UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Forum Announcements and Comments

Notices

Forum Announcements and Comments Announcements about forum changes will be made in this section. All new threads here now require moderator approval.

Closed Thread

Old 31st Dec 2012, 5:36 pm   #1
Ian - G4JQT
Octode

Default Editorial corrections

I know there have been some long (and heated) discussions regarding grammar and spelling on this forum. However, may I make a suggestion to the moderators when making corrections?

The usual format to any editorial additions to original text is to place them in square brackets [thus]. It just makes it clear to readers what the author put in brackets and what has been added.

Text in square brackets is widely understood to mean that the contents within these brackets was not written by the original author but added by an editor (or moderator in this case).

I've seen this sort of correction:

your (you're)

when

your [you're]

would be the correct and less ambiguous form.

I'm sure being a moderator is a thankless task, but I hope you find my suggestion helpful.

Regards,

Ian

Last edited by Ian - G4JQT; 31st Dec 2012 at 5:43 pm.
Old 31st Dec 2012, 8:46 pm   #2
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: Editorial corrections

I think that's a good idea, Ian, and follows editorial convention as you say.

Personally, I feel that correction is only really needed where the meaning is rendered unclear by the poster's errors. Although it's nice to think that people might improve their English as a result of reading the corrections, this rarely seems to happen in practice. But it's not my forum and I don't give up hours of my time being a Moderator, so it's none of my business really!

N.
Old 31st Dec 2012, 9:44 pm   #3
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Default Re: Editorial corrections

I have highlighted this for discussion in the mods area.
Closed Thread