UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd May 2018, 11:34 pm   #21
winston_1
Hexode

Default Re: Toshiba C-1480

It was not only the UK that had this problem. Hong Kong also used system I UHF only and sets there also often had no VHF tuner. In South Africa system I was used on band 3 and UHF, and sets sold there had VHF tuners fitted that were band 3 only. When things got rough in South Africa many people migrated to Australia taking their sets with them. A friend of mine there converted lots of their sets to system BG and had to explain that they would not get band 1. In the main cities this was the ABC on channel 2.
Old 4th May 2018, 6:12 pm   #22
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

The confusion gets worse when you encounter the Teleton 12" portable that was fully 405/625, VHF/UHF equipped. The model number was TA12DU. An identical looking model was the TA12U that was 625 VHF/UHF but no 405 line capability.

I never had a problem with customers selecting the VHF tuner. It was all a matter of explaining why the tuner was fitted. I could spend those extra moments with the customer, the big chain stores merely dumped and ran. John.
Old 4th May 2018, 9:04 pm   #23
kan_turk
Hexode

Just to be picky - Australia was system 'B' on VHF and UHF ie 7MHz channel spacing, not 'BG' - in fact there was no such standard as 'BG', just sets that operated on two, closely related standards used in Western Europe - 'B' (7MHz channels) on VHF and 'G' (8MHz channels) on UHF . One could equally describe Great Britain in the dual-standard era as operating on system 'AI' with the same validity.

Rgds
John

Last edited by kan_turk; 4th May 2018 at 9:05 pm. Reason: Word omitted
Closed Thread