UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Oct 2018, 11:21 pm   #21
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Default Re: What radio & TV shop advertising do you remember?

# It's great service you get renting your colour set from Granada! #

That featured live action, but a previous, and largely forgotten TV campaign caused some controversy in the depots.

It depicted the engineers and customers as animated cartoon characters, and the engineers were dressed casually with polo-neck tops etc, where in reality we had a strict collar & tie dress code and would soon get a written warning if we digressed.

Naturally the question was asked about the inconsistency, you should have heard the men in suits trying to justify it, saying the characters in the adverts did not reflect customer expectations!
Old 12th Oct 2018, 1:24 pm   #22
Richard_FM
Octode

I remember the Granada engineer who serviced my parents set had a red overcoat with the logo on the front.
Old 12th Oct 2018, 3:22 pm   #23
electronicskip
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_FM View Post
I remember Rumbelows late TV advert "Don't Pay Any More Mrs Moore".
I have a video tape which was on a loop with all of the Rumbelows adverts on which I got when the shops closed down .

I also have lots of the original advertising boards from Rumbelows somewhere and bits n bobs .
Also a loop videotape of the option 3 advert which used to go out for Rumbelows.
Old 12th Oct 2018, 3:30 pm   #24
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

I was a Granada engineer and yes we wore that maroon coat and carried a "Prayer Mat"!

As it was called to protect the customers carpet from solder blobs.
Old 12th Oct 2018, 3:48 pm   #25
Richard_FM
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by electronicskip View Post
Quote:
I remember Rumbelows late TV advert "Don't Pay Any More Mrs Moore".
I have a video tape which was on a loop with all of the Rumbelows adverts on which I got when the shops closed down .

I also have lots of the original advertising boards from Rumbelows somewhere and bits n bobs .
Also a loop videotape of the option 3 advert which used to go out for Rumbelows.
I remember Rumbelows having a shop in Stockport town centre, but don't remember my parents shopping there, Comet seemed to be their usual shop for anything electrical.

Rumbelows managed to keep a high profile with their ads & sponsoring the league cup, but I understand the were always a loss leader for EMI, which probably explains why they were a casualty of the early 1990s recession.
Old 12th Oct 2018, 4:21 pm   #26
electronicskip
Nonode

It was well known that Rumbelows never made a profit under the Thorn Emi banner.
We were made to do some totally ridiculous things including Wallpapering the display panels and other weird stuff.
Old 12th Oct 2018, 4:30 pm   #27
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Quote:
Rumbelows managed to keep a high profile with their ads & sponsoring the league cup, but I understand the were always a loss leader for EMI, which probably explains why they were a casualty of the early 1990s recession.
Sometimes it's not about making a profit in that particular business-unit; if they break even but increase the profitability of another unit within the business (manufacturing, for example) by increasing sales-volume, it may still have been worth running the shops at a notional loss. The loss can of course be offset against your corporation-tax-bill too.

The 1990s were kinda tough for the smaller electronics/white-goods retailers; Wigfalls was another which mysteriously seemed to vanish from the high-street along with some of the smaller supermarkets (Kwik-save, Victor Value, International Stores...) in the same timeframe.
Old 12th Oct 2018, 8:04 pm   #28
CambridgeWorks
Nonode

As a 12 year old in the 60s, I had a Saturday morning job at a small local radio/tv/electrical shop. J.H Rowell & son, Yaxley, near Peterborough.
Often going out with the owner delivering batteries, lightbulbs torches and the occasional small repair, all around the local villages.
Upon return, an emptying of waste bins in the workshop and the small main shop and then having a bonfire in the orchard.
One day, I found an Ever Ready marketing item removed from the shop window as no longer wanted. It was made of a flat card and shaped a bit like a flat metronome, with various publicity printed on it. The centre part had a thin wire needle that swung side to side, operated by a U2 battery with a small coil electromagnet that the bottom part of the pointer (with a magnet on) could freely swing left or right through. There was a simple flap switch that gave a pulse of dc each time the magnet passed through the coil. This gave continual left and right motion, sustained by the pulse through the coil repelling (or attracting?) the magnet.
I can almost picture it today, 55 years later.
How I wish I still had it, just to remind me of my initiation into this great hobby.
Rob
Old 12th Oct 2018, 9:35 pm   #29
teetoon
Heptode

Hi Rob. That's a HANKSCRAFT DISPLAY MOTOR that you describe and I remember them in various animated shop displays. My Dad rescued this one. I think it was from an Ever Ready battery sign. I can picture one of these in our local TV rental shop run by Mr Smith.

Sorry for the poor pics, I just can't get the right lighting at the moment.
David.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1337.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	170793   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1338.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	170794   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1339.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	170795   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1340.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	170796  
Old 13th Oct 2018, 8:44 am   #30
rontech
Heptode

Perhaps they should have used "Hear more rumble on a turntable from Rumbelows"
Old 13th Oct 2018, 8:52 am   #31
CambridgeWorks
Nonode

Thanks David, never heard of Handcraft.
Rob
Old 14th Oct 2018, 8:26 am   #32
electronicskip
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6Tanuki View Post
What was the TV-rentals chain that used Harry Worth as the 'star' in their TV ads in the 1960s, doing his standing-at-the-edge-of-the-window-and-lifting-his-arm-and-leg-so-the-reflection-made-it-look-like-he-was-flying act?

Civic??

Then of course there was Andre Previn (or Andrew Preview as Morecambe&Wise were apt to call him) abd his Ferguson 'probably the best picture of all time' ads in the late-1970s.
I think this is the Harry Worth Civic clip that your thinking of .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iugrSJIgz8
Old 14th Oct 2018, 9:49 am   #33
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Yes I remember the Andre Previn advert but it all fell apart when they discovered he owned a HITACHI!

'Melony, tea time and bring the television'. This is the incredible new television from KB etc.
I remember a young girl running down the stairs carrying a KB 'Featherlight' 11" dual standard portable. [It's a wonder the handle didn't snap off]

'Peto-Scott, Peto Scott. For perfect picture, perfect sound, ask your dealer for Peto-Scott! [Now I'm showing my age]

Does anyone remember the Gibbard Rentals life size cardboard cut outs of the 'Gay Cavalier' complete with sword and feathered hat! There was a cut out to place the Invicta 7069 [PYE 11U] in the center. What a hoot!

The Granada adverts involved a Red Indian logo with the 'GRANADALAND arrow on the back of the van.

Toshiba reps presented us with many really nice gifts over the years. I still have a number packed away in drawers and cupboards but this real Japanese silk scarf came to hand. It dates from around 1979 I guess.
They also had many gimmick items to advertise a certain product. I had some clockwork model 'Cutie' televisions that would walk across the table! I gave most of them away to local kids but kept one or two for myself, no doubt packed in tissue paper somewhere!

The opened but unwrapped Roberts Radio RM20 was presented to me and a few other Roberts agents in 1977 to commemorate the Queens silver jubilee. The front is trimmed with solid silver together with the plate on the top.It was a limited edition of course. happy Days!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Advertising (3).jpg
Views:	117
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	170867   Click image for larger version

Name:	Advertising (4).jpg
Views:	106
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	170868   Click image for larger version

Name:	Advertising (2).jpg
Views:	114
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	170869   Click image for larger version

Name:	Advertising (1).jpg
Views:	107
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	170870   Click image for larger version

Name:	Advertising (5).jpg
Views:	104
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	170871  

Old 14th Oct 2018, 10:47 am   #34
Richard_FM
Octode

I remember Toshiba's "Tosh" figure being used for many years.

They also used a re-sing of the Gracie Fields song "She's The Girl" to show off all the areas of electronics they were active on.
Old 14th Oct 2018, 1:43 pm   #35
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Getting slightly off-topic, I remember a Toshiba advert on television from the early 1990s. The words of the song were something like :

The future will be great
With your new Toshiba
But you'll just have to wait
For your new Toshiba
NICAM stereo
Coming to Toshiba
It's digitial, don't you know
[Spoken]Don't want any clicks and fuzzy-buzzies
Every note you hear
On your new Toshiba
Will sound jolly clear

Why do I remember it? It was one of the first things I picked up after building and aligning the Maplin NICAM TV tuner/decoder kit. Had that unit, cover off, on my bench linked to a green screen composite video monitor and a little stereo amplfier feeding headphones. And I heard an advert for a NICAM TV that was coming soon when I was listening to NICAM stereo sound. Still have the Maplin NICAM tuner unt, useless now of course.
Old 14th Oct 2018, 1:44 pm   #36
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Who remembers the Red Arrow Indian?

https://m.ebay.ie/sch/sis.html?isRef...=1&_mwBanner=1
Old 14th Oct 2018, 2:50 pm   #37
G4YVM David
Heptode

That silver Roberts is a thing of beauty. I can hardly believe it isnt out on display
Old 14th Oct 2018, 2:57 pm   #38
ms660
Dekatron

"Hello tosh gotta Toshiba".....Aargh.

Lawrence.
Old 14th Oct 2018, 3:05 pm   #39
regentone001
Heptode

I vaguely remember a cardboard little boy figure with "Sony" on it playing on the name Sonny,when I worked in Owen Owen in Coventry in the 70s
Old 14th Oct 2018, 3:07 pm   #40
dazzlevision
Dekatron

From the mid 60s and probably up to the demise of the Ultra brand in the 1970s (apart from a few few TV sets sold as specials by the large retail chains).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BFFC541B-3FDF-4450-9229-E6718BCAD43D.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	170914  
Closed Thread