UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Jul 2021, 7:16 pm   #1
hugozair
Triode

Default AVO8 mk5 mechanical problem

I have just acquired another Avo8 Mk5 which has a problem with the 37.5 uA movement. If I "twist&turn the whole thing or apply a voltage the pointer stops dead abrupty at 1/10th FSD. I've opened it but in this "modern" version the movement is buried.. I wondered if anyone could suggest what could be the obstruction.. and whether it's worth what looks like a nightmare de-construct.. Thanks for opinions.. Roger

Last edited by hugozair; 23rd Jul 2021 at 7:17 pm. Reason: added Mk5
Old 23rd Jul 2021, 8:57 pm   #2
newlite4
Octode

Default Re: AVO8 mk5 mechanical problem

I have had this problem before. I discovered that the magnet was slightly off-centre as described in this site:

https://www.petervis.com/avo-meters/...-movement.html

The magnet is not particularly well secured within the movement housing and is prone to shifting. Once the transparent cover is peeled off, access to the magnet is fiddly but do-able.
Neil
Old 24th Jul 2021, 10:05 am   #3
Jon_G4MDC
Nonode

Whiskers of iron filings in the coil gap are also common if the glass has worked loose.
Old 24th Jul 2021, 7:40 pm   #4
hugozair
Triode

Thank you both.. I've nothing to loose by trying.. Roger
Old 8th Aug 2021, 7:34 pm   #5
hugozair
Triode

Looking closely at the top end of the movement I can see a pin lying across the magnet. This pin looks remarkably like the one that sticks out at right angles to the needle on the other side.(pic) if it's that thats come off how was it fixed and do I have any chance of fixing it ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	avo8 pin.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	239085  
Closed Thread