UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Oct 2009, 12:07 pm   #1
paulsherwin

Default Removing old Sellotape deposits from plastic surfaces

I've recently turned my attention to the Sony ISC-5900W I acquired in a sorry state from Freecycle a year ago.

The plastic around the securing bolts has sheared off, and the back has been held in place by a mixture of clear Sellotape and brown sticky packing tape. This has obviously been in place for many years, and the adhesive has hardened into a disgusting mess. I have managed to clean off some of the deposits, but the really hard gunge is proving impossible to shift.

I've tried white spirit, lighter fluid and meths. The gunge may have bonded to the plastic in some way, and I obviously don't want to damage the plastic further. Does anybody have any suggestions?

I'm not hopeful about this, and the objective is to return the radio to everyday use rather than achieve a high quality cosmetic restoration, but I'd like to do the best job I can within reason. It's a pity the radio has been so badly abused in the past, as it works well electrically despite all the mechanical damage.

Paul
Old 27th Oct 2009, 12:20 pm   #2
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: Removing old Sellotape deposits from plastic surfaces

Maybe heat with a hairdryer to soften, then try the solvents again. And what about WD40?

Good luck,

Nick.
Old 27th Oct 2009, 12:21 pm   #3
brunel
Heptode

Try something a bit more abrasive, one of the supermarket cream cleaners, the "chalk" type.
Old 27th Oct 2009, 12:23 pm   #4
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Lighter fluid always seems to work for me so I guess you're right about some kind of chemical reaction. Perhaps soak it in lighter fluid for a while if it's really hard and crusty. Shouldn't damage the plastic.

Otherwise you're down to mechanical methods such as T-cut or even light sanding followed by polishing.
Old 27th Oct 2009, 12:23 pm   #5
YT2095UK
Retired Dormant Member

try scraping it off with an old credit card or the like, it sometimes works
Old 27th Oct 2009, 12:30 pm   #6
Dynamo
Triode

Maybe worth trying metal polish, I've found Brasso wadding to be very good at removing the residue from sticky labels, so I guess it would work on sellotape gum as well.

PS I like the look of those radios, I shall have to try and find one.
Old 27th Oct 2009, 12:40 pm   #7
jim_jobe
Heptode

I use Zylol/Zylene for stubborn cases,
Jim
Old 27th Oct 2009, 12:41 pm   #8
geofy
Retired Dormant Member

Post Re: Removing old Sellotape deposits from plastic surfaces

There is a label removal spray available from places like CPC, RS and so on, care needed to make sure it doesn't go on certain plastics and legends. But it does work, I have used it.

And like Nick suggests, try WD40 as well.

Geof
Old 27th Oct 2009, 12:44 pm   #9
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

I too use Servisol label remover or petrol (Lighter fuel). As Geof says, be careful with the former though. I used some only the other day to shift a stubborn label from a video cassette - which melted.
Old 27th Oct 2009, 12:49 pm   #10
Geoff 555
Heptode

Hi sorry I don't know the name of it, which is not a lot of help I know, but the fluid that is used to remove elastoplast type plasters seem to de solve quite a few adhesive left overs.
Cheers.
Geoff.
Old 27th Oct 2009, 12:53 pm   #11
newlite4
Octode

Try using one of the citrus based label removers, these contain Limonene (extracted from orange peel as a by-product) and are very effective. We use the Ambersil label remover spray at work, it is obtainable from Maplins on-line. Alternatively, Servisol label remover is available in Maplin stores.
Neil
Old 27th Oct 2009, 1:19 pm   #12
YT2095UK
Retired Dormant Member

also it may be worth mentioning that all solvents so far are non polar types, try a Polar solvent instead, window cleaner may work.
Old 27th Oct 2009, 1:25 pm   #13
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Good point, Geoff and Neil. We use "orange solvent" at work for removing set cement from instruments before sterilisation. Let me know if you want a little bit to try.

Nick.
Old 27th Oct 2009, 2:00 pm   #14
VideoJunkyard
Retired Dormant Member

I have had success using 'Natural Blue' cleaner (not sure if this is still available or not.......) otherwise WD40, Toluene or Chloroform work remarkably well for sticky tape or label deposits. Although Servisol label remover is good, i would avoid it for that sort of plastic, particularly if any got onto the transparent plastic dial 'glass' - i assure you the results are not pretty!
Old 27th Oct 2009, 2:09 pm   #15
paulsherwin

Thanks for all suggestions so far.

I should make clear that the problem deposits aren't sticky or tacky in any way - white spirit removed sticky deposits without problems as I'd expect. These are very hard and impossible to remove with, say, a fingernail, and leaving them wetted with white spirit for 10 minutes didn't seem to soften them at all.

I'll try WD40, though I'm doubtful that this will be more effective than white spirit as that is WD40's main cleansing component. I'll also try some T-Cut though this can't be used in all locations because of printed text on the plastic.

Paul
Old 27th Oct 2009, 3:27 pm   #16
paulsherwin

WD40 didn't do much, as I suspected would be the case.

T-Cut did improve things a lot - it got some of the gunge off, and polished the surface of what remains thus making it less noticeable. Hard work though

There does seem to have been some sort of reaction between the adhesive and the plastic. I don't know the history of the radio, but being a high performance SW set it may have spent long periods in exotic locations with lots of heat, sunlight and humidity. It's certainly led a hard life.

Paul
Old 27th Oct 2009, 3:27 pm   #17
Dave Moll
Dekatron

These sound very similar to the "crystallised" deposits left by masking tape with which I was recently faced. In the end I only succeeded by mixing a good deal of "elbow grease" with (if remember correctly) WD40.
Old 27th Oct 2009, 6:36 pm   #18
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

Hi,
definately try some of the citrus based glue remover, I have some somewhere, its from Lakeland, and is called 'sticky stuff remover'. as a kid I had some old road works lights, and I stuck one to the window above my bedroom door with that nasty brown tape!! about 12 years later the remains of the tape had gone hard, so I used this stuff on it, and it came off! took a bit of doing, but it worked. used it on all kinds of things since then and its always shifted stuff.

regards,
Lloyd.
Old 27th Oct 2009, 8:47 pm   #19
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff 555 View Post
...sorry I don't know the name of it, which is not a lot of help I know, but the fluid that is used to remove elastoplast type plasters seem to de solve quite a few adhesive left overs...
It was called 'Zoff' when I was a lad, but I'm not sure if you can still get it in liquid form - the Health and Safety police have probably had it banned due to its volatile solvent content - and I recall it was very effective and smelled nice too, two further reasons to have it banned. However a quick Google search http://www.allsportmedical.co.uk/Pro...e-Remover.aspx shows that it is still available in the form of impregnated wipes.

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Old 27th Oct 2009, 9:31 pm   #20
Ken
Hexode

Hi Paul

If, as you say, a chemical reaction has taken place I think it is unlikely that a solvent will work too well. The polarity of the solvent was mentioned in a previous post. If this material would dissolve in a polar solvent then it would probably dissolve in water. I expect you have tried water without success. I suspect that the original gum used on this tape would have dissolved in IPA. If some of the gum remains unreacted you might be able to remove it with IPA and this in turn might help to loosen the deposits formed by any reaction that has taken place. The modern name for IPA is propan-2-ol. I think it might now be sold under this name.

Good luck,

Ken
Closed Thread