UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Aug 2019, 8:48 pm   #1
hillmanie
Pentode

Default Reel to reel drive belts

Read here much info re reel to reel belts and the making of custom belts from a DIY O-ring source. Have seen this advertiser who recommends super glue for the join. Have any of you folks tried this and does the joint stand up the the pull involved? As part of a tiny minority I've not had much success with superglue.I see there are lots of belts for popular models but am guessing that some of my beauts may not be listed
Thanks
TT
Old 29th Aug 2019, 12:38 pm   #2
ricard
Octode

Default Re: Reel to reel drive belts

O-rings are available in a multitude of dimensions, including ones that have the large diameters would would need for belts, so it should be possible to find one that fits without needing to cut it. I know when I bought O-rings to use as belts for Tandberg tape recorders, that they were available in dimensions with diameters in increments of 5-6 mm or so.

I've had good success with superglue otherwise. The same material used for O-rings is available in string form so you can take as much as you need without having to sacrifice a ready made O-ring and have a piece left over that you don't know what to do with. The resilience of the rubber means the brittle cyanoacrylite joint is not subjected to any sharp knocks. But a belt of the correct dimension is always preferable.
Old 29th Aug 2019, 1:50 pm   #3
hillmanie
Pentode

Thanks for input. Re finding the right size I guess the trick is to find the right knowledgeable engineering supplies place where 'the man' could explore the choices in sight. eBay is probably a more scatter gun approach as one has to wade through all the adverts in hope of coming upon the right match. Am encouraged by your success with the super glue, that is if it comes to that
Rgds
TT
Old 29th Aug 2019, 2:01 pm   #4
cmjones01
Nonode

I had to replace a square section drive belt recently in a cassette recorder. I didn't have one of the right size but had some bigger ones. I cut a section out with a very sharp scalpel (it's important to get a clean, square edge) and stuck the ends together with superglue, very carefully under a magnifier. You only get one chance: trying to reposition the joint will wreck it.

The belt seems to work fine, though it hasn't been used a huge amount since then.

Chris
Old 29th Aug 2019, 2:07 pm   #5
hillmanie
Pentode

May be of interest to cassette folks but there's a current eBay ad for a whole handful of various sized cassette belts - at reasonable price if I recall correctly
TT
Old 31st Aug 2019, 11:20 pm   #6
hillmanie
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricard View Post
O-rings are available in a multitude of dimensions, including ones that have the large diameters would would need for belts, so it should be possible to find one that fits without needing to cut it. I know when I bought O-rings to use as belts for Tandberg tape recorders, that they were available in dimensions with diameters in increments of 5-6 mm or so.
I haven't come across those yet, but being now faced with several fixer uppers needing belts including the liquified Philips thing - new set ordered here - I can't find any for the Marconiphone. There is however a bewildering array of suppliers of O Ring 'rope' as it's called, and other rubber derivatives and since I can expect to see more belt trouble from the several awaiting first evaluation I'll get some of that stuff just in case. Even if I never use it it's so cheap (< £2/metre) that even I won't weep.
There seems to be some difference in belt thickness as between recorders and it's impossible to identify the size of black gunge in the Philips. I'll find some measurable but it looks about a range of 2-3 mm cross section to the naked eye.
If I have to go for the o ring rope solution I'll post my experience. There's even a belt 'welding machine' sort of vulcanising gadget on ebay. We'll see
TT
Old 31st Aug 2019, 11:54 pm   #7
ben
Dekatron

Look for a hydraulics supplier. They have a selection of O rings.
Old 1st Sep 2019, 12:08 am   #8
hillmanie
Pentode

Thanks. Willdo
Rgds
Closed Thread