UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Apr 2017, 2:53 pm   #21
Ian - G4JQT
Octode

Default Re: Bush TV24 A Chassis Disassembly

Yes, I gently sanded the rubber, washed it and gave it several coats of spray Valspar Satin Soul Stone 22123 - a sort of grey/pale green. I probably got it from B&Q so not some obscure paint.

I think the rubber masks did vary a bit in colour (maybe due to age?), but although what I used is more grey than green, it looks OK to me.

I'm sure there are nearer matches...

Ian
Old 25th Apr 2017, 6:46 pm   #22
Ryan_1993
Hexode

Here is an update before and after using the varnish remover. On these images I have only used the varnish remover and no wood staining or anything of the sort. The veneer seems to have gone darker not lighter like I expected odd? I rather like it though and that nasty deep scratch is hardly visible now.

What kind of wood is this? I thought it was walnut but it looks kinda like rose wood in the light. I would like the glassy like finish as before so is a lacquer based varnish my best option for that?

Ryan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	before & after.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	141529  

Last edited by Ryan_1993; 25th Apr 2017 at 6:55 pm.
Old 25th Apr 2017, 7:55 pm   #23
Freya
Octode

Looks like American walnut
Old 26th Apr 2017, 7:46 am   #24
Ryan_1993
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freya View Post
Looks like American walnut
Yeah I guess it is. I am gonna give it a light oil/stain applied with a rag I have some American walnut coloured oil. On some parts the veneer has slightly faded, I think an oil will improve it though.
Old 26th Apr 2017, 7:51 am   #25
Freya
Octode

You could use some 240grit paper on the sun bleached areas to see if the colour is better, but use a hard sanding block not a spongy type, and always go with the grain. take care on the edges which are the weakest places.
Old 26th Apr 2017, 8:23 am   #26
vidjoman
Dekatron

Walnut was a wood that was often used. The mention of 'American' walnut often implies a very dark stain applied - just look at American products of the time, all very dark. I recall that the Bush cabinets were lighter although they may have been available as light or dark. It's just that I can't recall seeing a dark version. Pye often used a dark stain on their cabinets at that time.
Old 26th Apr 2017, 10:47 am   #27
Ryan_1993
Hexode

What do you think I should do to the veneer just clean it, very lightly sand and cover with high gloss yacht varnish? I want it to look really shinny like glass as a show piece. I don't care if this finish is overemphasised a bit and not original. I do quite like the veneer colour as is though.
Old 26th Apr 2017, 12:39 pm   #28
vidjoman
Dekatron

Paint remover will often leave the surface looking darker. Try a clean with white spirit and it may go a shade lighter. When the varnish/finish is applied it often darkens slightly again. Different brands of varnish often result in a different colour as well.
I used some clear matt varnish of one brand on a teak veneered cabinet some years ago and was pleased with the result as it didn't change the colour so I built another from the same timber source but could not get the same varnish. The alternative brand of varnish made the veneer considerably darker even though it was labeled clear matt. Think it's worth doing a test before you varnish the whole cabinet.
Old 26th Apr 2017, 12:45 pm   #29
Freya
Octode

getting the gloss varnish to be mirror flat is an art and needs the right temperature and buildup of layers, flatting back between layers. Having a boat with too much woodwork gives me an insight to the work needed.

Last edited by Freya; 26th Apr 2017 at 12:57 pm.
Old 27th Apr 2017, 7:12 am   #30
Ryan_1993
Hexode

morning all,

The varnish remover has worked really well and I will be buying some light oak stain to cover the TV before Yacht varnishing.

Question: I don't suppose anyone has a spare front bakelite facia panel do they? If so how much would it be to buy? Mine is badly cracked on the corner and I don't think there is much I can do with it.

Something which looks like attached picture.

Also are the left and right sides of the TV meant to be the same colour as the dark stripe of veneer which runs across the top and down the front? It's difficult to tell after removing the varnish. Before removing the varnish everything was just yellowed and sun bleached with age so that wasn't much help either. Pictures online don't show a shot of the TV from the side either.

Ryan
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tv24_671020.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	141590  

Last edited by Ryan_1993; 27th Apr 2017 at 7:19 am.
Old 27th Apr 2017, 9:11 am   #31
Panrock
Nonode

A TV24 was stripped down and the chassis used as the basis for THIS project. Some of the info here might be useful?

Steve
Old 27th Apr 2017, 10:09 am   #32
Ryan_1993
Hexode

I still cannot believe how tatty the cabinet was and how it looks now.

I actually think there are three wood veneers in this as the sides certainly don't match the colour/tone/grain of the areas which I have masking taped off. They are going to be oiled in a light oak instead. The darker areas have been done in Walnut wood dye.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Photo 23-04-2017, 7 24 32 pm.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	141593   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo 23-04-2017, 7 31 08 pm.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	141594   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3442.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	141595  
Old 27th Apr 2017, 7:31 pm   #33
Oliver35
Pentode

I think Nitromors was the right choice, although I did sand my Ferguson. If you want the high gloss that the original had, use spray cellulose (guitar finishers call it nitrocellulose) lacquer. I find it a relatively easy way to get a good gloss- build up plenty of thin layers, let it harden between layers (subsequent coats do soften the previous ones, so take care there). This gives a good finish as is, but for the glass-like shine, flat it back with very fine wet-and-dry and water, get an even matt finish all over, then buff back to a shine with T-cut followed by Brasso, you'll be amazed. Best way is to use a spray gun and compressor, but to be honest I buy cheap aerosols. My local hardware shop used to stock a cheap aerosol called Canbrush, which turned out to be cellulose- I bought loads of clear, although I've now only got one left. The nozzles aren't great, but with care you can get a great finish. I can't get Canbrush locally anymore, but it is still made, and still reasonably cheap.

Oliver
Old 28th Apr 2017, 6:24 am   #34
Freya
Octode

It would also be advisable at this stage to give it some woodworm preventative treatment, would be a waste if it were to be attacked after all your hard work.
Always paint the softwood interior surfaces, leave a good week to soak in and dry before trying to apply an external finish.
Old 28th Apr 2017, 11:02 pm   #35
Ryan_1993
Hexode

This is what it looks like after two coats of walnut dye and one coat of English Oak. In love with it so far. Once varnished I think it will look even better.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5439.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	141702  
Closed Thread