UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Dec 2007, 9:23 pm   #1
TimS
Pentode

Default DAC90 dropper

I'm thinking of swapping my DAC90 dropper resistor for a capacitor dropper - does anyone who's done this know the correct value for the cap?

Also - is there a consenus on what to do with the asbestos!?

-- Tim.
Old 14th Dec 2007, 9:33 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: DAC90 dropper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimS View Post
I'm thinking of swapping my DAC90 dropper resistor for a capacitor dropper - does anyone who's done this know the correct value for the cap?
Download Paul Stenning's spreadsheet calculator from the bottom of this page: http://www.vintage-radio.com/repair-...per-calcs.html This allows you to play around with various combinations of capacitor and surge limiter. It can also work out the values for a diode dropper which some people prefer.
Quote:
Also - is there a consenus on what to do with the asbestos!?
Leave it alone if it's in good condition. Otherwise spray it with water to trap any dust, remove it, double wrap it in plastic bags and shove it in the rubbish.

Paul
Old 17th Dec 2007, 4:11 pm   #3
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post
Leave it alone if it's in good condition. Otherwise spray it with water to trap any dust, remove it, double wrap it in plastic bags and shove it in the rubbish.
If doing this I would remove the shield from the set completely (if possible) and do the whole asbestos removal under water. That will prevent the dust getting into the air and into your lungs. Otherwise do it outdoors at arms length and position yourself down-wind.

The majority of "restored" DAC90s I see in BVWS auctions still have the asbestos in place.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 17th Dec 2007, 4:20 pm   #4
Steve_P
Dekatron

Agreed Paul. Both of my two DAC90's have the dropper in place too. And three more I had in for repair over the years. There's a lot of panic about droppers and asbestos.

1: The TV set BRC1580 had one, and any mains variation spelt trouble.
2: If the asbestos is good, leave it. If not, then try a ceramic wall tile as a substitute.

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...light=Asbestos

Here is was suspect. If it's not in yours, then leave it.

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 18th Dec 2007, 3:22 am   #5
Donald_S
Retired Dormant Member

Does the DAC90A also have asbestos in the dropper resistor or is it just the DAC90?

Don
Old 18th Dec 2007, 1:19 pm   #6
Colin
Heptode

The DAC90A doesn't have any asbestos around the dropper, this arrangement is just seen in the DAC90.
Old 18th Dec 2007, 2:22 pm   #7
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald_S View Post
Does the DAC90A also have asbestos in the dropper resistor or is it just the DAC90?

Don
I happen to have my 90A here with its back off so, for the benefit of Don, attached is a pic showing the dropper of the 90A.

As will be seen, the dropper is located further inside the cabinet compared to the 90 and there's no heatshield.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	90a.JPG
Views:	165
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	14058  
Old 18th Dec 2007, 6:13 pm   #8
Donald_S
Retired Dormant Member

Colin and Darren, thanks for your replies. I am glad the DAC90A doesn't have any asbestos in it. One less thing to worry about!

Don
Old 18th Dec 2007, 8:56 pm   #9
TimS
Pentode

Thanks for the info.

I found and followed a suggestion to paint the asbestos with white emulsion - the edges were slightly fibrous, but otherwise it is OK.

Its not a 'daily use' set so no capacitor dropper yet. Apart from anything else the set currently has no back and as such is well ventilated at the moment...

-- Tim.
Closed Thread