UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 29th Jun 2008, 4:44 pm   #1
Davey9923
Retired Dormant Member

Default Reproduction candlestick telephone.

I have bought posibly a 1980 reproduction brass candalstick telephone. When I took it apart I found just bare wires and 1 limit swith connected to the reciver. Does anyone know what parts should be inside this phone and where i might be able to get them fom?
Cheers Dave
Old 29th Jun 2008, 7:17 pm   #2
jim_beacon
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: reproduction candalstick phone

there should be a small printed circuit board, which contains the mic amp, ringing circuit, hybrid circuit and a few other bits, I seem to remeber that htese had an electronic ringer.

I suspect the only way you'll get one is from a donor phone.

Jim.
Old 30th Jun 2008, 10:49 pm   #3
Davey9923
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Reproduction candlestick telephone.

Cheers Jim,
Dave
Old 1st Jul 2008, 11:35 am   #4
newlite4
Octode

Dave, this might have been made by Telephone Lines of Cheltenham in the late 1970s. They made them to commemorate 100 years of the telephone and was part of their "Conversation Pieces" range. The phones themselves contained only the dial and 'receiver-lift' microswitch, the attached 1a bell-box contained the coil and any other electromechanical gubbins. They used traditional technology and many of the parts used (apart from the brass parts) were original 1920s components.
Neil
Old 1st Jul 2008, 3:40 pm   #5
julie_m
Dekatron

You should be able to transplant the guts of any cheap one-piece telephone (a few quid from a street market) into your candlestick.
Old 1st Jul 2008, 11:09 pm   #6
Davey9923
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newlite4 View Post
Dave, this might have been made by Telephone Lines of Cheltenham in the late 1970s. They made them to commemorate 100 years of the telephone and was part of their "Conversation Pieces" range. The phones themselves contained only the dial and 'receiver-lift' microswitch, the attached 1a bell-box contained the coil and any other electromechanical gubbins. They used traditional technology and many of the parts used (apart from the brass parts) were original 1920s components.
Neil
Cheers Neil, I think you are spot on as it says on the dial that it commerates x number of years. Its certainly a conversation piece in our house due to the hours Ive spent on it wiring up all sorts of things to get it to work.
Dave
Old 1st Jul 2008, 11:11 pm   #7
Davey9923
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajs_derby View Post
You should be able to transplant the guts of any cheap one-piece telephone (a few quid from a street market) into your candlestick.
Thanks for your advice, I will start looking.
Cheers Dave
Old 2nd Jul 2008, 11:29 am   #8
newlite4
Octode

Bear in mind that although the receiver element would be a standard magnetic type, compatible with modern phones, the fitted transmitter (microphone) would be a carbon granule type as opposed to an electret element which is normally used nowadays.
Neil
Old 2nd Jul 2008, 6:58 pm   #9
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Your best bet might be to plumb it into a 1970s dial phone hidden away in a cupboard. That way, you'd get a bell and all the necessary passive components (ASTIC, resistors and capacitors) in one neatish package, and it would compatible with the carbon mic. You can pick up a GPO 746 for under a fiver at most car boots.

Nick.
Old 3rd Jul 2008, 11:23 pm   #10
Davey9923
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Nick,
Thanks for your advice on using an old phone as a bell box. I made an attempt at that but got confused trying to replace the reciever switch on the746 phone with the micro switch on the candalstick reciever. The reciever switch on the 746 looked so confusing that i gave up. Any Ideas how i could replace this reciever with the one in the candalstick ?
Cheers dave
Old 4th Jul 2008, 3:13 pm   #11
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Hi Dave,

Here's a diagram of a 746 phone - though it's shown in the original hard-wired arrangement, rather than adapted for modern plug-in operation. I presume you know how to do the conversion?

Anyway, you can see that the "gravity switch" operated by the receiver has 5 terminals, marked 1-5. (It's shown on the diagram in two bits, one above and one below the back-to-back diodes). However, it's just being used as a simple two-pole [DPST] switch.

When the receiver is lifted:

~One half forms a connection between terminal T2 and T4/T5/T6 (which are strapped together).

~The other half connects pin 4 of the coil ("transformer") to T19 (which, by the way, should be strapped to T18, T17 and T16 when the phone's been "converted").

Presumably, the candlestick has a similar two-pole switch? It should be possible to run a 4-core cable to this, and solder the other end to the 746's PCB, after removing its original gravity microswitch.

Good luck,
Nick.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	746 diagram.jpg
Views:	1115
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	18286  
Old 4th Jul 2008, 8:10 pm   #12
Davey9923
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Nick,
That is marvelous, I will have a go this weekend and let you know how i get on.
Cheers Dave
Old 19th Jul 2008, 6:26 pm   #13
dagskarlsen
Heptode

The simplest way to do it is the way Kelloggs did in some early models.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...ne/kellogg.jpg

dsk
Old 20th Jul 2008, 7:17 am   #14
dagskarlsen
Heptode

Additional info about ringer in Norway ++
Dial wire 2 is moved to line side of hook-sw.
dsk

PS Tinkeling may be eliminated by a triac/diac in series with the ringer.
DS
Old 23rd Jul 2008, 6:21 am   #15
Davey9923
Retired Dormant Member

Cheers dagskarlsen,
Looks easy enough, will give it a go
Cheers Dave
Closed Thread