UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Oct 2012, 1:26 am   #1
suebutcher
Heptode

Default Acos crystal mics.

Part of a 1959 advert for Acos. I thought it might be of some help with the FAQ "What mike would work with this recorder?". Prices are Australian, as usual. If anyone wants a more detailed scan of the microphone images, let me know.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	acos.jpg
Views:	499
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	71898  
Old 27th Oct 2012, 11:37 am   #2
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile Re: Acos crystal mikes

Hi,
The second one from the left (MIC40) used to to supplied with the "Fidelity Playmaster" tape recorder and was badged accordingly.
I wonder what the exchange rate between the Australian pound and the British pound would have been at that time?
Cheers, Pete
Old 27th Oct 2012, 11:59 am   #3
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: Acos crystal mikes

Also seen that one with a Portadyne machine of the same era and price bracket (i.e. a cheapie with a BSR TD2 deck).

Nick.
Old 27th Oct 2012, 12:50 pm   #4
fetteler
Octode

I had the second from the left too. It came with my Fidelity TR6 tape recorder ~ '67 - 68 ish I guess.... Ahhhhh... hapy days

Steve.

PS I should add that the "pleasant two tone colours" were, in my case, light grey for the body and a medium grey for the fold down stand. Very smart in its day.

Last edited by fetteler; 27th Oct 2012 at 12:52 pm. Reason: PS colours
Old 27th Oct 2012, 12:54 pm   #5
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

They were black and black in the case of mine!
Old 27th Oct 2012, 3:52 pm   #6
brenellic2000
Octode

To be honest, the ACOS (later Acos-Cosmocord) was available for almost every 'domestic' British tape deck of the 1950s/early 1960s - standard on budget cheap and cheerful models (Alba, Fidelity etc) or as cheaper option to the better Lustraphone used by Brenell etc.

Acos also made 'branded' mics such as the Credenza. Stan Kelly of speaker fame was their Chief Engineer.

Barry
Old 27th Oct 2012, 8:39 pm   #7
AndiiT
Octode

Hi,
I have seen the ACOS Mic 40 supplied with a number of "budget" machines over the years including Ekco and the BSR 222 and 444 "catalogue specials"

The microphones supplied with the Fidelity Playmaster were often badged as Fidelity, but I have seen ACOS badged ones supplied with the Playmaster too.

The later Fidelity Braemar (basically a cosmetically "enhanced" Playmaster) was supplied with the more modern looking ACOS Mic 43.

Regards

Andrew
Old 28th Oct 2012, 11:06 am   #8
suebutcher
Heptode

Default Re: Acos crystal mics.

In answer to your question, Pete, the exchange rate in the early sixties was somewhere around one pound ten shillings Australian to a British pound. But our local electronics industry was heavily protected by import duty, too, and that's reflected in the high prices for British-made equipment.
Old 28th Oct 2012, 11:32 am   #9
suebutcher
Heptode

Default Re: Acos crystal mics.

Here's the original mike for the Walter 303 Mk1. It's diecast, with an Acos element inside.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	acos_t.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	71923  
Closed Thread