UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 7th Nov 2010, 5:34 pm   #21
twocvbloke
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Music-on-Hold...

Well, got one of the M3820 phones in the bag, got another one to go, then it's the connection box and the CCU, and I've found some ATAs for sale elsewhere too, got a few in my watch list, but have to see what money I have to play with on wednesday before I buy...
Old 7th Nov 2010, 10:52 pm   #22
twocvbloke
Retired Dormant Member

Ooooooookay, after trying to find a bit more info about that BT/Norstar/Nortel Meridian Compact system, I found a thread on some gaming forum or something (how it was related to there, I don't know!!!), and the M3xxx series doesn't work on the Compact system, oh well, at least I got the bid for just £1.99, so not a big loss...

I'll get the 7k series instead, if there's ones with enough buttons that is...
Old 8th Nov 2010, 2:56 pm   #23
twocvbloke
Retired Dormant Member

Well, I won the CCU and connection box, just awaiting an auction for a correct phone now...

So, where do you plug in a music device for MOH on a Merician Compact system?
Old 8th Nov 2010, 5:08 pm   #24
AndiiT
Octode

Hi,
I believe that there are two 3.5mm jack sockets on the top right hand side of the Norstar compact CCU, one is for MOH and the other for a PA amplifier/speaker.

Andrew
Old 8th Nov 2010, 5:32 pm   #25
twocvbloke
Retired Dormant Member

Sounds easy enough, a visit to the Pound shop for a 3.5-3.5mm cable and to dig out my Sony CD walkman, and of course record some cheesy music onto a CD-R...

I'm just impressed at what I've got for the price, the phone (which I can't use unfortunately), the system unit and the connection box, all for just shy of £24, some people charge a load of money for the system alone...

I just hope it all works...
Old 9th Nov 2010, 5:44 pm   #26
twocvbloke
Retired Dormant Member

And an M7310N phone is in the bag, need to find another phone to make it a bit more useful, I suppose a more plain M7100(N) would do, or even an M7000N if I can find one cheap enough, cos it looks like a regular phone with only a couple of extra buttons...

I'm just curious as to what the difference between the 3000 and 7000 series, aside from a few visible differences, I don't get why they two aren't compatible or interchangeable, but I guess at the end of the day, they did it to make sure you had to buy the right equipment from them, rather than getting something "compatible"...
Old 9th Nov 2010, 7:09 pm   #27
AndiiT
Octode

The difference between the two phones will probably relate to differences on the data bus altering the way that the processor in the phone and PBX "talk" to each other.
As the terminals are digital, software on the instrument and the PBX will also contribute to compatibility issues.

There is sometimes cross - compatibility with instruments made by the same manufacturer to allow for easy upgrades, but there were a few different versions of the Nortstar around, as I am sure you are aware.

If you are brave enough and have at least one extension port available for "sacrificial" purposes, you could try wiring your 3820 to the PBX, worst case scenario is that the extension port that you are using will throw a wobbler and become unusable, more likely is that the two items just wont communicate with one another or the phone will display gobbledegook.

If you do try the above choose either the highest numbered (16 I think) or one of the higher numbered ports.

Andrew
Old 9th Nov 2010, 7:42 pm   #28
twocvbloke
Retired Dormant Member

I was thinking of trying out the M3820 anyway, just for fun, but now I know, I'll use the highest-number extension, just incase I blow something up...

At least with this PBX, it only uses Secondary LJUs (according to BritishTelephones), unlike the Revelation I had that needed LJU x/1A or x/2A, cos I have 2 spare LJU 2/3As, and plenty of 2-Pair wire...

Actually, while I'm on the subject of wiring, is it okay to use Cat5 cable to wire in 4 extensions? I've often heard that it's safe to use, then told it's not safe to use, and vice versa ad nauseum, thought I'd ask where people should know for sure...
Old 9th Nov 2010, 8:49 pm   #29
AndiiT
Octode

I think that CAT5 should be OK to use for the purpose that you are putting it too, the advice against using it for purely Telecomms work may be one of cost or possibly, but unlikely, noise immunity.
I think that CAT5 cores may be a little thicker than standard multi-pair cable used for telephone wiring so may not be as kind to the IDC connectors, which in practical use may cause intermittent connections.

Don't forget,as mentioned previously in this thread, that the Norstar only requires data pairs to terminals 4 and 5 on the line jacks; Conventional wiring practice in a working environment would require the jacks to be fully wired with either 2 (4 cores) or 3 (6 cores) pair cable for built in redundancy in the event of a pair failure, not to mention the mains failure master jacks to meet installation approval!

Andrew
Old 9th Nov 2010, 9:12 pm   #30
twocvbloke
Retired Dormant Member

BritishTelephones says the wiring is to terminals 3 and 4 on the Compact system, Blue/White to 3, White/Blue to 4, obviously I know nothing about these, so have no idea as to the wiring of such a system...

As for it being used in a working state (as in, connected to the phoneline), that won't happen, it'll all be isolated, unless I buy myself a Premicell or something in the future and use it over GSM (using my existing SIM cards), so no need to worry about redundancy and whatnot...

I can't wait to start tinkering though...
Old 9th Nov 2010, 11:15 pm   #31
AndiiT
Octode

Blue/White and White/Blue are conventionally the "first pair" in any telephone related wiring, in reality the colours don't matter as long as you ensure that polarity is maintained between the MDF on the PBX (or whatever) and the termination point, in your case the line jacks.

Some more information about wiring colours and standards can be found here

Andrew
Old 9th Nov 2010, 11:19 pm   #32
DAVEHALL
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twocvbloke View Post
Sounds easy enough, a visit to the Pound shop for a 3.5-3.5mm cable and to dig out my Sony CD walkman, and of course record some cheesy music onto a CD-R...

I'm just impressed at what I've got for the price, the phone (which I can't use unfortunately), the system unit and the connection box, all for just shy of £24, some people charge a load of money for the system alone...

I just hope it all works...
Check out the socket on the MOH input . Don't know about the BT stuff, but Panasonic uses the same system and the input is MONO .We used to make up a simple stereo-mono lead ( use a standard stereo plug /lead for one end, connect the centres to the tip and earths to ring.
Old 9th Nov 2010, 11:22 pm   #33
DAVEHALL
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
BritishTelephones says the wiring is to terminals 3 and 4 on the Compact system, Blue/White to 3, White/Blue to 4, obviously I know nothing about these, so have no idea as to the wiring of such a system...
Only systemI ever found that the polarity of any pair ( data /analogue ) on either digital or hybrid systems ,mattered was the old Panasonic A series ,and only when the original A series phones( system) were used
Old 10th Nov 2010, 12:31 am   #34
twocvbloke
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndiiT View Post
Blue/White and White/Blue are conventionally the "first pair" in any telephone related wiring, in reality the colours don't matter as long as you ensure that polarity is maintained between the MDF on the PBX (or whatever) and the termination point, in your case the line jacks.

Some more information about wiring colours and standards can be found here

Andrew
Yeah, I was planning to use the 4 different colours in the Cat5 cables I have to distinguish between extensions, Blue=1, Orange=2, Green=3, Brown=4, or something to that effect, if I had enough phones, I'd change the colour of the cat5 cable to distinguish between 1-4, 5-8, etc....

I'm just not sure of which LJU terminals it uses, cos I have two different sets of terminals I've read now...
Old 10th Nov 2010, 12:48 am   #35
twocvbloke
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVEHALL View Post
Check out the socket on the MOH input . Don't know about the BT stuff, but Panasonic uses the same system and the input is MONO .We used to make up a simple stereo-mono lead ( use a standard stereo plug /lead for one end, connect the centres to the tip and earths to ring.
I'd guess the BT/Nortel system also uses a Mono-input, no point being stereo if it'll be piped down a mono phoneline...

Actually, that's reminded me, best put it on a list for tomorrow, a Mono plug from Maplin...
Old 10th Nov 2010, 3:16 am   #36
twocvbloke
Retired Dormant Member

Paid for it all, I'm still surprised at how little I'm getting it all for, looking at other systems for sale on ebay, they do usually ask about £250 plus for a system with a few phones, used, refurbed, whatever, like I said before, I just hope it all works...

And I'm not going to maplin tomorrow though, not enough money it seems...

I think I'll go to bed now...
Old 10th Nov 2010, 11:58 am   #37
arjoll
Dekatron

Quote:
That's intriguing, cos the 308 I used had extension no's of 20 thru. 27, so line 18 didn't exist on that system...
It'll be a country specific thing - ours is 11 to 18!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndiiT View Post
Speaking of industry standards, '9' is commonly used to access an exchange line
Virtually every PBX in this part of the world except Panasonic uses '1' for an outside line - probably inherited from our rotary dials being the other way round from yours. Older systems (like the classic Telecom/Mitel Business System 80 we used to have at E&Y) often used 800 or 8000 for extensions, possibly also 700 and 7000, but I notice that quite a few use 200 now.
Old 10th Nov 2010, 7:10 pm   #38
twocvbloke
Retired Dormant Member

Definitely must be a country thing then, local preferences or something...

Well, the pound shop did not have the 3.5-3.5mm lead I wanted (the last one I had, I butchered for use in one of my pairs of headphones), got my CD player to hand though (thought it was a Sony, but it's a Philips!!), just need to make MP3s of my MIDIs, burn them off as an MP3-CD (the CD Player supports that), and get the system up and running and ready for tinkering...

I keep thinking of getting a headset too, but that'd just bring back reminders of annoying clients and having to do a job I was never trained for, and Microsoft Word's famous "Normal.dot" fault...

Still, I just like things to tinker with, I'll probably have it all in bits within an hour of receipt, I'm good like that, it's the putting it back together that'll be the fun job...
Old 11th Nov 2010, 2:30 pm   #39
twocvbloke
Retired Dormant Member

Well, got the M7310N phone today, looks okay, just can't test it yet...

Just a shame the system hasn't arrived yet, I want to play...
Old 11th Nov 2010, 7:23 pm   #40
twocvbloke
Retired Dormant Member

Any ideas if there are any installation instructions available on the web for the Meridian Compact (Model NT7B03AA-93)? I want to know how to install the thing and set it up properly, I just can't seem to find anything other than sales sites offering the system and installation...
Closed Thread