurate the old way, or there's a separate counter output which is more convenient. I bought mine for £80 in the late 1980s, in dead condition (dial cord off a pulley!) I've seen them appear at a wild range of prices. It has a lot more uses than just wobbulating.

Most modern microprocessor controlled synthesisers and sig gens have sweep facilities (it's just a trivial bit of code) but the sweeps are usually slow enough to need a storage scope.

My tool of choice is a spectrum analyser with a tracking generator, but this doesn't work with anything with a frequency conversion in it.

There are lots of alternative options, and that's why the CT501 is fairly rare.

David
Old 18th Aug 2017, 9:17 am   #3
M0FYA Andy
Nonode

David,
Are you saying this is identical to the CT501?
Andy
Old 18th Aug 2017, 1:08 pm   #4
Radio Wrangler

I believe the CT501 is the military version of one of the S&H wobbulators. There may be some differences, but you may get a lot of help from the CT501 documentation.

Ah, I've found a reference to the CT501 being the Samwell and Hutton 78M wobbulator

I have no direct experience of either, I used a home made wobbulator and a home made scope as a kid. After that I worked for HP and had access to almost limitless test equipment.

Diavid

Last edited by Radio Wrangler; 18th Aug 2017 at 1:16 pm.
Old 18th Aug 2017, 4:41 pm   #5
vosperd
Hexode

Good luck, but I think you may have bought the only one of these!
Here is a link to the CT501 that will give you an idea of its use.

http://www.recelectronics.co.uk/ct501.htm

I guess it's nothing like the type 43. I saw it on Ebay and it looks in good physical condion from the photos so hopefully there won't be much wrong with it. There doesn't seem to be much about Samwell and Hutton on the internet. I think I may have some info on the CT501 but I don't think it will help.
Don m5aky
Old 18th Aug 2017, 7:32 pm   #6
M0FYA Andy
Nonode

Don, thanks for that link. It does indeed look like a totally different item. As you say, there is very little about the company on the internet. I discovered they ceased in 1986.
I do have a perverse liking for odd-ball items, which is why I bid on it!
Andy
Old 18th Aug 2017, 7:45 pm   #7
AC/HL
Dekatron

An earlier post, although it doesn't really add much: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...94&postcount=2
Old 18th Aug 2017, 9:52 pm   #8
MotorBikeLes
Nonode

Thirty odd years ago I had two S&H wobbulators They were clearly suitable for TV work, but none of the stuff I worked on ever seemed to need any sort of alignment, and other than playing with them, I don't think I used either. Nothing like the 501, so likely the 43B
Ten years earlier I bought a Cossor 1320 Band 1 TV alignment generator and I used that to align quite a few FM radios (7 to 70 Mc/s,so direct for IF and first harmonic I guess for RF) in conjunction with a scope, A Marconi 2200A probably.
Les.
Old 20th Aug 2017, 9:46 am   #9
Bill
Pentode

I have a Samwell & Hutton 41B TV Wobbulator. I 'm guessing it's early 1950's and was probably used on the Ferranti TV production lines . It has the appearance of a piece of WW2 military equipment with a six inch VCR97 type scope tube and a number of EF50s.The Wobbulation (!) is derived from a motor driven variable capacitor(?) . It is a large piece of gear and I've never been able to test it properly. Would it be useful to someone for vintage TV repair?
Bill
Old 20th Aug 2017, 10:49 am   #10
M0FYA Andy
Nonode

I suspect the 43B is going to be very similar, which will suit me!
I'll take some pictures inside when it arrives.
Andy
Old 23rd Aug 2017, 7:19 pm   #11
M0FYA Andy
Nonode

The Type 43B Wobbulator was delivered an hour ago!
I've just had an initial look inside after unpacking it, it all looks very good. I imagine the CRT is a VCR97, but no label is visible as it will be under the mu-metal shield.
Fifteen valves, a mixture of octal, B7G and B9A types. Assuming they are all good I got more than my money's-worth in the tube and valves alone!
I'll get some pictures inside in the next couple of days.
Andy
Old 23rd Aug 2017, 8:44 pm   #12
AC/HL
Dekatron

One post moved to a new thread: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=139226
Old 2nd Sep 2017, 11:54 am   #13
M0FYA Andy
Nonode

Apologies for the delay, but here are four pictures of the wobbulator.
It's very solidly built, and in very good condition.
Andy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	148758   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	148759   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	148760   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	148761  
Old 2nd Sep 2017, 2:04 pm   #14
Andrewausfa
Octode

Looks like it's just come out of the stores! What a great find. Please keep sharing how this one's coming along as I'm most interested.

Andrew
Old 2nd Sep 2017, 2:41 pm   #15
M0FYA Andy
Nonode

Andrew, you're right, it's obviously been looked after and stored in good conditions.
I'll not be doing anything active with it initially, I've got too many other priority projects, so it will have to join the 'round tuit' pile.
I just couldn't resist buying it as nobody else was interested and I thought the price quite reasonable!
It's frustrating that information on it looks to be non-existant.

Andy
Old 2nd Sep 2017, 3:12 pm   #16
Radio Wrangler

That does look like VCR97 tube. You'll probably find several drifted carbon comp resistors, but the condition makes it look like it's got many years of happy wobbulating still ahead of it.

David