UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Feb 2016, 11:19 am   #1
Stephen Naunton
Tetrode

Default Hacker SP80

Hello. I'm currently working on a Hacker SP80, which is cleaning up nicely. The standard of manufacture of these later sets is disappointing, but as a collector I think it deserves its place in history as Hackers final throw of the dice to produce a top range set. My problem is the bass control appears faulty, Volume, treble and balance have all been coaxed back into life with switch cleaner and re-soldering of dry joints etc. They look a very cheap and nasty device which would probably disintegrate if dismantled (has anybody attempted it?) or can anyone recommend a suitable replacement. It appears to be stuck on full bass which makes a boxy booming sounding radio all the worse. Thanks Steve.
Old 25th Feb 2016, 11:31 am   #2
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Default Re: Hacker SP80

Hi Stephen,
Cannot help with the control, but any chance of a photo of the radio. I have never seen an SP80.
Frank
Old 25th Feb 2016, 11:41 am   #3
Stephen Naunton
Tetrode

Easy just google Hacker SP80 and the radio museum has some photos. It was produced at the Maidenhead factory but then at Bournemouth when Hacker got into financial trouble and the company Hacker sound was formed. A stereo portable which looks impressive but was never up to the same quality as the earlier sovereigns etc. My model was a later one made at Bournmouth.
Old 25th Feb 2016, 2:23 pm   #4
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Hi Stephen,

Sorry I've no counsel to offer re. the bass control, but if your SP80 is from Bournemouth it's a very rare bird: I've only ever seen one, with a typical mainly dark Bournemouth control panel which I've always thought looks much better on the radio than the standard very shiny version. Any chance of letting us know the serial number if the label that carries it hasn't dropped off? It will start with a B, the next number is determined by the model and I don't yet know what it would be for an SP80.

Here's a photo of the pots in my SP80, CTS types: CTS are still around so I wonder if a direct replacement may still be in production. Are yours the same?

Regards,
Paul
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2007_09170040bsx.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	120635  

Last edited by Paul_RK; 25th Feb 2016 at 2:44 pm.
Old 25th Feb 2016, 2:37 pm   #5
Nuvistor
Dekatron

I wonder why the quality was not as good, that photo from Paul show it using good quality Mullard components.
Presume at lot of the expertise moved on after the fire and then the move to Bournemouth.
Will look on the museum site.
thanks
Frank
Old 25th Feb 2016, 3:09 pm   #6
Stephen Naunton
Tetrode

Hello Paul serial number has dropped off I'm afraid but definitely a Bournmouth Hacker as it has a white label stating where it was made affixed over the normal yellow Maidenhead label. It also has the darker Perspex tuning panel you describe. When coxtie green closed parts must have been taken down to Bornmouth to continue production,this would seem to suggest it was one of the earlier models made there. Controls are exactly as in your photograph. Would be nice to get it fully restored as its in A1 condition. The speaker covers at both ends had to be reshaped with Velcro to refit them,if it was'nt for the need to keep it totally original I would have manufactured something more substantial. Standards had really slipped,but by the the Hacker brothers had left only being retained as consultants.
Old 25th Feb 2016, 9:26 pm   #7
mhennessy
Dekatron

Hi Stephen,

I had to replace a volume control on one of these, and had to bodge things ever so slightly: http://www.markhennessy.co.uk/articl...trols.htm#sp80

If you scroll up slightly from that part of the page, you'll see the green Omeg types that are suitable replacements for some of their sets. It's possible that the bass control could be replaced with one of those, though I haven't tried it yet... The bass control needs to be a log type (same basic amplifier circuit that they've used since the RP25 days). The Omeg pots will need to have a flat section cut onto the shaft for the knob to fit.

It's also possible that one of these would fit: http://uk.farnell.com/bourns/91a2a-b...10k/dp/9357858 - these can be ordered with long flexible leads, as the picture shows. Finding a 50k version might be tricky these days, as generally speaking potentiometers are less plentiful and more expensive than they used to be because firmware-driven products with cheap tactile switches and contacting rotary encoders are taking over. I didn't immediately spot one at Farnell at least...

Good luck with the fix. Disappointing as the sound and (some aspects of) the build quality might be, they still need to be preserved.
Old 26th Feb 2016, 6:42 am   #8
Stephen Naunton
Tetrode

Thanks for the advice Mark,will get it back onto the workbench today. The cpc pot looks a good match and a distinct possible fix. However will persist with original to see if there's any hope of saving it. Agree it needs preserving as a unit,actually the stereo separation is really good. Must address a few case reverberation issues though,the plastic tray it stands on vibrates quite nastily.
Old 26th Feb 2016, 8:57 am   #9
mark pirate
Dekatron

Quote:
I have never seen an SP80.
Neither have I until now, looks an impressive set though.
No surprise regarding the fall in quality, by then most British manufacturers were struggling to stay afloat.

Roberts sets also were no longer being built to their previous standards, but they did survive and are still making sets in this country, although most of their sets are just rebadged far eastern stuff.

Mark
Old 26th Feb 2016, 11:12 am   #10
Stephen Naunton
Tetrode

Success! Removed control and flood cleaned with servisol,also repaired yet more dry joints. Now I'm able to back off the Bass it's much more pleasant to listen to. I've owned one of these previously and I think there was some foam sound deadning fitted inside the speaker enclosures,none such existed on this one,should there be? Thanks to all those who gave me some pointers.
Old 26th Feb 2016, 1:35 pm   #11
mhennessy
Dekatron

Good news

I don't believe they were originally fitted with foam from the factory. I have come across a couple that had some, but they were obviously poor DIY bodges that made little difference because it was standard market-stall foam (few realise that the stuff fitted to loudspeaker enclosures is a special acoustic type - and is well worth saving if you're scrapping the boxes).

Do be aware that there is a risk if you allow the foam to come into contact with the mains transformer...

To stop standing waves between the front and rear panels, you'd need a serious amount of high density foam or Rockwool. And 2 or 3 layers of bitumen felt would be needed on the panels themselves. When I looked into it, I decided that given the uneven basic response of the drive units, it wasn't worth the effort - far better to let it stand as it is - an unusual, perhaps brave attempt at producing a luxury flagship model in an extremely difficult market. They couldn't have expected to have sold very many! The novelty of stereo detracts from the poor frequency response - perhaps more so that we'd appreciate today - but of course the "ghetto blaster" put paid to that for them.

Quite possibly the worst example of "misguided acoustic modifications" that I've seen was a slab of Rockwool mounted on the rear panel of an RV14, blocking virtually all of the ventilation slots. It was in contact with valves! As you can imagine, this had far more impact on the internal temperature than the basic sound quality, and frankly the owner was lucky to have gotten away with it! At least Rockwool is fireproof
Old 26th Feb 2016, 1:39 pm   #12
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Good to know all's well now. There's no lagging in the 'speaker enclosures of mine, just the elliptical Elac units - are yours the same? I'll include a photo too showing where the batteries go for anyone who's curious, in a holder underneath the cabinet protected by a plastic tray which I always think of together with the battery holder and side grilles as the set's weak points, though most of the trays seem to have survived nearly forty years.

Paul
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2007_09170036 reduced.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	120673   Click image for larger version

Name:	2007_09170029 reduced.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	120674  
Old 26th Feb 2016, 2:14 pm   #13
Stephen Naunton
Tetrode

Actually no not Elac speaker units,will have to take it apart again to verify what they are,perhaps another' Bournmouth sound 'economy measure? Sound quality is certainly no match for my Hunter,Super Sovereign,Sovereign2/3 etc but pleasing enough on Classic FM where the stereo separation works well. Probably not a keeper for me as can't really see me using in in preference to the aforementioned radio's. A real piece of Hacker history though,could have been great if designed and manufactured to the same standard as the earlier Maidenhead Hackers.
Old 26th Feb 2016, 2:24 pm   #14
mhennessy
Dekatron

Oooo - now my inner "loudspeaker geek" is interested! So far, I've only seen the 6-by-4 Elacs (46HE/42) fitted to those...

Some of the other sets (e.g. the Consort) used a 6-by-4 Audax as well as the Elac. The Audax has a grey painted frame IIRC.
Old 26th Feb 2016, 2:26 pm   #15
Stephen Naunton
Tetrode

Speaker nits are Audax and state manufactured in France. Not a retro fit, obviously been there since it was produced.
Probably a case of using what was available as the financial noose closed.
Closed Thread