UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 16th Feb 2019, 11:51 am   #1
llama
Octode

Default microUSB repair

My first experience with anything like surface-mount technology.

The microUSB charger input for my grand-son's BeeWi blue-tooth amplifier had come completely adrift. I found that only 3 PCB traces went anywhere - 2 at one side and 1 at the other. The little lugs at the sides of the microUSB socket had both snapped off so I needed to solder-suck those remains from the PCB.

I scraped the top of the socket and soldered a piece of tinned copper wire to the top, then bent the ends round underneath so they were able to go through the original lug PCB holes. Having soldered those in place I found that all I had to do for the microUSB pins was to heat (& therefore reflow) the relevant connections using my not-very-small Antex.

Happy to report this all works fine now and the lad is delighted.

This might be relevant for other microUSB devices such as phones, RaspberryPi etc.

Graham
Old 16th Feb 2019, 12:27 pm   #2
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Default Re: microUSB repair

Nice repair, lucky there was enough room to fit the wire. Did you know that the sockets are available, https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...ement&_sacat=0 whether or not they will fit is another question.

John.
Old 16th Feb 2019, 12:46 pm   #3
llama
Octode

Default Re: microUSB repair

Thanks John. No I didn't know they're available - and just pennies too. I may get a few in stock as a way of powering 5v stuff. A quick look at the ebay ones seems to show they have shorter leads out the back than the one in the BeeWi but I haven't looked far.
Thanks for the link.
Graham