UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 31st Oct 2012, 10:57 am   #1
sergiosad
Retired Dormant Member

Default Sony TC-K7BII removing flywheel

Hi all,
My old Sony won't work yesterday. I remove cover to take a look.
Capstan belt is in place and turns but Rewind and Forward don't.
I suspect the idler but it stands behind the flywheel and I don't know how to remove this one!
Anyone has an idea?
Do I have to pull?
I put a picture from the wheel.
Thank you for help
Bye bye
Serge from France!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TCK703.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	72003  
Old 31st Oct 2012, 11:43 pm   #2
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: Sony TC-K7BII removing flywheel

Hello Serge,

I don't know this deck, but... Have a look at the front, where the capstan is. Is there a circlip or split plastic ring that has to be removed to allow the flywheel/capstan to be slid backwards? Or sometimes theres just a push-on plastic "oil fence" to stop oil from the capstan bearing contaminating the part of the capstan which is in contact with the tape.

Nick.
Old 1st Nov 2012, 4:34 pm   #3
sp10mk11
Octode

Hello Serge
This transport uses a brass knurled shaft that is screwed to the capstan shaft to turn the take up up idler whilst it is in play mode.
YOu will need to take out the transport to gain access to the cut-out in the top bearing housing for the capstan shaft, once you have loosened the screw on the take up drive shaft the capstan shaft will come out easily leaving the take up drive shaft in the housing it is a little fiddley to get back and set at the correct height but it is not impossible.
On a side note, this is the proper way to do this job rather than Sharp who relied on a rubber shaft mounted on the capstan shaft which as a lot of people know decomposes over the years leaving a black gooey mess to clean up before you can sort out replacing it.
Gary
Old 1st Nov 2012, 5:40 pm   #4
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

I think you've saved the day there, Gary.

Sharp weren't the only ones who did it the cheap way, I had an Aiwa which was the same.

Nick.
Closed Thread