UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Feb 2020, 12:54 pm   #1
Michael Maurice

Default Jvc hrj205

This machine is driving me round the bend.

When you switch on, the machine tries goes into eject mode even then there's no tape to eject.

It looks like the rec lock switch is used to detect when the machine is in the eject mode.

I've taken the mech apart and cleaned the mode switch.

It behaves normally if you remove the carriage and depress the cassette in switch.

I am really stuck so any help would be much appreciated. I'm repairing this on behalf of a good friend's dad.

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Old 9th Feb 2020, 10:56 pm   #2
Red to black
Nonode

Default Re: Jvc hrj205

These machines suffered from EOT sensor problems as I am sure you well know, worth a look at this aspect.
Old 10th Feb 2020, 12:07 am   #3
McMurdo
Dekatron

usual warnng about bench lighting triggering sensors!!
Old 11th Feb 2020, 4:29 pm   #4
Michael Maurice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red to black View Post
These machines suffered from EOT sensor problems as I am sure you well know, worth a look at this aspect.

I forgot all about the EOT sensors. Found end one dry jointed, resoldered and all is now ok.

Does anyone know of a brain surgeon, my memory needs updating!

Old 13th Feb 2020, 12:49 pm   #5
ben
Dekatron

Good on you for getting it going.
I have found this line of JVCs the worst ever. I have also had end sense problems and the mode switch is a constant source of trouble, giving rise to things like erratic /incomplete threading, eject problems, jamming in certain modes, tape chewing...you name it. The deck they used in the slightly earlier range (can`t recall the reference off hand) was far superior IMO.
Old 16th Feb 2020, 11:38 pm   #6
Michael Maurice

I cleaned the mode switch which on these decks is no mean feat as you have to remove the main cam, the pinch arm side plate and a few other bits, then re-align afterwards.

It seems that each new deck by any manufacturer is inferior to the one that preceded it.

Old 17th Feb 2020, 2:35 pm   #7
Maarten
Dekatron

Did the later JVC decks get better? Having seen this one, I always stayed away from them.
Old 17th Feb 2020, 9:58 pm   #8
Red to black
Nonode

No! the next one was even worse IMO!
It wasn't as fiddly/fussy as the deck mentioned in the OP (it was quite a bit simpler), but had small plastic bits that held springs for the eject gear etc...etc. that snapped at random, often it was a game of guessing which plastic lug had snapped off, as more often than not it was not immediately obvious.

Even worse some critical spindles for crucial gears were not fixed to the main deck plate metal to metal as it were, but instead set into plastic inserts which predictably failed requiring a whole new deck plate, which necessitated swapping every bit from the old deck to the new! ie. a full strip and rebuild (jigsaw puzzle) including every spacer and washer and spring, with a full adjustment and set up to boot!.

JVC would only supply the bare deck plate as a replacement part, this was a fairly expensive item on its own, needless to say many were scrapped due to this.

Last edited by Red to black; 17th Feb 2020 at 10:09 pm. Reason: additional info.
Closed Thread