UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd May 2018, 9:43 pm   #1
Richard_FM
Nonode

Default Casio TV-500 Audio / Visual Socket

A while back I bought a Casio TV-500 LCD TV of eBay but haven't had much time to do much with it.

It works fine with an RF connection, but I've not been able to get a decent picture with the 3/5mm Audio / Visual Socket. I've tried both 2 & 3 RCA to 3.5mm cables but couldn't get anything with the 3 way (I tried all 3).

With the 2 way I could get a fuzzy picture if I used the left channel RCA connector & moved the 3.3mm plug out slightly, but the slightest movement would leave me with a blank screen.

I imagine it need a specific 3.5mm plug to connect correctly, assuming there isn't a fault.

If anyone can suggest anything it would be useful.
Old 3rd May 2018, 10:06 pm   #2
julie_m
Dekatron

Default Re: Casio TV-500 Audio / Visual Socket

I'd be surprised if it was not a standard 3-conductor ("stereo") 3.5mm. jack socket. But I would not be surprised if it was wired in some unusual fashion like not having what you might think of as the earth connection as earth, just to try to force you to buy their special expensive A/V cable as opposed to using any old Walkman-to-hi-fi cable. (Remember this is before the Internet; no videos showing how to solder up your own A/V cable, nor online marketplaces full of cheap knock-offs of anything you like. Though there were still repair shops, with staff capable of making up custom cables.)

If you have a 3-conductor 3.5mm. plug and a digital multimeter, look for one of the plug connections having a low resistance to the negative battery terminal; that's the earth, and the other two must be video and audio.
Old 3rd May 2018, 11:41 pm   #3
winston_1
Heptode

There are two versions of 3.5mm A/V jack plug. One version, often found in £ shops, is the same size as a stereo plug with an additional ring for video. Another version, supplied with Roku among others, is longer and goes deeper into the corresponding socket.
Old 4th May 2018, 1:45 am   #4
kan_turk
Hexode

Don't know about this specific model but quite a few similar sets use 4 pole 3.5mm jacks for A/V connections - with at least 2 different pinouts just to aleviate boredom

Rgds to all
John
Old 4th May 2018, 11:26 am   #5
philthespark
Pentode

We get some supplied with certain cctv stuff we use, I could probably dig one out for you if you like, try it and see if it works? Pm me if you want me to send you one.
Old 4th May 2018, 2:35 pm   #6
Richard_FM
Nonode

Thanks for the feedback I've been doing some searching & have found the original Casio cables are available, but at a price.

It looks like the jack might be slightly longer than normal, at least going by a You Tube video of someone demonstrating one.

At the moment the TV is being a bit temperamental using the RF connector, but it might be due to low batteries, next time I'll try with a mains adaptor.
Closed Thread