UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 25th May 2019, 5:14 pm   #1
ehahken
Retired Dormant Member

Post How.do I attach old long reach cable head to modern phono cable?

As you can see in these images

https://drive.google.com/folderview?...WhZA6ZEjy7GRT3

I have acquired and old long reach phono cable head and I wish to solder or attach it to this normal phono cable.
I assumed I would open up the long reach head and just solder on a cable however I have been presented with a white and green cable once stripping the wire.

I cannot find any advice online about how I am supposed to solder an old long reach and this together? All videos online are only featuring the modern connections which I can see are different. Can anyone at all help me?

Do I even need to solder the green cable? Is that an earth wire?

Thank you for your advice.

Last edited by ehahken; 25th May 2019 at 5:37 pm.
Old 25th May 2019, 5:20 pm   #2
AC/HL
Dekatron

Default Re: How.do I attach old long reach cable head to modern phono cable?

I'm afraid we can't see, please repost the link.
Old 25th May 2019, 5:29 pm   #3
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

What's a "long reach phono head" - do you mean a long length phono cable with a non-phono (RCA type) plug fitted to it which may be a DIN plug?
Old 25th May 2019, 5:38 pm   #4
paulsherwin

This is the image.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2s8p9oz.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	183841  
Old 25th May 2019, 5:39 pm   #5
ehahken
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC/HL View Post
I'm afraid we can't see, please repost the link.
Hey, thanks for pointing that out.

I have updated the link with a Google drive link instead and included more detailed images.

Here is the link again just for clarity

https://drive.google.com/folderview?...WhZA6ZEjy7GRT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Huggins View Post
What's a "long reach phono head" - do you mean a long length phono cable with a non-phono (RCA type) plug fitted to it which may be a DIN plug?
A long reach phono cable is almost the same as a modern one but the pin is much longer and on old systems from the 60s it would allow you to hit a switch turning a system from mono to stereo. Essentially splitting the channels. It's almost identical except the length and how the wires are connected.
Old 25th May 2019, 6:33 pm   #6
Simon Gittins
Heptode

The wires without insulation go to the outer part of the plug.

The wire that goes to the inner connector will be one of the other two, ideally a continuity check with a meter would show which is connected. Another way to check (if you don't have a meter) would be to plug the other end into the input of an amplifier and see which wire gives a buzz when you touch it.
Old 25th May 2019, 6:37 pm   #7
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehahken View Post
I cannot find any advice online about how I am supposed to solder an old long reach and this together? All videos online are only featuring the modern connections which I can see are different. Can anyone at all help me?

Do I even need to solder the green cable? Is that an earth wire?

Thank you for your advice.
What I am seeing in your image is a coaxial cable with green insulation on the inner wire, along with a phono plug. The conductor within the green sheath should be soldered to the pin of the plug - you may need to strip back more of the outer sheath so that this wire will reach down the inside of the pin with the wire poking through the end of the pin to solder at that point. This is the signal wire. The braiding is then soldered to the rim of the plug to form the return, or "earth" as you put it.

I hope that answers your question.

edit: Simon posted while I was composing this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Gittins View Post
The wire that goes to the inner connector will be one of the other two.
I hadn't spotted that there is a second (white) wire. Yes, you'll need to check which one (if they're not connected together) is connected to the pin at the other end. If both are connected, you only need to use one.

Last edited by Dave Moll; 25th May 2019 at 6:43 pm. Reason: addition in response to Simon's post
Old 25th May 2019, 6:54 pm   #8
ehahken
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:

edit: Simon posted while I was composing this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Gittins View Post
The wire that goes to the inner connector will be one of the other two.
I hadn't spotted that there is a second (white) wire. Yes, you'll need to check which one (if they're not connected together) is connected to the pin at the other end. If both are connected, you only need to use one.
I think I understand what to do now. After both your advice and finding a good video online showing technique.

When I plug the cable in to my monitors and tap the wires, both of them buzz. However, The green one only a little when I connect my finger with it while the white one does a louder heavier consistent buzz. So do I push the white one down through the pin or the green.

Also when you say outer casing do you mean just attach the other wire generally anywhere near the bottom of the socket?

Also there is only one white wire. The copper wire you can see is the white wire... I had just cut it too short prior to taking the photo.

Thanks again. I'm almost ready to jump in.

Last edited by ehahken; 25th May 2019 at 7:04 pm.
Old 25th May 2019, 8:42 pm   #9
Dave Moll
Dekatron

It sounds as though the white one is the one to use. The slight hum from the green one is probably being picked up indirectly from the white one, so it can be left unconnected. You will then need to solder to the end of the pin where the wire emerges through the hole.

And yes, the wire without its own insulation (the braid) needs to be soldered to the outer (circular) contact of the plug, in a position where it doesn't foul the plastic pieces when you re-assemble the cover of the plug. Close to the cable entry is probably the best position.
Old 25th May 2019, 9:00 pm   #10
ehahken
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Moll View Post
It sounds as though the white one is the one to use. The slight hum from the green one is probably being picked up indirectly from the white one, so it can be left unconnected. You will then need to solder to the end of the pin where the wire emerges through the hole.

And yes, the wire without its own insulation (the braid) needs to be soldered to the outer (circular) contact of the plug, in a position where it doesn't foul the plastic pieces when you re-assemble the cover of the plug. Close to the cable entry is probably the best position.

Thank you very much. I'm going to give it a go after my dinner.
Old 26th May 2019, 9:35 am   #11
ehahken
Retired Dormant Member

Hi mate. Sorry one last question just to clarify as I only have one of these and need to get it right.

But when you say

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Moll View Post

By outer (circular) contact do you mean the lowest metal thing in my image or do you mean the left hand side of the second lowest metal bit in my image.

Thanks again
Old 26th May 2019, 9:45 am   #12
Station X

The latter.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 26th May 2019, 10:01 am   #13
Radio Wrangler

Looking at the centre picture of the group you linked to in your first post, there is a long-pin type phono plug, pin uppermost with its covers removed.

this is designed to fit onto coaxial (screened) cable.

The cable has an inner conductor surrounded by plastic insulation. Outside this insulation there is a tube of braided thin wires - this is the earth connection, and outside the whole lot is another covering of insulation.

The inner conductor with some of its insulation is fed straight up the centre of the plug, from the very bottom of your photo until the bit of bare centre conductor peeps out of the hole at the end of the pin. You solder it here, right at the end of the pin. Be sure to get it hot enough to get a nice shiny solder joint let it cool carefully without moving it (movement before the solder sets makes an unreliable joint) then snip off the excess inner conductor sticking out beyond the solder. Don't linger too long with the heat on it, or it melts the plastic insulation inside the pin.

The braid is now fitted over the lowest cylindrical part of the plug.... the section BELOW the one with the hole in the side. The braid is now soldered onto the lowest cylinder. Again, don't cook it too long or else the cylinder can melt the insulation on the inner conductor and cause a short circuit right inside where you can't see it. Before soldering, trim the braid to the right length to just cover its cylinder.

Soldering done.

The two halves of the cover fit onto the sides of the cylinder with the side holes. Each half-cover has a little peg whuch plugs into a side-hole. The sprung sleeve then slides over from the top and clamps the half covers in place

job done.

Before you begin, now you know there the sections of the cable wind up, you can size it up alongside the plug to see the lengths you need to cut the different layers back to.

All told, with the ability to melt the insulation, these are crappy connectors designed entirely for cheapness. But carefully assembled, they are reliable.

David
Old 26th May 2019, 10:05 am   #14
Station X

One thing I've found is that some of these plugs don't like "taking" solder. I've sometimes had to file away the shiny plating to expose the brass beneath in order to make a good joint.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 26th May 2019, 11:19 am   #15
Radio Wrangler

Yes, that's cheapie nickel plating. It really needs an acid flux to solder it, but if that isn't entirely cleaned off, it goes on to corrode things. Filing is my preference.

Certainly tinning the place the braid is to solder to before starting assembly is a good precaution. If necessary, file this surface and the tip of the pin.

Cheap connectors are just plain cheap in every way they can find to cheapen them. The nickel plating problem also applies to many PL259 RF plugs as well.

David
Old 26th May 2019, 12:14 pm   #16
ehahken
Retired Dormant Member

Hey guys.

Thanks very much for all your help. I got it done and it works.

I have almost managed to complete the project I have been working on and it's all thanks to you guys. I have another question about another part but its a bit unrelated so I'll create a new thread later today about that. Thanks again guys.

Last edited by ehahken; 26th May 2019 at 12:23 pm.
Closed Thread