UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 5th Aug 2007, 8:58 pm   #1
kitty040374
Retired Dormant Member

Smile replace 746 dial label

Hi

I'm wondering if anyone can help? I'm wanting to change the dial label on a 746 I've recently acquired. I can't seem to find any instructions as to how to do this. Can anyone give me some pointers? As detailed and non-techy as possible, as I'm new to this.

Thanks
K
Old 5th Aug 2007, 9:25 pm   #2
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Default Re: replace 746 dial label

I am not clear whether your problem is in removing the dial cover to change the label or sourcing a replacement label.

If the former, it is just a matter of prising off the central plastic disc. If the latter, the attached image may be of help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	700LABEL.JPG
Views:	2979
Size:	18.0 KB
ID:	11342  
Old 5th Aug 2007, 10:11 pm   #3
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Moll View Post

If the former, it is just a matter of prising off the central plastic disc. If the latter, the attached image may be of help.
I find the best way (especially for those stubborn jobbies) is to use a little plastic suction cup, of the sort used on the end of kids' bow-and-arrow sets. This facilitates easy removal without cracking the thin lip of plastic around the periphery of the central plastic disc.

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 5th Aug 2007, 10:12 pm   #4
AndiiT
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Moll View Post
......If the former, it is just a matter of prising off the central plastic disc. If the latter, the attached image may be of help.
The GPO way of removing the dial label cover was to use a rubber sucker, as these aren't readily available these days the cover can be easily removed by the use of a piece of sellotape; fold the tape over, place the sticky side on to the plastic label cover and with a little gentle persuasion the cover should "pop" off.

DO NOT BE TEMPTED to try and prise the cover off using a screwdriver you are almost certain to either break the cover or dial ring or possibly cause damage to the dial itself!!

Regards
Andrew
Old 5th Aug 2007, 10:35 pm   #5
AC/HL
Dekatron

Some of them can be removed by inserting an instrument screwdriver under the dial, between the dial and the phone body, and turning it. A shaped insert forces up the central disc if you get the position right,
Old 6th Aug 2007, 9:49 am   #6
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndiiT View Post
DO NOT BE TEMPTED to try and prise the cover off using a screwdriver you are almost certain to either break the cover or dial ring or possibly cause damage to the dial itself!!
Point taken! I usually use my fingernails, but have found a thin blade OK as long as one avoids a twisting motion - and proceeds GENTLY. I haven't broken one yet.
Old 6th Aug 2007, 7:13 pm   #7
AndiiT
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC/HL View Post
Some of them can be removed by inserting an instrument screwdriver under the dial, between the dial and the phone body, and turning it. A shaped insert forces up the central disc if you get the position right,
The above instruction is only valid for the earlier 706 type dials which are usually coloured the same as the main body of the telephone. For later plastic dials (746 or a 706s' that have been through BTs "Wipe up" process) proceed as detailed earlier in this post.

Regards
Andrew
Old 7th Aug 2007, 7:40 am   #8
bobsterkent
Hexode

When I was an apprentice, the way we was shown how to remove the dial cover was to tap the dial with a number 2 screwdriver handle (about the number 3 hole) and the centre would pop out. I have seen the suction things but never used them.
Old 7th Aug 2007, 1:47 pm   #9
Tom_I
Heptode

That's jogged my memory. I remember that's how GPO engineers used to do it - a tap with a screwdriver handle, and the centre would just pop out. No doubt they'd had plenty of practice though, and knew exactly where and how hard to hit it.

On balance it's probably safer to use one of the other methods.

Tom
Old 11th Aug 2007, 11:30 am   #10
gpogal
Retired Dormant Member

Tape is the best way to go, strong multi strand packing tape is best cause its really sticky. I used to use the tap with a No 1 or 2 screwdriver handle method put it takes practice. So be aware if you use any other method apart from stick tape you are very likely to crack the plastic cover :-(
Old 12th Aug 2007, 12:21 am   #11
plumbweiss
Retired Dormant Member

The later ones had a hole for a pin you could push in.

In the early 1980's I was nosing through BT Yarnfield stores and they had racks of rubber stamps on dexion shelves with the names of the exchanges on them...and handfuls of the rubber suckers, mounted on small wooden dowels.
Old 14th Jan 2008, 3:15 am   #12
OldGuyGPO
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumbweiss View Post
The later ones had a hole for a pin you could push in.

In the early 1980's I was nosing through BT Yarnfield stores and they had racks of rubber stamps on dexion shelves with the names of the exchanges on them...and handfuls of the rubber suckers, mounted on small wooden dowels.
Sounds like the rubber suckers on the dowls were for hand grinding cylider head valve faces?

I definately used the rubber sucker when on "Sub's Apps" to replace dial labels. It was just a sucker (plastic type material) with a small ball shape to hold the sucker.
Closed Thread