UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Old 15th Jul 2019, 5:21 pm   #1
M3VUV51
Pentode

Default Huntron HTR1005B-IES tracker.

hi all,bit of a tale here,i was doing a job on a car ecu for a garage using the above mentioned ,its model htr1005b-IES,i left it there ,when i went to fetch it it had vanished,it turned up a year later having been put in a damp lock up consecently the mains tranfo is oc on the primary windings,it has 6 wires comming from the front and 6 from the rear,would anyone know what voltages these would be or how to possibly get the transformer apart,it not welded as far as i can see,i assume the laminations are glued,i cant seem to find any schematics for ir unfortuanatly,i bbrought it second hand in the mid 80's,if i can get the info i can possibly build a new psu for it,any ideas,cheers Paul m3vuv.
M3VUV51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Jul 2019, 5:44 pm   #2
buggies
Hexode

Default Re: Huntron tracker.

What is the model number?
Seems to be quite a few with that name.
Found a service manual on the web for a Tracker 2000 but the transformer has more wires than you listed.
Old 15th Jul 2019, 5:57 pm   #3
AC/HL

Operator manual: https://nscainc.com/wp-content/uploads/pdf/H_1005B.pdf
Old 15th Jul 2019, 6:16 pm   #4
Radio Wrangler
Dekatron

I wouldn't want to go flinging +/-20v around modern semiconductors.

If it's been in a damp lockup for that period, there may well be problems with the EHT circuits for the CRT.

David
Old 15th Jul 2019, 6:35 pm   #5
buggies
Hexode

Ooops - sorry I missed the 1005 bit.
Old 15th Jul 2019, 9:50 pm   #6
M3VUV51
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC/HL View Post
that is a dead link 44 error page not found,thanks anyway.
Old 15th Jul 2019, 11:48 pm   #7
M3VUV51
Pentode

Default Re: Huntron HTR1005B-IES tracker.

well i got the transformer laminations apart but doubt i can fix it as the wires are way thinner than a hair,bummer!, ended up boiling it in water and used a stanley blade to break the glue on the laminations.
Old 16th Jul 2019, 4:36 pm   #8
Chris55000
Heptode

Hi!

Second-hand prices for anything labelled "Huntron" have gone up into the stratosphere to unbelievable degrees!

Service Manual:-

https://elektrotanya.com/huntron_htr.../download.html

The mains-transformers (two of them!), provide 6.3V @ 0.6A insulated to 3kV for the CRT heater, plus 15V @ 1A for the 12V line, regulated by Q8 for T2, whilst the other (T1) has a single multi-tap secondary, for the test voltage.

The CRT HT & EHT supply comes from a two-transistor oscillator of the "Royer" coverter type, T3 being the oscillator transformer, providing +180V for the def. plate supply and -1400V for the CRT EHT electron-gun supply - hopefully T3 has survived!

If T3 has failed or is unreclaimable, I'll post plans for an alternative solution that's reasonably inexpensive, if necessary.

Unfortunately the Maintenance Manual is much more basic than the later models, but the following spec should be suitable for T1:

Com to R16/R18 tap:- 7.5V RMS at 300mA;
R16/R18 tap to R14 tap:- 15V RMS at 200mA;
R14 to R10/R12 tap: 20V RMS at 200mA;
"High" end of sec. to R10/R12 tap:- 20V RMS @ 200mA

Primaries:- 2 x 115V @ 20VA each for both T1 & T2.

Ed Dinning does a first-class job of making transformers, I'd have a word with him first!

Chris Williams

PS The later designs use a three frequency oscillator (50/60, 200/400 & 2kHz,) feeding an audio-type power stage feeding a single 100V PA type transformer, again with resistive secondary networks to tap off the exact voltage needed!

Last edited by Chris55000; 16th Jul 2019 at 4:50 pm.
Chris55000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jul 2019, 8:34 am   #9
Chris55000
Heptode

Hi!

I think I might have given details of the wrong Manual in my last post by mistake - there is also this one:-

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc..._9BfKKKABzVo7w

The link given in Post No. 3 for the Operator Manual is live again, so you can get both user & service documents here now!

Chris Williams