UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Closed Thread

Old 24th Mar 2017, 10:49 am   #21
kellys_eye
Octode

Default Re: Painting the inside of a steel pipe for a vintage street light installation

I concur with #18.

This is a rather pointless task given that it won't ever be visible and that rust is itself a 'protection'. If the pipe is otherwise sealed (but with a vent) and water ingress isn't an issue then painting the inside is a task that will see no appreciable benefits in the lifetime of the lamp.
Old 27th Mar 2017, 9:55 pm   #22
high_vacuum_house
Octode

Smile Re: Painting the inside of a steel pipe for a vintage street light installation

Good evening,
Many thanks for your replies.
Whilst the weather was good today I decided to paint the inside of the pipe. I used the Screwfix no nonsense red oxide primer and poured about 2 small cups of paint in and pulled a rag on some string before rolling it around. The inside of the pipe is thickly painted with primer now. The exterior got painted with black hammer finish Hammerite paint. Needs a second coat but is looking very nice.

Spent this afternoon preparing the concrete swan neck, jointing the underground SWA cable and fitting the light switch and junction boxes. Hopefully more progress tomorrow.

Christopher Capener
Old 27th Mar 2017, 10:36 pm   #23
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Default Re: Painting the inside of a steel pipe for a vintage street light installation

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellys_eye View Post
I concur with #18.

This is a rather pointless task given that it won't ever be visible and that rust is itself a 'protection'. If the pipe is otherwise sealed (but with a vent) and water ingress isn't an issue then painting the inside is a task that will see no appreciable benefits in the lifetime of the lamp.
Curious, that on a forum dedicated to Restoration that some are so averse to the idea of Preservation.

B
Old 1st Apr 2017, 8:54 pm   #24
high_vacuum_house
Octode

Smile Re: Painting the inside of a steel pipe for a vintage street light installation

Good evening,
The steel pipe has been finished and the light assembled. It was connected up this morning. The concrete swan neck is surprisingly heavy though it is steel reinforced.

The lamp that came with it (a Thorn beta 5 35w SOX ) was removed and a 50's ELECO open lamp type was fitted. This was restored and cleaned up of old paint and finally the aluminium canopy was polished so it looks as it would when new. A new ceramic bulb holder was fitted as the original ones metalwork had gone very dull.

The lamp installed is a vintage 200W GLS ES single coil type for authenticity. This has a much larger envelope size than conventional lamps to keep it cool so that rain hitting the envelope will not crack it.

I am quite impressed with it and hopefully see some service during the summer evenings

Christopher Capener
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lamp post1.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	140251   Click image for larger version

Name:	lamp post2.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	140252  
Old 1st Apr 2017, 11:35 pm   #25
emeritus
Dekatron

I wonder if the vintage lamp is a vacuum type? A 1930's school physics text book described an experiment in which vacuum and gas-filled lamps of the same wattage were switched on and the pupils were instructed to briefly touch the envelopes of both, and to observe that, while the envelope of the gas-filled bulb was hot, the envelope of the vacuum bulb was barely warm. I don't have any vacuum bulbs to try it myself.
Closed Thread