UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Computers

Notices

Vintage Computers Any vintage computer systems, calculators, video games etc., but with an emphasis on 1980s and earlier equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Apr 2015, 4:57 pm   #1
kickfest
Retired Dormant Member

Default ZX Spectrum display fault

Hi all

Wondering if anyone here has any experience with ZX Spectrum repair, as I've recently picked up a 48k which wouldn't power on. After replacing the voltage regulator it now powers on successfully but it's still quite poorly.

When it powers on, black pixels being to appear randomly at the top of the screen
Video: https://youtu.be/_EsnNRVrpQY

Attempting LOAD "" turns the screen into a random mess of characters (picture attached).

I know which end of a soldering iron to hold, but I'm really quite novice when it comes to these things so if anyone has any suggestions then I'd be really grateful! I have a working Spectrum+ as well if that's any help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150403_224843074[1].jpg
Views:	215
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	106520  
Old 4th Apr 2015, 7:08 pm   #2
jay_oldstuff
Octode

Personally the first thing I would do is try a replacement ULA purely because I've seen smiler symptoms linked to a faulty ULA it could also be a ram fault or a fault in some of the associated glue logic. I can highly recommend watching the videos on YouTube by JoulesperCoulomb he goes through the basic fault finding and repair of the 48k spectrum and his videos are a very good starting point.

Jay
Old 24th Jul 2016, 5:21 pm   #3
Mad Mal
Tetrode

Default Re: ZX Spectrum display fault

That's what I suspect. also the transistor and electrolytics associated with voltage on the board. There's not that much room in the Spectrum case. I put mine in a D'kTronics keyboard and when, after a year's worth of faithful service, that transistor failed. I replaced it with a TIP 31... no more power problems. The ULA went through a couple of revisions during production, but all versions were pin for pin compatible. It was changes to the internal mask that helped with heat dissipation in think.
Closed Thread