UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Aug 2019, 2:21 pm   #1
Chrissywissy
Tetrode

Default FT-101ZD DC converter query

Hi All

I have been looking for a DC voltage converter box for the rear of my FT-101ZD for ages and one turned up recently so I bought it! Thinking to myself I'll just plug this in the back of the transceiver I removed the metallic tape on the back panel only to find that there was no socket! Taking the lid off revealed some neatly taped up wires with stripped ends going into the mains transformer!

Does anyone know if this is a special model which required retro fitting of the socket by Yaesu or is the special socket supplied with the DC converter kit?

I will be searching for a socket for this but, if its anything like as rare as the mains input connector, I will be searching until the cows come home! If anyone has information, parts etc, I would dearly like to hear from them!

Cheers

Chris G4RBR
Old 3rd Aug 2019, 7:30 pm   #2
ex seismic
Heptode

Default Re: FT-101ZD DC converter query

Probably not what you want to hear, but mine is the same as yours. I haven't opened it but it has the metal tape over a rectangular hole on the back panel.

Gordon G7KNS
Old 3rd Aug 2019, 8:31 pm   #3
Mike. Watterson
Heptode

I don't think any of the MkIII version have the socket. My MKII had the connector and my MkIII does not.
You can see that the HT inverter is pretty simple from looking at the circuit and hardly more than a transistorised vibrator pack.

The current draw is pretty severe. Moding to use 12V for LT direct and mains from 12V inverter might make more sense.

I've used my FT101ZD MkII and then my MkIII on generators. Unless you have a running vehicle with heavy duty battery and alternator the DC operation isn't very practical.

I think that's why it was discontinued with the MkIII. Certainly all earlier models I seen have the connector even without the "DC Converter box" which is little more than two transistors on a heatsink with a couple of caps.
Connections are +12V, 0V, push pull drive (x2) and feedback windings to bases (x2).
It's well documented on the FoxTango group.
Old 4th Aug 2019, 1:36 pm   #4
Chrissywissy
Tetrode

Hi Chaps

Many thanks for your valuable comments. I have emailed Yaesu with the part numbers but I'm not holding out much hope for obtaining the connector!

Regards

Chris
G4RBR
Closed Thread