UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Jul 2019, 11:39 am   #1
Uncle Bulgaria
Nonode

Default Uher CR 240 BD241 collector grounding confusion

Dear all,

I have been working through this recorder on and off for some time. Not understanding transistors does not help, but methodically working through the circuit diagram and dealing with dry joints has worked wonders.

I'm very confused by this PSU connection though. There is a large BD241 transistor, the collector of which is electrically connected to the heatsink. There is an area on the chassis that is free from paint, and corresponds to the BD241 mounting. As you can see from the crop of the circuit diagram, the collector is not grounded, and if it is just screwed down as the chassis connections suggest then the collector is earthed and everything stops.

Any thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Back of board 600.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	186163   Click image for larger version

Name:	BD241.PNG
Views:	132
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	186164   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190704_113739.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	186165  
Old 4th Jul 2019, 11:45 am   #2
vidjoman
Dekatron

Default Re: Uher CR 240 BD241 collector grounding confusion

It looks as though it's missing a flat mica washer. There is an isolating bush in the hole for the fixing screw so there should also be that washer. It's probably fallen off when the screw was undone.
Old 4th Jul 2019, 2:24 pm   #3
Skywave
Rest in Peace

In your first photo., I can just see an insulating washer in the mounting hole of that transistor. If its collector was intended to make a zero Ohms contact with the heat-sink, that washer would not have been necessary. Hence, a mica washer is missing - which was there once.

Al.
Old 4th Jul 2019, 2:24 pm   #4
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Agreed. It shouldn't be electrically connected to the heatsink, just thermally. The missing washer will either be mica or that thin grey insulating material. Could be stuck to something with grease? If not you're bound to find one on a piece of scrap equipment; one with transistors in, of course....
Old 4th Jul 2019, 7:45 pm   #5
Uncle Bulgaria
Nonode

Thanks all, that clears it up. I was concerned I'd got the circuit entirely back to front as it wasn't working when put back together! I own I also was confused by the insulating washer on the transistor as I couldn't see why they'd bothered!

What it is to have some knowledge. I didn't know these washers were available, and that it was possible to have some thermal contact without electrical contact - presumably that bare metal area is for heat transfer.

There was no washer that I've found, though the deck came to me with a broken motherboard which I've repaired with jumpers, so that corner had had a serious whack at some point. Perhaps it got broken and lost then.
Old 4th Jul 2019, 11:36 pm   #6
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Arrow Re: Uher CR 240 BD241 collector grounding confusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bulgaria View Post
What it is to have some knowledge.
Quite: but as is the case with everything in Life, useful knowledge is nearly always acquired the hard way. Education is never free, but unlike a lot of things, once acquired, it can never be taken away.

But just to add one small - but relevant point - you may well come upon designs where the insulating hardware is deliberately omitted. There are two legitimate cases for that:
1. The cct. design is such that the collector is required to be at 0v.
2. The entire heat-sink is insulated from the chassis / 0v.

Al.
Old 9th Jul 2019, 7:07 pm   #7
Uncle Bulgaria
Nonode

Thanks Skywave. It's a real education having decent fora with people willing to share their knowledge. As I imagine I'm on the young side of members here, with no employment or background in electronics there's always an auto-didactic curve with many a dead end.

However, everything gets stored away and I'm equally chuffed with each project that gets a little closer to completion, or that I can look at and diagnose without help as it shows something's going in.

Learning on audio equipment is particularly good as the high-end of yesteryear is cheap, the parts are large enough to see and if it works then good music is the result!

I've got some insulating washers on order (how do RS make money when I can buy a 38p capacitor which arrives overnight and is packaged in a jiffy bag and paper? Instead of buying any packing material, I just do an RS order and repurpose the bag!) and am fettling the contact area on the new switch to work. I misinterpreted how long the switching action was, so I think the contacts are overlarge and are shorting the wrong terminals.
Closed Thread