UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 14th Jan 2010, 3:15 pm   #1
Aerodyne
Octode

Default Aerodyne 'Swan' restoration

It may be of interest to some forum members that I've updated my website and among other things, there is a page showing images taken during the restoration of the Aerodyne 'Swan' that was the subject of a recent article in Radio Bygones issue 118 and 119.
The photos show some of the stages involved in both cabinet and chassis restoration. I'll be pleased to answer any enquiries about my method or about any particular photograph on the page. The pictures are all thumbnails, opened by clicking on them and closed by either clicking the bottom left button on the photoframe or anywhere outside the picture area.
Mods, if this violates any rules, please remove.

Direct link to photoguide page:

http://www.vintageradioworld.co.uk/photoguide.htm

or to website:

www.vintageradioworld.co.uk

-Tony
Old 14th Jan 2010, 6:17 pm   #2
oldticktock
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Photoguide now on website

Tony,

Superb restoration and what a lovely wireless.

I'm fascinated with the process of moulding a new knob, can you expand if permitted?

Regards
OTT
Old 15th Jan 2010, 12:00 am   #3
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Thanks for the links to the pics and website Tony Really enjoyed the Bygones article, so it was nice to see even more pics on the Swan restoration. Much of the advice is of course generic to any "woody" restoration, and is much appreciated.

Keep them coming!

Regards,

David,
G4EBT
Old 15th Jan 2010, 11:30 am   #4
Retired
Heptode

Hi Tony,

A splendid restoration and an inspiration to us all. Its easy to sit here and look at the pictures but this kind of work takes a great deal of effort and dedication to accomplish.

Its interesting to see you used filler on the cabinet and its turned out well. Another lovely set put back into service; top marks.

Regards, Col.
Old 15th Jan 2010, 11:32 am   #5
Aerodyne
Octode

For OTT and anyone else interested, I've posted a brief summary of moulding and casting methods here:

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...347#post299347

This is by nature a complex subject. Even my article in RB issue 97 was only a cursory look at the topic. It requires a full book to itself, I fear.
-Tony
Old 15th Jan 2010, 11:38 am   #6
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: Aerodyne 'Swan' restoration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerodyne View Post
Mods, if this violates any rules, please remove.
It's fine, Tony, but the mods have decided that it better belongs in Success Stories
Old 16th Jan 2010, 1:10 pm   #7
geofy
Retired Dormant Member

Your whole website is excellent. I hope you kept the non original speaker you removed from the Swan, an impressive looking wireless set and superb restoration.

Geof
Old 16th Jan 2010, 5:17 pm   #8
Aerodyne
Octode

Hi Geof
Yes, I certainly did keep the non-original loudspeaker. I never throw away items that have the possibility of future use, and even if - in the case of major components -they are not in working order, the parts (cones, laminations, cases etc) that make them up could and often do come in very useful.
Pleased you like the link.
-Tony
Closed Thread