UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Oct 2012, 4:06 am   #1
TIMTAPE
Octode

Default Revox B77 record head resistors

Someone recently showed me a Revox B77 head block. Soldered onto the record head pins were two resistors, each in parallel with the left and right internal coils respectively. The man asked me what was the purpose of the resistors and I had to admit I wasnt sure. Obviously some loading at higher frequencies but why? For a higher speed model? For later high energy tapes? I've not seen it on a B77.

Any clues? Thanks.

Cheers Tim
Old 19th Oct 2012, 8:44 am   #2
Michael Maurice

Default Re: Revox B77 record head resistors

I've never seen it on any Studer/Revox machine, there's certainly no reference to it in the service manual

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Old 19th Oct 2012, 9:10 am   #3
peter_sol
Octode

Sometimes the record current is measured by fitting temporary series resistors and measuring the voltage across them.
Of course the resistors are removed afterwards.
Old 19th Oct 2012, 10:55 am   #4
TIMTAPE
Octode

Thanks Michael and Peter. The only other possible clue is that the headblock is brand new (no headwear). Peter perhaps what you said suggests that the resistors were part of the setup of the headblock in the factory and they omitted to remove said resistors before sale of the headblock as a spare part.

Cheers Tim
Old 19th Oct 2012, 11:43 am   #5
DOFFERY
Retired Dormant Member

What value are the resistors Tim?

Colin.
Old 19th Oct 2012, 12:18 pm   #6
julie_m
Dekatron

Resistors used for current testing would be wired in series with the head coils; and probably would have a value of 10 * 10 ** something, to simplify calculations.

There might be a reason to connect a resistance across the coils for transport purposes; perhaps to prevent induced voltages from arcing across, if the heads were passed at high speed through a strong magnetic field?
Old 19th Oct 2012, 1:01 pm   #7
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Hi
I'd agree with AJS - these heads were very delicate and a low-value resistor would ensure they came to no harm. Obviously we'll be able to tell from whether they're in series or parallel.
Glyn
Old 19th Oct 2012, 1:30 pm   #8
TIMTAPE
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOFFERY View Post
What value are the resistors Tim?

Colin.
Hi Colin,

I dont have the headblock with me at present but will ask the owner to bring it over next time. I recall a brown and a black band so I guess it's 10, 100R or something like that. Resistors definitely in parallel with the windings.

Cheers Tim
Old 19th Oct 2012, 1:35 pm   #9
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile Re: Revox B77 record head resistors

Hi,
If protection was required, why use a resistor?, wouldn't just a shorting wire link do the trick?
Cheers, Pete
Old 19th Oct 2012, 3:19 pm   #10
DOFFERY
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Tim,
As you will know it was the pactice in the "early" days to use a resistor in the head cct.for measuring bias which was given as a standard value ,no trimpots etc. Perhaps someone using the early methods, as you just have a head block (new?)difficult to pin it down but if the values you mention are correct it could well be.

I have seldom seen resistors fitted to heads for anything but measurements,which as you mention could well be the case.

Colin.
Old 19th Oct 2012, 7:40 pm   #11
llama
Octode

Could they be to test the head coils for continuity without passing excess current through the heads?
So if the resistance upon measurement reads 100 R the coil is o/c but if it reads 99.5 R (or whatever) it is intact. I realise this is asking a lot of resistor and meter accuracy, but I've read somewhere that heads shouldn't be tested for continuity willy-nilly.
Graham
Old 20th Oct 2012, 9:05 am   #12
julie_m
Dekatron

Continuity-testing of tape heads is best done with AC, to avoid leaving them permanently magnetised (which will damage recordings). But the test currents used by modern digital meters are small enough not to do this.
Old 23rd Oct 2012, 10:36 am   #13
TIMTAPE
Octode

Update: The owner of the B77 headblock tells me the resistors are 120R if that means anything to anyone.

Cheers

Tim
Old 23rd Oct 2012, 10:47 am   #14
DOFFERY
Retired Dormant Member

Tim,
Methinks it is as per post 10,can't explain why these days.

Colin.
Old 28th Oct 2012, 11:56 pm   #15
Radio Wrangler

Continuity testing with AC doesn't do the job unless the signal is faded-down gently. A quick disconnection can leave the core magnetised.

The resistors could have been added to new blocks to allow them to be de-magged before shipment without risking either silly currents into a short or silly voltages into an open load.

David