UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Nov 2007, 8:30 pm   #1
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Default Identification of unusual feeder unit.

Last Sunday I pulled this rather odd radio feeder unit from the jaws of death at the rubbish tip. At first I thought it was A.M.only but further investigation proved that it also covered the F.M. band. Its appearance is dated to say the least, more suited to 4v B7 based valves but I would guess that the set in its A.M. form dated from around 1950. The original design appeared to be A.M. only with an EF41 as an R.F. amp and using the third section of the tuning capacitor. This has never been soldered and a glance at the picure will show the empty position for the EF41 just under the F.M.head.
The F.M. section appears to be an afterthought but built into the chassis as original equipment. It is a Philips head with 10.7mc/s i.f. transformers and a Philips speaker. All other parts have no connection with Philips and the A.M. i.f. transfromers are manufactured by Weyrad.
It is very well constructed and after cleaning the waveband and selector switches, worked very well. It does nopt appear to have had any component or valve replacements.
The valve line up is A.M. ECH42 EBF80. F.M. ECC85 [ECH42? EBF80?]EF85 EB91, the later two mounted on a sub chassis.
The common af amp/monitor output is an ECC40 with an EZ41 as rectifier.
The sound quality is very good considering the use of one half of the ECC40 as monitor output. I would guess that around 300mw of audio is fed to the 5" speaker. Strangely the original TCC waxies are still fitted and read around 2meg! I have left them in place as it is pointless replacing them. The 6U5GT magic eye is clear and bright as you can see from the pic.
Does anyone know who manufactured this unit? Its a puzzle to me.
Regards, John.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Feeder unit..JPG
Views:	188
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	13584   Click image for larger version

Name:	Feeder unit. (1).JPG
Views:	172
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	13585  
Old 21st Nov 2007, 8:38 pm   #2
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: Identification of unusual feeder unit.

Well done for saving another one, John. As "commercial" sets go, it looks delightful with it's interesting dial and eye - much more interesting in that respect than the C&S units which have featured here recently, and very pre-war in style. And the build quality seems top-notch too

I wonder what its original purpose was?

N.
Old 21st Nov 2007, 9:56 pm   #3
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickthedentist View Post

I wonder what its original purpose was?

N.
Don't know, but I thought I'd point out that there was an identical unit - wrecked beyond repair - in the old Chain-Home RADAR bunker at Douglas Wood, Forfar, Scotland (in the field next to the Forfar VHF BBC transmitter) in August 1988.

Perhaps it was used for rediffusion or some other piped-radio service; around a factory, maybe?

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 21st Nov 2007, 11:03 pm   #4
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickthedentist View Post
As "commercial" sets go...
I meant to say "industrial"...
Old 21st Nov 2007, 11:34 pm   #5
geofy
Retired Dormant Member

Hi John
What a great find, how could someone just throw this out, the dial looks art deco though the rest looks, as you say 1950's. It reminds me of the monitor attached to a rake in a schools radio when a remote speaker would be plugged in while a volunteer would go to the cupboard at the other side of the school to turn on the radio for the afternoon program, usually selected several stations before the required one!

Geof
Old 22nd Nov 2007, 10:19 am   #6
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Thanks for all your information. I also collected some other items....watch this space. It appears to have been rack mounted so I suppose it could have been used for factory broadcast distribution. I bet it could tell a tale or two..
The selector switch on the front allowed you to tune the set while monitoring the sound and then switch it through to the main amp.
Does anyone know who actually manufactured these units?
Old 22nd Nov 2007, 10:48 am   #7
peter_sol
Octode

Hi it looks like the insides are made by philips. They did make this sort of industrial unit.
Old 22nd Nov 2007, 2:17 pm   #8
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatercathodeshort View Post
The F.M. section appears to be an afterthought but built into the chassis as original equipment. It is a Philips head with 10.7mc/s i.f. transformers and a Philips speaker. All other parts have no connection with Philips and the A.M. i.f. transfromers are manufactured by Weyrad.
Thanks for the input Peter. The F.M.unit is certainly a Philips product but the rest is definitely not unless manufactured by another company for Philips but using their own component sourcing. If it was Philips I think it would have the famous badge somewhere to be seen and an EM34 in place of the 6U5GT.
Thanks again, John.
Old 22nd Nov 2007, 3:37 pm   #9
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Interesting item John. Thought it might be a another Clarke Smith schools radio at first-looks like one at first glance [see vintage audio thread].
Suppose that's a form of industrial sound system!
No ideas re your unit except to say that business's clearly had these sort of items in place. Doesn't sound like there is any sort of balanced line output. I've something similar in Rammy except it's bigger, heaver and much more unattractive and [I think] does have a line output to go round the factory. It's an Ultra and the give away is a lift up front panel with a keyhole desined to lock away access to the controls. No VHF and I suspect about 1940's. Haven't done anything with it yet as the whole of the insides seems to be full of black pitch type stuff. Never seen any info on this one either if anybody out there has any ideas but I doubt if we will need a seperate thread. Dave
Old 23rd Nov 2007, 9:29 am   #10
davidw
Heptode

looks a nice find john. In the dim distant past I worked on an american airbase with piped radio,this unit looks similar (but I am talking 1966ish)All their stuff was TRIX.
regards dave.
Old 23rd Nov 2007, 9:17 pm   #11
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Thanks for the info Dave + Dave. I will give the case a clean and find a home for it.....
Thanks, John.
Closed Thread