UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 13th Apr 2010, 8:46 pm   #21
Millay_2010
Hexode

Default Re: Wiring a 232 to a bellset no 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Moll View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by russell_w_b View Post
I have given the colours of a standard BT plug and lead: red, green, blue, white. You may find instead that black, red, green and yellow respectively have been used.
Interestingly, the black/red/green/yellow leads which I have equate black to white and yellow to red, which is the opposite way round from yours.
The Problems with standards is, there are so many standards to choose from
Old 13th Apr 2010, 10:28 pm   #22
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Default Re: Wiring a 232 to a bellset no 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millay_2010 View Post

The Problems with standards is, there are so many standards to choose from
Indeed!

I think the easiest way is to refer to the plug numbers, L to R (which, of course, are reversed WRT the connections on the back of the socket!). Instead of referring to the BT standard plug and lead white, blue and red, think instead 2, 4, 5 (or 5, 3, 2 if referring to the terminals on the back of the socket).

Find a method you are comfortable with. I tend to think of the terminals on the back of the socket and take it from there:

White from plug = 5 socket back = 2 plug = common speech / loop / bell.
Blue from plug = 3 socket back = 4 plug = bell (and anti-tinkle via DON mechanism shunting the bell on instrument doing the dialling).
Red from plug = 2 socket back = 5 plug = speech / loop.

Years ago I used to remember it all by association:

A White sports coat (and a pink carnation): A wire
B red (bread): B wire
White Fiver: where white goes on the socket.
Sit on the cool white earth: relative polarity on socket back. And, of course, the telephone system is positive earth, so the others follow!

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Closed Thread