UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Offered and Wanted Messages > Repair and Restoration Services Wanted

Notices

Repair and Restoration Services Wanted If you need someone to repair or restore equipment for you please post your request here.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Jan 2024, 3:31 pm   #1
agardiner
Octode

Default Machined new brass part required

I am looking for someone with the skills and equipment to machine a new part probably out of brass, to repair the platter on a Dansette turntable platter.

The part needed is the piece that fits into the centre of the platter, which includes the shaft for the record to sit on, with a ball bearing held in the top. This slides over and rests on a shaft in the record player. Photos attached.

I have the original pieces of the damaged one as a pattern. The original was slightly bent, and when trying to remove the ball bearing to correct it, the piece broke. You would need to have a lathe and some kind of press to push the new part into the turntable.

I have also posted a wanted ad in parallel to this one in case anyone should happen to have a replacement platter instead.

Please PM me if you think you might be able to help.

Many thanks,

Adrian.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5979.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	291372   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5978.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	291373   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5980.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	291374  
Old 22nd Jan 2024, 3:32 pm   #2
agardiner
Octode

Default Re: Machined new brass part required

I should say, photo one above shows the piece needed. The left hand bit and part above it, is what is required as one new piece. Ignore the bit on the right of the photo; this goes over the piece and pushes the autostop mech when the arm gets to the end of the record.
Old 22nd Jan 2024, 3:35 pm   #3
Station X

Anyone undertaking this work would require an accurate drawing of the part required.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 22nd Jan 2024, 6:48 pm   #4
agardiner
Octode

I have the original broken part as a template.
Old 23rd Jan 2024, 10:19 am   #5
pbengtech
Pentode

Hi Adrian,
Can you please post some more photos from different angles of the broken part and a drawing showing the dimensions, is the item hollow?
Regards,
Phil Blundell
Old 23rd Jan 2024, 9:47 pm   #6
agardiner
Octode

Thanks Phil. I will have a measure up and post photos; may take a day or two. Yes, the item is drilled out in order to sit on a shaft and contains a captive ball bearing at the top which it rests on.

Regards,
Old 23rd Jan 2024, 9:52 pm   #7
Station X

It appears to me that the part has split at the circlip groove? If that's the case the distance from the circlip groove to the shoulder below it will be critical as the turntable needs to be gripped so that it doesn't rotate on the part.

Also critical could be the depth of the hole and overall length of the part. I'm unsure as to whether the part sits on a ball at the top of the fixed spindle or sits on the washer surrounding it.

The hole will have to be reamed if it's to be a good fit on the spindle and that means using a parallel reamer, rather than a tapered one. Alternatively a D bit could be used.

Not too difficult a job as far as I can see, but accuracy is essential.

EDIT. Crossed with Phil.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 26th Jan 2024, 2:07 pm   #8
agardiner
Octode

Many thanks to those that responded. Thanks to another forum member, I have acquired a replacement platter, so no longer require the original one repairing.

Mods, this thread can be closed thanks.
Closed Thread